AMR purchases 22 more jets

Perhaps, but the elite believe paying more for the ticket keeps them from having to tolerate lowlife rabble. Pig or not, it will sell.

My domestic upgrades are free as a top-tier, so I won't pay more just because there are F seats. But I am willing to buy an AA ticket even when AA is more costly than the competition - as I'm usually assured an upgrade and I'm additcted to the miles.

My domestic upgrades are free as a top-tier, so I won't pay more just because there are F seats. But I am willing to buy an AA ticket even when AA is more costly than the competition - as I'm usually assured an upgrade and I'm additcted to the miles.

Same here. If I know I'm going to get red carpet treatment, you can earn my money. If I'm going to be treated indifferently, I might as well fly Airtran or Southwest, and be treated indifferently for less money...

First class on an RJ is like putting lipstick on a pig. In the end it's still a pig.

It's not a pig, it's the right sized aircraft for the route. It's all about shrinking to fit right now, and why would AA fly a 737 half full when a regional jet can do the job and go out full?

Empty seats are perishable product for airlines. If there's more demand I guarantee you'll see a switch to a 737 or 757.

Plus the fact that the tickets bought for business travel build up the miles that can be used for personal use travel.

Eagle MTX just signed their contract. They will have a $26/hour topout through at least 2012. When was the last time A/A had a $26 topout?
Pitiful. I was dissapointed to see those guys sell out the profession, again.
The thing you have to look at I guess is that Eagle is basically a training airline, the mechanics go there to get experience and move on to other carriers. Not too many 20 year guys at Eagle, more like 20 year old guys.

AA buys news airplanes! Stop the presses! Welcome to the airline industry, people.

This is called a capital investment. Absolutely necessary for AMR to continue its present business of flying people and goods around the country. It's how your salaries are paid, in case you were wondering.
I know, right?

Only in the union mindset is it bad for an airline to invest in (gasp) NEW AIRPLANES! Quelle horreur!

I know, right?

Only in the union mindset is it bad for an airline to invest in (gasp) NEW AIRPLANES! Quelle horreur!

It's not bad....But have you ever heard of investing in YOUR employees below the title of executive?

Lots of different ways to define "invest in your employees".... To me, it implies spending money on them in ways other than direct and indirect compensation, e.g. professional training, personal development, and to some degree, benefits other than the normal medical & dental.

I see buying new aircraft as being an investment in employees. It allows everyone working (pilots, FA's, mechanics, and rampers) to work with something new vs. crap that is outdated and/or beaten up...

Agree that the CR7 is just more of the same CR7's already on the property. The 787 is another story -- it's going to expand everyone's skill set.

AA's AMT is $27.20 an hour before license premiums. Whats your point again?

That anybody who thinks American mechanics and Eagle mechanics compensation is close doesn't know what Eagle's pay and benefits package looks like.

That $26 includes licenses and everything. Oh yea, 12 year top-out.

That anybody who thinks American mechanics and Eagle mechanics compensation is close doesn't know what Eagle's pay and benefits package looks like.

That $26 includes licenses and everything. Oh yea, 12 year top-out.

You only mentioned the top out in your original post. Sorry that I didn't read more into your post than what you actually posted.

I see buying new aircraft as being an investment in employees. It allows everyone working (pilots, FA's, mechanics, and rampers) to work with something new vs. crap that is outdated and/or beaten up...

I'd rather work and get paid for working on "outdated" crap than have to settle for owning crap. I'd be ok working on DC-3s as long as they paid me right.

787,s well better for you to fly on than me. Basically its a high tech version of the old dope and fabric, except that even the structure is dope and fabric. Unlike aluminum which shows signs of impending failure this stuff can just let go. While its excellent for some things I think they are going too far with it. I'd rather be in a metal tube during a lightning storm and two pictures come to mind when I think about an all composit aircraft, 587s tail in Jamaica Bay and Air Frances tail in the Atlantic.

Lots of different ways to define "invest in your employees".... To me, it implies spending money on them in ways other than direct and indirect compensation, e.g. professional training, personal development, and to some degree, benefits other than the normal medical & dental.

Agree that the CR7 is just more of the same CR7's already on the property. The 787 is another story -- it's going to expand everyone's skill set.

As a matter of fact, the new generation aircraft will eliminate the need to maintain the current mechanic levels because the major maintenance intervals will be extended like never seen before because of the composites.
And as for the "skill set" opportunities, let me tell you this.
I am fleet qualified on every AA aircraft since the 707 and currently taxi/runup qualified on the entire fleet and I get nothing extra in my paycheck for it because it is part of my job.
I don't expect anything extra because it is part of my job.

Back