AMFA's Solution?

JABORD

Advanced
Aug 12, 2010
Many of us identify the ability to utilize 'Strike' as a primary strategy for Unions is more for a bygone era. The evolution of society to what we see today will not allow for public support in terms of empathy let alone a roller coaster economy and the the spineless insecurity of our politicians to sustain such a threat. For those reasons, this author has advocated more than once that the Union best suited to lead into the future will aquire a profound leader that will have the creativity to provide an alternative to the 'Strike'. Have those wheels been set in motion?

"Another important topic of discussion was the Aircraft Engineers International (AEI) Annual Congress for 2015. Previously, the AEI Delegates have expressed an interest in requesting AMFA to host the Annual Congress. At the recent Congress I responded to the delegates that I would present the idea to the NEC for consideration, and during our meeting in Denver the NEC concluded that we would be honored to host the AEI Annual Congress for 2015 in Seattle, Washington next fall. This will provide an opportunity for each local, if they choose, to send an observer to the Annual Congress and learn more about AEI’s activities and how we are working collectively to promote and protect the interests of Aircraft Maintenance Technicians worldwide.'
http://www.amfanational.org/?zone=/unionactive/private_view_article.cfm&HomeID=455059&page=National20Director20Updates

Just as we've experienced the effects globalization has provided to Corporate America toward the piliging of America's Middle Class, it appears that AMFA also sees the potential benefits of discussions with an International consortium for the Craft of Aircraft Mechanics. This 'thinking outside the box' by Louie and his organization, I believe, is exactly the example we need see to elevate our profession going into the future. And for all you naysayers that spout negatives on AMFA's size, the train is coming.

Reactions: 6 people
And on another point made by the referenced link, I personally have communicated my disappointment to Louie on the National's lack of structure relative to an Organizing Division of AMFA. It undoubtedly increases the challenge toward a successful grassroots organizing campaign.
Yet, I encourage us all to continue in those challenges when it is evident that this Organization 'gets it' in terms of strategy and involvement in subject matter that can truly lead to an increase of the quality of life for the AMT households.

"Later in the month of December, the NEC made the determination to end our relationship with our current legislative lobbying firm and switch these responsibilities over to The Keelen Group. You can learn more about The Keelen Group on their website at www.KeelenGroup.com . It is worth noting that one of their clients is the Southwest Airlines Pilots’ Association so they have partners who are deeply involved in aviation legislative efforts; this will be important in 2015 as the FAA Reauthorization Bill is up for renewal and AMFA will have official comments to submit for the record."

Reactions: 1 person
As one who who lived it, the biggest mistake made by us in our NWA affair was not using chaos. I am quite sure the company would have locked us out and the public perception and outcome 'may' have been different.

Of course that, and a different call in the super bowl game yesterday, well...

Reactions: 3 people
Glenn Quagmire said:
As one who who lived it, the biggest mistake made by us in our NWA affair was not using chaos. I am quite sure the company would have locked us out and the public perception and outcome 'may' have been different.

Hey GQ, your insight as one of the original 4400 is appreciated. We should all learn from the lessons of the past especially in regards to Wrobel now running our M&E division. The train wreck set in motion by R. Anderson proved that it was inevitable that NWA would cease to exist no matter what strategies were applied. Fortunately, the mechanics regardless of the outcome will never have to hang your heads. Your efforts were noble and other groups proved to have sold their souls to the devil in that situation. I'm curious if you believe the documentary' The Red Tail' was a good representation of what occured? For me it displayed a terrific example of solidarity.
As indicated, Anderson had his motives determined far in advance. In the business world, the perverted perception is that what he accomplished between NWA and now DAL was brilliant. Recently I had a conversation with a 25 yr pilot that was just giddy that Delta was being held as the model for the flight guys and gals to follow in their TA's. I guess time makes folks forget how many people were damaged in those efforts to make Delta the company it is today.

I have not watched the 'Red Tail' movie. I have moved on and do not need to watch a film about what I lived.

BTW, thanks for the kind words.

Come on y'all. I understand it's difficult to debate such a great example of Union representation but what about opinions? Anyone care to add their two cents?

Basic concept.
With AMFA the membership is the union.
Industrial unions are led by the international with a plethora of class and craft just to collect dues.
Having a 'successful' union requires membership involvement.
Most members sit on their ass and *****.
Yes I know it is not quite as simple as that but too lazy to go through the **** that the membership should know.
Industrial unions hire/sub contract professional organizers.
AMFA doesn't.
You want AMFA then get off your ass and work for it.
Grass roots efforts for iam at DAL is bullshit.
JMHO

Reactions: 5 people
xUT said:
Basic concept.
With AMFA the membership is the union.
Industrial unions are led by the international with a plethora of class and craft just to collect dues.
Having a 'successful' union requires membership involvement.
Most members sit on their ass and ####.
Yes I know it is not quite as simple as that but too lazy to go through the #### that the membership should know.
Industrial unions hire/sub contract professional organizers.
AMFA doesn't.
You want AMFA then get off your ass and work for it.
Grass roots efforts for iam at DAL is bullshit.
JMHO
http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Communications+Workers+of+America+prepares+for+US+Airways+strike.-a0125572458
The CWA represents 6,000 ticket, reservation and gate agents at US Airways, the majority of whom voted to allow CWA President Morton Bahr to order a strike and select a strike date if US Airways cancels the union's contract through the bankruptcy courts.
Strike authorization vote by US Airways Passenger Service employees passes overwhelmingly: 86% approve, 14% disapprove...
11-10-2004
CWA represented US Airways agents and reps have voted overwhelmingly to authorize a strike or other lawful job action in the event that management imposes concessions through the bankruptcy process without a vote of the employees. With strong showings from all locations and workgroups, the CWA Passenger Service local presidents counted the ballots today at CWA’s national headquarters in Washington, DC.
The final vote tally was 86% in favor of strike authorization and 14% opposed. Full details and explanation of the strike vote authorization process and procedures, including CWA strike benefits, is contained in the letter you received at your home address accompanying your strike authorization ballot.
The CWA local presidents immediately issued this statement: “Thank you, agents and reps, for giving us this show of strength and determination. We pledge to make every effort to reach a reasonable settlement with management – a settlement that can be ratified by a vote of the employees. Thank you for support.”
Management files to reject the contracts of passenger service, flight attendants, mechanics and ramp, and also files to terminate all pension plans...
11-13-04
30 minutes before meeting to receive a CWA proposal on Friday, management notified us that they have filed in bankruptcy court to reject our passenger service contract in its entirety, along with those of the flight attendants, rampers and mechanics. They also notified us that they are seeking to terminate our long-frozen pension plan, along with the pension plans of the flight attendants and the mechanics.
At the meeting Friday management could not explain how our frozen plan (which they now claim is $270 million underfunded) could have deteriorated when it was fully funded at the time it was frozen.
CWA will meet with actuaries for the plan to try to get to the bottom of that question.
We continue to present proposals to management to try to reach a fair settlement. At the same time, we have made it clear that we do not agree to management demands to eliminate res and contract the work out.
CWA Local Officers and Staff
CWA Board Clears the Way for Possible Strike By US Airways Passenger Service Agents
11/30/2004
WASHINGTON, D.C. - The Communications Workers of America's national executive board voted unanimously to authorize strike action by 6,000 passenger service agents against US Airways, clearing the way for CWA's president to set a strike date.
The passenger agents earlier this month voted by 86 percent to authorize a strike against the airline in a membership referendum.
Meanwhile, CWA negotiators are continuing to meet this week with US Airways management in an attempt to reach a new labor settlement.
The airline has demanded devastating pay and benefit concessions from the agents and has petitioned the bankruptcy judge to throw out their union contract.
Abrogation of the contract would allow the agents to strike or engage in other job actions.
For More Information contact:
CWA Communications,

Glenn Quagmire said:

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/travel/news/2006-08-17-nwa-strike_x.htm
Mollie Reiley, interim head of the Northwest unit of the Association of Flight Attendants, Communications Workers of America, said management now "has one more chance ... set greed aside for once and agree to a fair and equitable contract, or they will face 'Chaos'." Chaos stands for "create havoc around our system" and is the trademark for the union's ministrike strategy.

Though the AFA has threatened Chaos actions many times, it has implemented the tactic only once, in 1993 against Alaska Airlines. Only a handful of flights were disrupted, but the attendants won a better contract.

john john said:
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/travel/news/2006-08-17-nwa-strike_x.htm
Mollie Reiley, interim head of the Northwest unit of the Association of Flight Attendants, Communications Workers of America, said management now "has one more chance ... set greed aside for once and agree to a fair and equitable contract, or they will face 'Chaos'." Chaos stands for "create havoc around our system" and is the trademark for the union's ministrike strategy.

Though the AFA has threatened Chaos actions many times, it has implemented the tactic only once, in 1993 against Alaska Airlines. Only a handful of flights were disrupted, but the attendants won a better contract.
Hey J.J., help me out here. Are you using this as an opportunity to tout the CWA? I'm unfamiliar to your example or their past efforts. What I'm reading here is some 'chest pounding' on an attempt to utilize the threat of strike? The end result didn't appear to be all that successful? My only opinion from what I know of CWA is their credibility was harmed when they joined forces with the big,bad IBT. My apologies if I'm reading it wrong.

Latest posts