Asiana 777 hard landing crash at SFO

Gone, the eyewitness said on approach the main gear touched down, the plane shook, made a loud pop, the tail hit the runways and the nose gear hadnt touched and the plane cartwheeled.

CNN showed pieces of the tail and horizontal stabilizers debris right in the threshold area of the runway.

BOg_8PPCIAEkXir.jpg

Looks like they landed short of the runway. Part of the tail is in the water. Better check the ILS antennas for that runway...

Here is the ATC Audio

http://wandr.me/Audio/AAR214-KSFO-Crash.mp3

Looks like they landed short of the runway. Part of the tail is in the water. Better check the ILS antennas for that runway...
28L is a very busy approach - CAT III ILS. Can't imagine the PIC would not know he was low. He obviously landed well short of displaced threshold. He could have been hand flying rather than a coupled approach/landing since the WX was so nice. We will know soon.

I have seen reports fom SFFD tht 303 aboard and 303 accounted for. I hope that is the case.

Reactions: 3 people
Just heard on CNN that a body has been found; however, the slides are deployed, and they are commenting now that a large number of passengers got out alive. Thank God.

One witness said that the tail section hit the runway first and broke off; so, it's possible that it simply bounced into the water.

Listening to the ATC audio, the PIC was cleared to land and did not radio any distress until he hit the ground/sea wall.

"Looks" like all the slides worked and the F/A's did well.

Reactions: 2 people
Listening to the ATC audio, the PIC was cleared to land and did not radio any distress until he hit the ground/sea wall.
This will be interesting. With ILS and autoland it should have been a snap.
Why was it about 50 feet off center line?
B777 has some of he most advanced avionic systems to date.
The flight recorders should be able to nail it.
GOD help the pilot if he turned off the ILS and autoland.
IIRC
B) xUT

-edited by Me ---------

Reactions: 1 person

Latest posts