Another family with 19 kids is getting a TV show

I enjoy some of the reality stuff such as Deadliest Catch and Dirty Jobs. They seem to be shot with the minimum amount of staging and editing. I also like Sister Wives. I think it provides and interesting insight into their lives. Their interviews have caused me to re-examine my beliefs about polygamy.

Reactions: 2 people
How can you say that you don't learn from shows like Deadliest Catch, Kitchen Nightmares, Ice Road Truckers, Axe Men, Pawn Stars, etc?

I learn something in pretty much every episode...

And what negative message does a show like "19 and Counting" send? Some of the family-shows are definitely train wrecks, but "19+" seems to have a fairly normal message. It's like the Brady Bunch without a laugh track.
Sons of Guns is pretty cool.
B) xUT

I think it's a piss poor example for young girls in this society. The idea that a woman roll is in the home to be barefoot and pregnant. Then there is the issue of over population and bring ing 19 lives into the world is in my opinion irresponsible to say the least.

It shows that it's an option, along with covering you entire body with tattoos (LA Ink)...

Best (new) show on sunday PM. ........2nd season !........Historical !

http://www.amctv.com/shows/hell-on-wheels

It shows that it's an option, along with covering you entire body with tattoos (LA Ink)...

I think the number of tattoos is inversely proportional to your intellegence. There must be a reason you don't see your lawyer or doctor covered head to toe with them.

What Happens When the Tattoo Generation Goes to Law School?

September 25, 2008 | Posted by: Michael M. O'Hear

Call me an old fuddy-duddy, but I’ll be the first to admit I do not “get” tattoos. If you really want to show off that rebellious streak (or solidarity with the underclass, or unrestrained individualism, or whatever), there are many other ways to do so that are much less painful and permanent. When I see young people with prominent tattoos, I can’t help but think about the professional job opportunities they have foreclosed by making a permanent record of their youthful passions. But, according to an article in today’s New York TImes, my concerns may be misplaced:

In a mysterious and inexorable process that seems to transform all that is low culture into something high, permanent ink markings began creeping toward the traditional no-go zones for all kinds of people, past collar and cuffs, those twin lines of clothed demarcation that even now some tattoo artists are reluctant to cross.
Not entirely surprisingly, facial piercing followed suit.
Suddenly it is not just retro punks and hard-core rappers who look as if they’ve tossed over any intention of ever working a straight job.
Artists with prominent Chelsea galleries and thriving careers, practicing physicians, funeral directors, fashion models and stylists are turning up with more holes in their faces than nature provided, and all manner of marks on their throats and hands.​
While the article has led me to reconsider that flaming skull I’ve always thought would look great on my forehead, I do note that “lawyer” is not in the list of professions in which visible tattoos are becoming more common. I wonder, though, whether there are some outposts of the legal profession in which tattoos have become the norm, or are at least more accepted than in others. And is there a resource guide somewhere for inked-up law students letting them know which employers are tattoo-friendly and which are not? Maybe this should be part of the NALP form . . . .

How can you say that you don't learn from shows like Deadliest Catch, Kitchen Nightmares, Ice Road Truckers, Axe Men, Pawn Stars, etc?

I learn something in pretty much every episode...

Deadliest Catch was interesting in the begining. After a while though it gets a bit old watching guys dumping and recovering crab pots into the water.

I quit watching Deadliest Catch in fairly short order. I do like Ice Pilots & Flying Wild Alaska, but that's more interesting in a compare/contrast way (to what I do), than an educational one.

Ice pilots looks interesting, and I had the same thought -- glad I don't have to work the ramp up there.

Catch still has a few nuggets, but I will admit I watch it for the ongoing storylines about the crews.

A replacement ratio of 1:1 would be ideal. Right now the birth rate is at 1.87:1
That birth rate isn't high enough to replace the two parents. Of course, immigration can make up the shortfall, but then we hear from all the xenophobes that all our problems are due to those damm furriners.

Reactions: 1 person