American Airlines' Concierge Key Program

I just saw "Up in the Air", which sort of highlights this program and provides a lot of good brand imaging for AA. Is it true there are only 7 people in the program? Is it true that it takes 10 million miles? Are those butt in seat miles, or could I rack up 10M in points from credit card, hotels, etc.?

On the topic of that movie, I found it funny that all the in-flight/cabin shots were of the character(s) in AA international/next gen business class seats, yet they were flying on routes often served by MD80's and even RJ's. LOL. The aircraft take-off/landing shots were always of an MD80, too. If AA had someone working with them on product accuracy, as the article states, then they might have gotten these things correct.

I just saw "Up in the Air", which sort of highlights this program and provides a lot of good brand imaging for AA. Is it true there are only 7 people in the program? Is it true that it takes 10 million miles? Are those butt in seat miles, or could I rack up 10M in points from credit card, hotels, etc.?

There are thousands of CK members, and it doesn't take 10 million miles. That part is all fiction. As FA Mikey pointed out, CK is bestowed on big spenders and those who have the ability to steer big money to AA. Three or four years ago, AA formalized its "VIP" program with the precursor to CK and called it "VIP Connection." About 7,200 were invited to participate in a one-year trial. It was successful and the following year, AA expanded it and renamed it "Concierge Key."

CK is independent of status - so there are plenty of Platinum, Gold and no-status CK members, in addition to top-tier elites. Special phone # and dedicated premium services employees to help with requests. Truth be told, if one is top-tier, the EXP desk agents are 24-7 and can work wonders as well.

On the topic of that movie, I found it funny that all the in-flight/cabin shots were of the character(s) in AA international/next gen business class seats, yet they were flying on routes often served by MD80's and even RJ's. LOL. The aircraft take-off/landing shots were always of an MD80, too. If AA had someone working with them on product accuracy, as the article states, then they might have gotten these things correct.

That's the sort of creative license that filmakers have taken for decades. Generally, only airplane nerds like you and I notice these sorts of anachronisms and inaccuracies. RJs and super80s would not have been anywhere near as glamorous as the widebodies. B)

Just FYI, I think there is also a "check ride" element to the CK program. These members are often surveyed about their experience on particular flights. Was a pre-departure beverage offered in F/C? Was your name used with every transaction in F/C? If you were not sitting in F/C, were you offered a free snack (on Food for Sale flights)? Were you personally thanked for your patronage regardless of which cabin you were in?