Arpey is sharing in the pain!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry Bob, but I smell the distinct odor of exageration here.

10K in property taxes? Maybe for you personally (which I suspect is where this laundry list came from), but many of us are carrying 2/3 or even 1/2 that. In fact the townhome I just looked at this weekend has taxes of $6100. Coem to think of it 10K in property taxes on a house that is only carrying roughly a $135000 mortage seems a bit out of whack even for Nassau.

$

What you carry on a mortgage has nothing to do with property taxes. If I buy a $500,000.00 home with $13,000 property taxes (general and school tax), and i put $400,000.00 and carry a $100,000.00 mortgage....guess what my taxes are still $13000.

Do you live in Nassau County?

If you had a clue, Nassau County taxes are based on assessments/valuation.... NOT what your mortgage is.

Sorry Bob, but I smell the distinct odor of exageration here.

First off your 2482 left over assumes a single income household, which let's face it is just not the norm in this city anymore, and probably hasn't been for decades.

Well if you want skilled workers who are going to work nights weekends and be available to change schedules and shifts within a weeks notice then how do you work out childcare? I dont think anything on my list indicates an exhorbitant lifestyle and this job, due to the extraordinary skills and sacrifices required should at least support a modest lifestyle if they expect us to meet their unusual demands. AA provides ZERO family support.

10K in property taxes? Maybe for you personally (which I suspect is where this laundry list came from), but many of us are carrying 2/3 or even 1/2 that. In fact the townhome I just looked at this weekend has taxes of $6100. Coem to think of it 10K in property taxes on a house that is only carrying roughly a $135000 mortage seems a bit out of whack even for Nassau.

A townhome is not a house, maybe if I was single or retired I'd consider that. What where the maintenence fees and how old is the person you are looking to buy from? When I bought my home the taxes were $3000, they immediately went up to $4000 because she was elderly and had a lower rate because of that. That $6100 could easily turn out to be $9000 by the time you move in, tack on the maintenance fees and you could end up paying more than me. The average age at JFK is 47, figure most who have homes bought them around 30, 17 years ago when you could get a house for under $200K. You seem to forget that Taxes go up and still need to be paid even if the mortgage is paid off. A $220k house 17 years ago would be at least $400k now.

$200 for DMV? Is that for 1 car or 2? Or more? Not fair to include the wife's car if you're not including her income..

Cant afford a car payment so I have old cars.

Why not, she has to get to school, do shopping, take kids to the doctor etc. As Aircraft mechanics we should not have to rely on our wives wages for the basics

$600 for laudry? 5 uniforms/week = 1 load of laundry. Local laundromat @2.50 wash and 2.50 dry = $5/week x 52 weeks = $250 and I'll give you another $50 for detergent and fabric softener. I still come in at 1/2 your number.

So I guess you figure the machines and electricity are free? Going to the laundromat requires time and transportation, that would bump the cost up $30/week. After all if my wife has to work and I have to do the laundry then thats another hour that I cant work.

So let's see, your 2482, my 3900 less in property taxes, and the missing 300 in laundry expenses and I have $6782 which is well over the $100 week on average I spend on food, clothing, entertainment, and incidentals. Oh yeah and I don't have a spouse that also works too so me thinks yuou've exagerated just a might. Just my humble opinion

Most of us are not single hermits, nor should we be. We provide an essential service that requires skills and abilities that you probably lack, other carriers offer their mechanics $14 more an hour than AA does. I suspect you have neither a spouse or children if you feel flush with $129/week for food, clothing, medical and other incidentals. For a family of five that comes out to $3.68 a day per family member, One visit to the doctor, and if you had kids you would know thats a common occurance, is at minimum $20, pick up a prescription along with that and nobody can eat for a few days.

If anything my list left a lot out.

By the way Arpeys Country Club allowance would more than cover all my living expense with enough to even take a vacation and perhaps support a car payment. My labor, and that of my coworkers who stuggle as well provides the revenue that gives Arpey that excess perk.

What you carry on a mortgage has nothing to do with property taxes. If I buy a $500,000.00 home with $13,000 property taxes (general and school tax), and i put $400,000.00 and carry a $100,000.00 mortgage....guess what my taxes are still $13000.

Do you live in Nassau County?

If you had a clue, Nassau County taxes are based on assessments/valuation.... NOT what your mortgage is.

I have a clue, was born in Long Beach, and have lived in both Nassau and Suffolk. Are there anymore incorrect assumptions you'd like to make or may we return to an informed debate?

As it happens I am very aware aware of how the assessment system works in Nassau, both the current (albeit broken) system and the old one that was ruled unconstitutional. While you're point is valid it would be a rather rare exception in my experience as opposed to someone with a 135K mortage having bought their house many years ago for around 200-250 which would be far more common.

The topic is not New York state property tax assessment methods or amounts. If we have exhausted the topic, the thread will be closed.

due to the extraordinary skills and sacrifices required should at least support a modest lifestyle if they expect us to meet their unusual demands.

I really don't think anyone on this board disagrees with that sentiment.

Cant afford a car payment so I have old cars.

What does this have to do with DMV fees? DMV fees don't go up as cars age.

Why not, she has to get to school, do shopping, take kids to the doctor etc. As Aircraft mechanics we should not have to rely on our wives wages for the basics

Whether you think it's right or not it seems to take 2 incomes to raise a family in this city. At least that's what I keep seeing and hearing.

So I guess you figure the machines and electricity are free?

Not at all, but the last time I was in PC Richards shopping for those machines the sales person pointed out that those costs are less than using the laundromat. Since the laundromat is more I just gave you the benefit of the doubt and used the higher price. Or are you implying that a sales person said something less than 100% true to convince me to buy their product? :lol:

Most of us are not single hermits, nor should we be. We provide an essential service that requires skills and abilities that you probably lack,

While I am single, I am hardly a hermit. I would however stop making assumptions or implications because it becomes insulting. Even though the only thing I know about your skills and abilities is that you carry an A & P, I do not work on the assumption that there are not other "skills and abilities" that you have. Unlike you I do not post under my name so really don't know who I am or what skills I have or don't have. As a result you should no more assume your worth is higher than mine than I should that mine is higher than yours.

I suspect you have neither a spouse or children if you feel flush with $129/week for food, clothing, medical and other incidentals. For a family of five that comes out to $3.68 a day per family member, One visit to the doctor, and if you had kids you would know thats a common occurance, is at minimum $20, pick up a prescription along with that and nobody can eat for a few days.

I didn't say it made me feel flush, I merely said it's more than I spend on average. As for kids, your right I don't have or want them, that is my choice. I also don't know that a visit to my doctor is a common occurance since I haven't been to a doctor in over 5 years and frankly don't even know who my PCP is this year with the change to United Healthcare. I still believe your numbers came from your personal budget and are not indicitve of anything more than your personal circumstances. Since you chose that route how would you feel if AA chose what to pay US based on my personal circumstances?

If anything my list left a lot out.

Yes, your families second income, i.e. your wife's income. No matter what it is, it certainly changes the picture you're painting.

By the way Arpeys Country Club allowance would more than cover all my living expense with enough to even take a vacation and perhaps support a car payment. My labor, and that of my coworkers who stuggle as well provides the revenue that gives Arpey that excess perk.

ROFLMAO, and this exactly what to do with what you and I are debating? Does what Arpy makes, gets, is given, has negotiated, profitted from, etc. have any impact, in any way, on what your labor (and/or skill) is worth? Does it impact the value of my skills or labor? Does it impact the value of the skills, education, and labor of the men and woman you have been elected to represent?

No, I didn't think so either. While it may not seem like it from this debate, but I do respect most of what you post here. I mostly disagree with you, but I have come to respect you. In this case I disagree with your numbers, but I agree with your point that we all are worth more than we are being paid. Unfortunately where we will always disagree is that I don't see this industry ever paying us our true worth. Believe it or not I hope you are right and I am wrong. I just don't agree that it's either your way or let's burn it down (figuratively speaking of course) and start over in another industry. If I wanted to do that I would've done so many years ago and be better compensated for it.

. Unfortunately where we will always disagree is that I don't see this industry ever paying us our true worth.

I agree 100%. The industry launched the anti labor campaign beginning with deregulation and have lowered all our worth. They have been conditioning us with the "lucky to have a job" mantra for decades now. And they have tried to condition us about their worth as well.

What I don't agree with, nor will I ever agree with, is the corporate logic where if we all give 1000%, we will all reap the rewards..Ive been around too long to fall for that nonsense.

They have destroyed many an airline employee's life all in the name of lower costs and cheap fares. No industry has done to so many like the airline industry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back