BMI A330-200 & LHR

jcw

Veteran
Aug 12, 2004
With US closing in on AA do you think US will strick a deal to take the BMI A330-200 off BA's hands?

What are the chances CLT will move from LGW to LHR?

The BMI's A330s are leased, they are being painted white and being returned to the lessors.

A330 G-WWBM - To be ferried LHR-MLA 19May for MX & MLA-MAN for repaint into all white. To be returned to Lessor Oct2012
A330 G-WWBD - To be returned to Lessor Oct2012

With US closing in on AA do you think US will strick a deal to take the BMI A330-200 off BA's hands?

What are the chances CLT will move from LGW to LHR?
The BMI's A330s are leased, they are being painted white and being returned to the lessors.

A330 G-WWBM - To be ferried LHR-MLA 19May for MX & MLA-MAN for repaint into all white. To be returned to Lessor Oct2012
A330 G-WWBD - To be returned to Lessor Oct2012

It would make more sense for the CLT flight to go to LHR if the AA merger is completed. As a member of One World, the CLT flight would be more productive feeding the BA hub at LHR.

There may be additional MAD service from CLT or PHL, but it may be Iberia doing the flying since US never has enough airplanes to do the job.

I am also guessing that LCC will pull back in FRA and there will be more LHR service. It wouldn't surprise me to see US/AA take over at least one of the two BA PHL-LHR flights, or all of them if BA could better utilize those aircraft in another market.

LCC will certainly lease those A330s if the owner is giving them away. If, however, the lessor is seeking market rates, another carrier will get them. It's just that simple. Always has been.

It would make more sense for the CLT flight to go to LHR if the AA merger is completed. As a member of One World, the CLT flight would be more productive feeding the BA hub at LHR.

There may be additional MAD service from CLT or PHL, but it may be Iberia doing the flying since US never has enough airplanes to do the job.

I am also guessing that LCC will pull back in FRA and there will be more LHR service. It wouldn't surprise me to see US/AA take over at least one of the two BA PHL-LHR flights, or all of them if BA could better utilize those aircraft in another market.

LCC will certainly lease those A330s if the owner is giving them away. If, however, the lessor is seeking market rates, another carrier will get them. It's just that simple. Always has been.
One of the most cogent, well-written and level-headed posts I've read on this website in a while. Not that it matters, but I agree with it.

One thing - AA has ten new 77Ws on the way in the 12 months beginning late this year, and thus widebody capacity will not be a problem. AA will have plenty of 763s or 777s by the end of 2013 to fly CLT-MAD or PHL-MAD. Or PHL-China, Doug Parker's dream that existed only on paper (and for which he never acquired the suitable aircraft). If it makes sense to fly to China from PHL, AA has a plane for that. I tend to think that JFK-PVG/PEK makes more sense, but those pairs have existing competition. Given the strength of US at DCA, there might be a need for additional capacity IAD-LHR/MAD as well.

Then there's the 42 787-9s that are scheduled to begin delivery late 2014 (but knowing the 787 delays, may not show up for another year or two beyond that) with options on 58 more. Once AA and US combine, there will no longer be shortages of appropriate planes as has sometimes been the case at US.

One of the most cogent, well-written and level-headed posts I've read on this website in a while. Not that it matters, but I agree with it.

One thing - AA has ten new 77Ws on the way in the 12 months beginning late this year, and thus widebody capacity will not be a problem. AA will have plenty of 763s or 777s by the end of 2013 to fly CLT-MAD or PHL-MAD. Or PHL-China, Doug Parker's dream that existed only on paper (and for which he never acquired the suitable aircraft). If it makes sense to fly to China from PHL, AA has a plane for that. I tend to think that JFK-PVG/PEK makes more sense, but those pairs have existing competition. Given the strength of US at DCA, there might be a need for additional capacity IAD-LHR/MAD as well.

Then there's the 42 787-9s that are scheduled to begin delivery late 2014 (but knowing the 787 delays, may not show up for another year or two beyond that) with options on 58 more. Once AA and US combine, there will no longer be shortages of appropriate planes as has sometimes been the case at US.

The AA orders are another reason that US will not be looking to get those A330s that BMI is giving back to the lessor.

I pretty much agree with what you say, but find one disconnect: "Given the strength of US at DCA, there might be a need for additional capacity IAD-LHR/MAD as well."

How does strength at DCA translate into demand at IAD for anything? Passengers are NOT going to attempt the 30 mile ground transfer in rush hour traffic to connect to a transatlantic flight at IAD with the typical international supply of luggage.

I pretty much agree with what you say, but find one disconnect: "Given the strength of US at DCA, there might be a need for additional capacity IAD-LHR/MAD as well."

How does strength at DCA translate into demand at IAD for anything? Passengers are NOT going to attempt the 30 mile ground transfer in rush hour traffic to connect to a transatlantic flight at IAD with the typical international supply of luggage.
I apologize; I didn't mean to imply that someone would attempt a DCA-IAD ground connection (although AA has always been willing to sell those in NYC - ORD-LGA-LHR, for example). That would be crazy. :)

Rather, my point was that since US has a significant share of frequent flyer faithful living in and working in the WAS area, perhaps they would support more AA-US IAD-LHR/MAD flights rather than fly DCA-PHL/JFK/CLT-LHR/MAD. Many of my friends/family in the WAS area live in NoVA and find Dulles to be an acceptable origination airport for international travel. Those are the people I'm talking about.

I am also guessing that LCC will pull back in FRA and there will be more LHR service. It wouldn't surprise me to see US/AA take over at least one of the two BA PHL-LHR flights, or all of them if BA could better utilize those aircraft in another market......

Very unlikely Iberia would ever do seasonal TA routings (i.e., CLT-MAD), or even PHL-MAD since they already have the region covered via JFK. IMO, the new AA would handle this route.

Several BA executives have stated publicly as late as October 2011, that LHR-PHL is a very profitable O&D route and has been for some time. This is confirmable by their use of at least 1 3 class 777, which they ONLY use for premium routes, plus their recent construction of a new premium lounge in A-West. I could see (the new AA) continuing with the current 2 BA O&D flights and the US flight maybe increasing to 2 - primarily to support existing and new AA connecting traffic, which may be routed via PHL to relieve JFK slots for new routes. Although, I hope it isn't the case, with a merge, I really can't see CLT retaining any trans-Atlantic or South American routes other than LHR and maybe one other TA seasonal destination. Why? CLT may longer be necessary as a PHL international reliever, with those flights being covered through the PHL/JFK (AA existing routes) combination - and CLT international O&D is essentially way too small to sustain more than 1 or 2 flights. A ? is what would happen to the highly corporate subsidized CLT-MUC LH route - left without *A connections?

you would think they could expand the shuttle from JFK to both Boston, ORD and DCA

Very unlikely Iberia would ever do seasonal TA routings (i.e., CLT-MAD), or even PHL-MAD since they already have the region covered via JFK. IMO, the new AA would handle this route.

Several BA executives have stated publicly as late as October 2011, that LHR-PHL is a very profitable O&D route and has been for some time. This is confirmable by their use of at least 1 3 class 777, which they ONLY use for premium routes, plus their recent construction of a new premium lounge in A-West. I could see (the new AA) continuing with the current 2 BA O&D flights and the US flight maybe increasing to 2 - primarily to support existing and new AA connecting traffic, which may be routed via PHL to relieve JFK slots for new routes. Although, I hope it isn't the case, with a merge, I really can't see CLT retaining any trans-Atlantic or South American routes other than LHR and maybe one other TA seasonal destination. Why? CLT may longer be necessary as a PHL international reliever, with those flights being covered through the PHL/JFK (AA existing routes) combination - and CLT international O&D is essentially way too small to sustain more than 1 or 2 flights. A ? is what would happen to the highly corporate subsidized CLT-MUC LH route - left without *A connections?

With the 200 plus German companies in the Charlotte metro area, I would hope that the CLT to FRA would remain.

Latest posts

Back