American Airlines, JetBlue to end ticketing agreement

Hatu

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
MIA
March 10 (Reuters) - American Airlines and JetBlue Airways said they plan to end agreements covering ticketing, baggage handling and frequent flyer programs.

The airlines will not accept new interline sales with each other from Monday, the companies said on Monday.

The carriers also said customers using their reciprocal frequent-flyer programs would no longer earn miles or points when traveling on eligible routes, effective April 1.

The carriers did not say why they were ending the agreements. Both could not be immediately reached for comment outside regular U.S. business hours.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/american-airlines-jetblue-end-ticketing-115851172.html

Another wonderful byproduct of this USeless merger. I've taken JetBlue flights from BOS to several of the markets and it was nice to earn miles.

Josh

Reactions: 1 person
Makes sense to me. Why should the new AA subsidize JBlue now that the US route structure is in place. This really is one of the benefits of the merger.

Reactions: 3 people
josh that comment is sooo unnecessary  plain n simple    your hatred shows..   

johnnykat  I agree with you that its good   and with the new aa being one of the largest if not the largest in the NE  it does not make too much sense

This is a more appropriate way of handling the overlaps between AA & B6 as a result of the merger as well as growth.

Contrast this against how DL and AS have managed their growth & partnership... since you know WT will...

Reactions: 5 people
let's be very clear.  AA and B6 are completely severing ALL commercial relationships... including the standard interline ticketing agreement.

There is no way to say this move is in any way better than AS and DL who still have a partnership at multiple levels, even if they are also fiercely competing including in each others' key markets. 

AS and DL are still partners.  AA and B6 are not or will not be very soon.

Given that I said years ago that it is foolish for AA to have a partnership with a carrier that is using any benefit gained from AA to start new routes against AA, it makes all the sense in the world for AA to terminate the relationship.

AA has walked away or reduced service in a number of markets which B6 has started and B6' march into the S. Florida-Latin America market was undoubtedly the proverbial straw.

Reactions: 1 person
AFAIK. We were leasing slots at JFK from B6. I think we just traded the DCA slots leased to B6 for them. So, status quo.

And yet, you'll argue vehemently against the following:

WorldTraveler said:
it is foolish for AA AS to have a partnership with a carrier that is using any benefit gained from AA AS to start new routes against AA AS, it makes all the sense in the world for AA AS to terminate the relationship.

except BOTH AS and DL are using the partnership against each other and they BOTH have long term commitments to each other.

Further, DL's capacity added in AS markets FAR EXCEEDS what AS has added in DL markets and more significantly DL is achieving its strategic goals in SEA.

What strategic goals did AA achieve as a result of the partnership with B6?

WorldTraveler said:
let's be very clear.  AA and B6 are completely severing ALL commercial relationships... including the standard interline ticketing agreement.

Does jetBlue even have standard ticketing agreements with most other carriers? They started out as non interlining carrier (like most LCCs).  They did add a few selected carriers, including AA.  

I'll have to go look it up, but it is very limited. About 30 airlines, mostly international carrier serving JFK. AA was the only large domestic carrier they had an agreement with, plus a couple Part 135's like Cape Air and Seaborne.

Reactions: 2 people
many carriers have ZED arrangements with carriers that they otherwise have no relationship.  However, I don't know how likely it is if there isn't even a ticketing agreement. 

Lack of an interline agreement won't necessarily prevent employee or ZED from continuing. WN doesn't have interline agreements, but I believe they still participate in either ZED or offer ID75/ID90 to other carriers. Nonrev tickets can be easily settled thru the clearinghouse or directly between the airlines.

Latest posts