AMFA not filing

bigjets

Veteran
Jan 14, 2011
Just heard AMFA not filing, fell short by 1000 cards, either its apathy, or fear.

Time to try no Union.

What's going to happen jobs being farmed out, closing a couple of Maint bases, 20% paycut 14% of your equity because. Close your local, give you the worst pay in the top airlines?

Reactions: 1 person
I dont think "no union" is the answer. The protections you have today (even though they arent what we want or deserve) would be reduced to zero. Many will say thats ok, until it actually happens. Be smart, dont cut your nose off despite your face.

Reactions: 5 people
I heard we fell short on the USAir side more than the AA side. The division from the association has begun. The USAir guys want their money and do not want to lose or stop contributions to the fund. Negotiations should be interesting. Since the AA guys out number the USAir guys I see a long drawn out negotiation process. Anyone think that we are getting more money anytime soon? Think again. AA wants no part of the iam pension scam and fears losing the frozen plan over to the IAM. The USAir guys don't want to lose their pension plan and needs AA guys to contribute. Let the fun begin.

Reactions: 5 people
TopCat870 said:
I dont think "no union" is the answer. The protections you have today (even though they arent what we want or deserve) would be reduced to zero. Many will say thats ok, until it actually happens. Be smart, dont cut your nose off despite your face.
Assuming there will be a ballot to vote on. Assuming we will have a choice of a write in. Assuming the nmb doesn't change their own rules in order to keep AMFA from having a chance to get voted in. Wait and see what the nmb will decide. Hopefully it won't take another 8 months or so.

First of all there is no US side and no AA side. We are all on the same side. That kind of talk only causes division. This is no different than the twu and iam pitting o/h against line. We made it a long way in only 30 days. No matter what the nay sayers have to say. This drive is not over yet. We still have to wait and see what the nmb has to say. This will probably happen sometime next week. The nmb can rule in many different ways so all we can do for now is sit tight and wait so that we can determine what direction we will go.

Reactions: 4 people
767 mechanic said:
First of all there is no US side and no AA side. We are all on the same side. That kind of talk only causes division. This is no different than the twu and iam pitting o/h against line. We made it a long way in only 30 days. No matter what the nay sayers have to say. This drive is not over yet. We still have to wait and see what the nmb has to say. This will probably happen sometime next week. The nmb can rule in many different ways so all we can do for now is sit tight and wait so that we can determine what direction we will go.
While you are correct, isn't there some validity to what 1AA is saying? While we as A&P Mechanics need to stand together, this is truth in 1AA's pension statements. If there is any "solidarity" within the Mechanics it will be the first time in my 30 years.

Reactions: 2 people
767 mechanic said:
I agree that we should all be on the same side. Hopefully the IAM doesnt start with the scare tactics like they did when IBT had an election. unfortunately the IAM will probably use the fear of a pension loss in order to obtain whatever they want. This is where it becomes an AA and US, or a IAM and a TWU. The AA side will not blink an eye to the pension drama. Now on the US side, we will have to see.

Never said the drive is over. We have to wait on the nmb's upcoming decision. The pension issue is the major dividing point. This was the main reason we all gave it a go to get enough cards in 30 days. Now we wait and see. The cards should not stop coming in because the 30 days is coming to an end. I just don't now how much more our members are going to get screwed over. We have a association that never represented anyone. Never had one member. The association will know take over and tell us what they are going to do. Not one union member on both sides had a say. It just keeps getting better and better. The good thing is more non signers did sign cards. It's just a matter of time.

Reactions: 2 people
TopCat870 said:
I dont think "no union" is the answer. The protections you have today (even though they arent what we want or deserve) would be reduced to zero.
What good are those protections with the twu enforcing them? Not sure if you are AA or US but the twu hasn't enforced the contract in decades. And they will open it to give back. All the company has to do is ask.

Reactions: 4 people
If I'm not mistaken submitting cards if a new union (Association) is certified by the NMB a submission for a new representative cannot be done for at least a year. Any cards collected now would need to be valid May 15th 2016.

Overspeed said:
If I'm not mistaken submitting cards if a new union (Association) is certified by the NMB a submission for a new representative cannot be done for at least a year. Any cards collected now would need to be valid May 15th 2016.

It is best that we each take the time to read and educate ourselves and not trust what we are told or believe without first reading the facts.

We each are adults and should spend and least 30 minutes everyday educating ourselves about this industry, our company, and our union or any union wanting to grant us their Constitution as the contract between member and leader, and stop trusting anyone else for information. What part of the UNION is not something or someone else other than ourselves unless it is a dysfunctional union do you not understand?

Submitting my name and your name on a senoirity or dues check-off list to the NMB claiming that I or yourself have shown interest or support this association is somone speaking on my and your behalf that is not being honest.

NMB Representation is available at www.nmb.gov

And this is in the manual

19.6 Procedure After Finding Single Transportation System

If the NMB determines that a single transportation system exists, the investigation will proceed to address the representation of the proper craft or class. The bar rules in NMB Rule §1206.4 (29 CFR § 1206.4) do not apply to applications filed under this section.

767 mechanic said:
Saying there is no AA side or US side is like saying there is no overhaul verses line because we are all mechanics. I wish it were true that there are no sides or divisions but now we are going to be even more divided. The company will win if some miracle doesn't happen to bring this dysfunctional mess together. I haven't seen solidarity in my 27 years with the twu and to think it will happen because another division is added is completely nuts. Time to batten down the hatches and hang on. 

Reactions: 6 people
Haven't seen anything official. I would have expected more banter if this is a fact.