AN-124 in CLT

Anyone know what's up with the AN-124 that's been sitting on the MX ramp for a week or so?
Dash, I don't know for sure this time.
But a couple of years ago, It was used by the Billy Graham organization, to deliver gifts donated by the people of CLT, to other countries.

The An-124 has been in CLT for over 2 weeks. It was parked down by the Kitty Hawk operation before it was moved to its present location. They have been in CLT before picking up generators from Westinghouse. It's always nice to get a look at the second largest plane in the world. Even more impressive to see it take off and land. There was a 7373 paeked next to it earlier in the week. Pretty funny.

The usually come into CLT to pick up turbines from Siemens, former Westinghouse, and other times they came into and filled up with Marlboros to bring them back to Russia.

I used to see that big bird a lot in BOS when I worked there from June 99 to June 00. It always parked at the FedEx Ramp Area. Huge plane

I actually was lucky and got a tour of plane from the crew, the plane was six years old but the technology was from the 50s the radio room used tubes still and the engines only last about 600 hours before overhaul is needed.

As previously stated. The AN-124-100 , Now rebranded as the AH-124-100 to escape its Soviet Air Force nomenclature does spend a lot of time in CLT for the reasons that 700UW and others have listed. The long stays are either awaiting a job...or the aircraft has suffered a real problem like a massive fuel leak..as it has done before in CLT

The AN/AH-124-100 is also a Maintenance PIG...and sits quite a bit either awaiting parts or for a job worthy of its massive capacity.

The example on the US Hangar ramp has been sitting there for what will be two weeks this thursday afternoon. One of the reasons that the hangar ramp is so desirable for long term paring for this beast is the thickness of the concrete on the ramp Vs. that of the freight ramps that are not well suited for prolonged stays of such massive weight.

Note that most Heavy Lifters on the Freight Ramp in CLT usually do not sit around for days. The only things that linger are the A310's at Fed Ex and the DC-8's at UPS...but they are far from being in the same class of Heavy Lifters like an AN-124-100 of even a B747-100/200F

The AN-124-100's also tend to move from Owner to owner...as they absorb a given companies money like a sponge..and spend far too much time idle to really be profitable.

The current example on the CLT ramp was sporting the livery of the Antonov Design Bureau for a long time..and in its most rescent visits the Design Bureau Livery has been alterd with an "El Cheapo" addition of a company called Hoast Flight.

My money says that this company will go the way of other AN-124-100 and IL-76 operators like Heavy Lift from the UK...and Volga-Dnepr in short order.

You guys want to see a real big bird, look up the AN-225 Myria. Similar to the 124, except 6 engines and only loads from the nose. Also has large twin tail, as the 225 was used to haul the soviet space shuttle, the Buran. Cockpit technology looked like it was from about 1960. I was able to get into the cockpit of the 25 at an airshow in OKC. I told them I was part of the US Air contingent. I was also able to get into a SU-27 Flanker, a soviet frontline fighter. This was back in about 90-91 and it was the first time the soviets had brought something like these over here. They made a pretty good showing. The show was called "Aerospace America". I've been to Dayton and this show at OKC was just as good.

The 124 came in to CLT to drop a turbin for Siemens. It was moved to the hangar ramp to free up space on the cargo ramp. The aircraft is waiting for it's next trip out. The weight of the aircraft had no bearing on the concrete of the cargo ramp, the ramp thickness is the same for both cargo and hangar, 15 - 16".

Anyone know what's up with the AN-124 that's been sitting on the MX ramp for a week or so?

What you didn't hear the big news...

That is the prototype for the new CRJ1000!!!!! Yes boys and girls that plane will soon be flying hundreds of happy passengers to express destinations all over the world. The best part is that the crew will be working for, are you ready for it?????,
FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh yes folks the new CRJ1000 is the union busting plane of the future available now..... Get your order in and be the first airline on your block to have air crews working free..

When asked about the chance to fly the new CRJ1000 one Mesa FO replied "pay? who cares, that thing is HUGE"

RF

What you didn't hear the big news...

That is the prototype for the new CRJ1000!!!!! Yes boys and girls that plane will soon be flying hundreds of happy passengers to express destinations all over the world. The best part is that the crew will be working for, are you ready for it?????,

Oh yes folks the new CRJ1000 is the union busting plane of the future available now..... Get your order in and be the first airline on your block to have air crews working free..

When asked about the chance to fly the new CRJ1000 one Mesa FO replied "pay? who cares, that thing is HUGE"

RF
Now THAT'S a creative reply!

All airline industry fans should have the opportunity at least once in their life to eyeball this Russian beast.

Unfortunately, post 911, the opportunities to airplane watch are restricted.

One year I watched them load the national Christmas tree (with the tractor & trailer) into this aircraft. Impressive!

The Antonov folks (or whatever their current corporate name happens to be) simply do not do an effective job of marketing this plane's capabilities.

Also, the plane's economics simply do not work. If they did, you could bet that the integrators (UPS,fedex etc) would be flying this monster on their trunk routes.

So the market has already judged this aircraft as a loser.

So the market has already judged this aircraft as a loser.

The Aircraft is a LOSER because it's Engines's make it a FRED..and the jobs for it are too far and in between

FRED was also a name that was at one time used with the C-5A program for the USAF

F-ing Rediculous Economic Disaster

Latest posts