American To Spin-off Overhaul Maintenace Operation

Decision 2004

Veteran
Mar 12, 2004
According to undisclosed sources, AA will soon announce the Spin-Off of Overhaul Aircraft Maintenance Operations.

The TWU/AA pajama party was the completion of the plan to stand together holding hands while making the announcement.

Good Luck to everyone.

acmech said:
That sounds like another way for AA to cut wages through the back door.
[post="243616"][/post]​

Backdoor my A$$, they went right through the front door, and they are about to stick this right in everybody's face.

NewHampshire Black Bears said:
Could you guys(amt's) be more specific about "overhaul maint." vs heavy checks etc., and is OM performed at all 3 bases ??

Thanx,

NH/BB's
[post="243619"][/post]​

Overhaul Maintenance would be; Heavy and Light "C" checks and complete Engine overhaul. This also includes ECO's and AD's.

TUL and AFW perform most of this work, however MCI does some ECO's on the MD-80.
I believe that MCI also has some third party work going on.

Until I see an official announcement it's all just rumor and ineuendo. Come to think of it this is the first I have heard of this rumor.

I think something big is about to be announced with all the meetings between the TWU/AA. Weve been watching this so called CI event taking shape here in tulsa and it seems more like a major house cleaning as opposed to increasing productivity, kinda like what a person would do to their house when they are about to put it on the market. If O/H is spun off at least the line guys would be able to get A.M.F.A. and be rid of the TULSA anchor once and for all :up: .......BOHICA :mf_boff:

777 fixer said:
Until I see an official announcement it's all just rumor and ineuendo. Come to think of it this is the first I have heard of this rumor.
[post="243721"][/post]​
<_< Do you think this may be the way they're going to seperate you from your licence premium!!! Where's our Union? :shock: Boy that's a joke! The Boy's at UAL have just said NO! Think maybe we should do the same! But then again they have a Union!!!! :huh:

MCI transplant said:
<_< Do you think this may be the way they're going to seperate you from your licence premium!!! Where's our Union? :shock: Boy that's a joke! The Boy's at UAL have just said NO! Think maybe we should do the same! But then again they have a Union!!!! :huh:
[post="243742"][/post]​

That's the problem! The TWU would never recommend a NO vote AND a STRIKE vote. Regardless of economic times.

MCI transplant said:
[post="243742"][/post]​

Just the U mechs?

Hopeful said:
That's the problem! The TWU would never recommend a NO vote AND a STRIKE vote. Regardless of economic times.
[post="243747"][/post]​
BINGO................................!

local 12 proud said:
I think something big is about to be announced with all the meetings between the TWU/AA. Weve been watching this so called CI event taking shape here in tulsa and it seems more like a major house cleaning as opposed to increasing productivity, kinda like what a person would do to their house when they are about to put it on the market. If O/H is spun off at least the line guys would be able to get A.M.F.A. and be rid of the TULSA anchor once and for all :up: .......BOHICA :mf_boff:
[post="243739"][/post]​

NOT TRUE,

In the NMB American Eagle filing the Overhaul Bases were considered part the same craft or class as Line Mechanics even though the bases were different companies under the AMR umbrella.

Dont think for minute that AA and their toy union have not fully planned this to prevent loss of union dues!

All of us will remain in the same union, in the same craft or class. The only difference will be the labor agreements will be split and line will recover their concessions sooner, and the overhaul mechanic will be lucky to maintain his/her current pay/benefit status.

The big question will be, can an overhaul mechanic exercise his/her seniority to get out to the line before the big shaft sticks him/her from behind?

The TWU is a worthless dues collection agency and will lower pay/benefits as required to maintain dues payers.

It is NOT about the profession with the TWU, it is about jobs and dues payers!

Good Luck to everyone, this is going to get real interesting now!

The second big question will be can the TWU overhaul mechanic look ahead and understand what is about to happen to his livelyhood and profession?

The interesting thing from my sources is how the three day planner was all about saving TWU DUES and how the company and the company union will bring forth a unified front when presenting the details.

There is about to be much more than the "alliance flag" flying at the Tulsa/AFW Maintenance Bases.

Decision you make a valid point but you have also omitted that one clause in our contract......."THEY CAN DO THAT BROTHER"...... <_<

local 12 proud said:
Decision you make a valid point but you have also omitted that one clause in our contract......."THEY CAN DO THAT BROTHER"...... <_<
[post="243761"][/post]​

Simply read the new merger/spin-off/acquisition language negotiated in 2001 that reflects allegheny-mohawk and you will clearly see that "They can do that" brother and that AA has to honor the existing labor agreement.

The problems will surface once Jim Little "restructures" the TWU and the next negotiations happen.

It appears to me that the early opener clause will be executed and the results will not favor the overhaul mechanic.

Again, if you are in Overhaul, you simply need to know what options you have to get to the line as fast as possible. Does your seniority mean anything, or has the TWU given that away also?

I agree that Overhaul is now going to be targeted for the screwing. I said a while back that once the company feels they have used Tulsa to squeeze as much out of the line they could that they might spin off overhaul into a seperate contract. This way they could then squeeze even more savings out of overhaul. Although I said AMR.

As it is now line mechanics are resigning, we had two more this last month. Both with over 15 years, both excellent mechanics. In my 25 years in the industry I can't remember any mechanics with the type of time these guys had resigning.

Its also clear that those who remain are less than motivated. They feel they have no future. Most are looking to get out. However these things take time. Those who are the most agreesive and motivated, the ones who do the most work, will be the first to leave. In the end the company will only keep those who dont want to do anything.

The schools are not pumping out replacements either. Perhaps this is part of the plan to get Part 66 in place so Bush can claim that these are jobs "Americans dont want". The industry will claim there is "criss" due to a shortage as the excuse to lower standards.

People who feel they have no future with a company tend to do as little work as they can, no "pull together win together" when they feel that no matter how hard they pull they can only lose. This of course does not only apply to mechanics.

The profit sharing and incentive programs are insults. We only get profit sharing after $500 million in profits and the incentive program amounts to less than a PL every three months. People should give the extra effort and work themselves out of overtime so that maybe three months down the road they will get a once a quarter check for $30 instead of $45/hr now?

Other things are starting to happen that are morale related. An engine was toasted and the tail on another was smashed. Both obvious accidents, but just the types of things that can be expected from an atmosphere where poor morale is previlent. People get sloppy because they are too concerned over things other than the job at hand.

These are the types of things the eggheads cant put on a graph.

Between those two things alone the company lost more than they saved in concessions out of this station. And we are only into January.

The equipement situation is a wreck. Vehicles sit abandoned for weeks either because of a dead battery or no fuel. People dont even bother to report when things dont work, they let it sit.

A large number of workers here are from Pan Am and EAL, and they all say the same thing, "deja vu".

All you have to do is look at the delays and see that there are serious problems on the line. The loss of talent and poor morale may kill the airline, hopefully not the passengers.

The TWU and the company know that they could probably hack off another 30% from Tulsa, but on the line they are already losing what they need in order for the company to prosper.

So I think that 2004 is right. They may put overhaul under a different contract but still have us considered the same bargaining unit under the RLA. By doing this the TWU get to further isolate the two groups, however it could backfire because the main reason why the TWU was able to keep overhaul from going AMFA was because overhaul made pretty much the same as the line. That will no longer be the case. As overhauls standard of living falls closer to what the line mechanics have been experiencing for years they too will be more willing to try something else.

What the TWU does not realize is that even if they got the line back every penny, we would still want to go AMFA. SWA should have shown them that. SWA mechanics chose AMFA after the IBT got them an industry leading contract.

By seperating overhaul from the line, they have removed the main reason why overhaul refused to back AMFA. If overhaul sees the line getting better wages because as far as they can see the line keeps threatening to go to AMFA they will be more likely to fill out a card.

So, maybe this could be another TWU blunder that could finally get Tulsa to wake up and realize that the TWU is The Worst Union. It seems that we no longer hear anything out of MCI anymore in support of the TWU. They seem to be at the point where they know we were right but just refuse to come out and state it.

Back