Arpey Could Give American A Fresh Start ?

----------------
On 5/7/2003 1:48:46 PM Wretched Wrench wrote:

Old wine, new bottle.

With a more marketable label.

Better PR and spin.

That''s all so far.

----------------​

Ditto

I was told by a pilot a few years ago that in a meeting at ORD Arpey called JFK "The epicenter of discontent". So much for a fresh start. We started off bad already.

Was there discontent?

Yes.

Was it the focal point of discontent?

No, discontent was widespread.

I think that "then" will pale compared to tomorrow.

----------------
On 5/7/2003 1:48:46 PM Wretched Wrench wrote:

Old wine, new bottle.

----------------​

Well, we get plenty of the same old w(h)ine around here all the time, so Arpey should fit right in.

TANSTAAFL

Mr. Arpey's been in a couple of weeks now and all I've heard is the standard boilerplate press releases and letters to employees.

Sounds like the same ol' strategic plan by the same ol' senior executives to me. That is . . . a failed one.

Fresh start? What fresh start?

Still looking for a reason to be optimistic . . . . .

----------------
On 5/7/2003 6:31:43 PM Bob Owens wrote:

Was there discontent?

----------------​
Discontent just seems nicer in other cities, outside of New York City. Being discontent and being up front and in-your-face about it, is being a New Yorker.

We simply never give up.

That''s who we are, take it or leave it.

Remember of Welcome Slogan.

Welcome to New York City, now go home.

----------------
On 5/8/2003 10:38:48 AM buzzkill wrote:

Winglet,

Just curious, what would you like to see Arpey do to make a "fresh start"? I''m not trying to be confrontational, but would like to hear concrete things that AA''s CEO could do to make people happy.

----------------​
For starters, he could reduce his salary to $50K per year and sell the $500,000 house and move into a trailer park in Euless.

Mr. Arpey''s been in a couple of weeks now and all I''ve heard is the standard boilerplate press releases and letters to employees.

Sounds like the same ol'' strategic plan by the same ol'' senior executives to me. That is . . . a failed one.

Fresh start? What fresh start?

Still looking for a reason to be optimistic . . . . .
----------------

Winglet,

Just curious, what would you like to see Arpey do to make a "fresh start"? I''m not trying to be confrontational, but would like to hear concrete things that AA''s CEO could do to make people happy.

----------------
On 5/8/2003 10:44:33 AM KCFlyer wrote:

For starters, he could reduce his salary to $50K per year and sell the $500,000 house and move into a trailer park in Euless. 

----------------​

If he would rather an apartment than a trailer park, he can take over the lease on mine. And they even give discounts for airline employees!

And where is there a trailer park in Euless anyway?

TANSTAAFL

----------------
On 5/8/2003 12:24:44 PM WXGuesser wrote:

TANSTAAFL

----------------​
I haven''t lived in the Dallas area in 15 years. Times may have changed.

----------------
On 5/8/2003 10:44:33 AM KCFlyer wrote:

----------------​

Why should he make less than a maxed out fleet service clerk?

Still, it might be appropriate to set salaries to something like senior management cannot earn more than double what the highest paid non-management employees in the company earn, and set the rest of their compensation by financial performance.

That would still be a pretty good salary, considering where the highest paid pilots max out.

----------------
On 5/8/2003 12:24:44 PM WXGuesser wrote:

----------------​

There are several south of Trinity Blvd and north of the TRE, because I see them from the train windows every morning.

I''ll have to look to see what cross street they''re on, but since Fort Worth incorporated the land along the railroad tracks, it''s possible that they may actually are in Fort Worth, and just go to HEB schools and are served by the Euless post office...

"would like to hear concrete things that AA's CEO could do to make people happy."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would trust him more if he were in the same financial boat as the rest of us. That means the same percentage cuts in total compensation and benefits, and having his retirement on the line as ours are, rather than his bankruptcy-proof retirement.

I would also like to see management take the same pay cuts, benefit cuts and layoffs as us.

As things are now, we have much more at stake than he does. So I question his commitment to AA's survival. If AA goes Chapter 7, we are sunk. He is not.

In other words (his), "lead by example".

----------------
On 5/8/2003 4:10:00 PM eolesen wrote:

There are several south of Trinity Blvd and north of the TRE, because I see them from the train windows every morning.

I''ll have to look to see what cross street they''re on, but since Fort Worth incorporated the land along the railroad tracks, it''s possible that they may actually are in Fort Worth, and just go to HEB schools and are served by the Euless post office...

----------------​

Ah... I don''t get down to that end of town much. Thanks for the correction. Most of Euless is a pretty nice area; lot of single-family homes and a ton of really nice apartment complexes just west of the airport.

This apartment will be empty in two months if anyone is looking. PM me if interested...

TANSTAAFL

Back