Athens Flight

hack73

Advanced
Jan 17, 2003
www.usaviation.com
I'm hearing that the flights to Athens are being booked to 137 passengers because of the limitations of the 767.If this is true we have a management team of idiots , Philly has a huge poulation of Greeks and they could fill it up every day.

I'm hearing that the flights to Athens are being booked to 137 passengers because of the limitations of the 767.If this is true we have a management team of idiots , Philly has a huge poulation of Greeks and they could fill it up every day.

I don't know about booking levels, but Athens has proven to have some of the highest advance bookings by far. There may be some restrictions, maybe moreso with cargo for the return, but winds at that time of the year should help. The A330 is still being considered for that route, but no final decisions have been made yet.

The 767-200ER should be able to make that trip without a psgr. restiction that low. The 757's are the ones that required a sign-off from Boeing, not the 767's.....

The 767-200ER should be able to make that trip without a psgr. restiction that low. The 757's are the ones that required a sign-off from Boeing, not the 767's.....
I still don't understand why US' 767-200ER's are supposedly so limited in range. Athens is almost 4400nm. With 181 pax, the range is 6600nm according to Boeing's web site.

http://www.boeing.com/commercial/767family...pf_200prod.html

Could the 2-class US config of 203 reduce the range that much?? The real question is endurance. How LONG can a fully fueled, fully loaded US 762 fly with adequate reserves?

A simple check of ETC, over several days, doesn't show any limits on the number of bookings. In fact, they are showing authorized to overbook.

With the highest MTOW versions, you're right - they're the ones that have the 6600 mile range.

However, I think Boeing increased the 767ER MTOW at least twice plus the variations due to engines used, etc. The lowest is 335,000# (the original certification for CF6-80A engines and a fuel capacity of 111,890#) while the highest is 395,000# (choice of several engines with a fuel capacity of 161,738#). US uses the CF6-80C2 engines, which allow the 767 to be certified for the full range of MTOW's.

US only has certification for 351,000# MOTW, however. That version has a fuel capacity of 137,618#, 24K# less than the highest MTOW versions. That means a considerable variance in range from the published Boeing max range figures (for the 395,000# MTOW certification). In fact, Boeing's detailed performance chart shows about 4,800 mile range at the MTOW for the US 767's, based on the following assumptions:

- .80 mach above 35,000'
- ATA domestic fuel reserves
- standard day
- 216 passengers and baggage (standard weights)
- 182,900# empty weight.

Jim