Bob Crandall on Charlie Rose Show

• Thread starter Deleted member 17588
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 17588

PBS's Charlie Rose interviewed Bob Crandall and airline reporter Peter Greenberg on his Tuesday evening March 13 show. This very interesting discussion included topics such as deregulation, the current state of American Airlines, outsourcing maintenance and the overall future of the U.S. airline industry. If you can catch it in a rerun, it's worth the watch.

The show will also be available to watch online (probably starting sometime on Wednesday) using the following link on Charlie Rose's website.

CharlieRose.com

I saw it last night, three points stuck out in my mind.

1. In favor of reregulation

2. Wished he could have convinced the unions he was on their side, got demonized and left the company.
3. In favor of high speed rail in major metro areas so airlines can concentrate on long hauls.

Glad to see Crandall is still sticking to his guns... he was never in favor of deregulation (but made sure he took advantage of it while he could), and has been a rail advocate for quite some time. He was nominated to Amtrak's board of directors during the Bush years but his name didn't go any further than that..

But don't expect him back. He's not going to tarnish his reputation by stepping into the steaming pile o' mess at AA right now. He'd rather throw darts from the sidelines.

Thanks for posting the link. I have always been a big fan of Charlie Rose, and that is one of the most interesting, cogent, and timely discussions of the airline industry and its problems that I have ever heard.

On a side note, I am so very glad that in the discussion of "which flight do we cancel to make up for the broken airplane" it got brought out that quite often the gate agent is not told the truth, and is left twisting slowly in the wind with the passengers who know that what the gate agent is telling them is not true--i.e., the flight is cancelled due to weather at the destination when in fact it is being cancelled to make the plane available for a more profitable flight.

Thanks for posting the link. I have always been a big fan of Charlie Rose, and that is one of the most interesting, cogent, and timely discussions of the airline industry and its problems that I have ever heard.

On a side note, I am so very glad that in the discussion of "which flight do we cancel to make up for the broken airplane" it got brought out that quite often the gate agent is not told the truth, and is left twisting slowly in the wind with the passengers who know that what the gate agent is telling them is not true--i.e., the flight is cancelled due to weather at the destination when in fact it is being cancelled to make the plane available for a more profitable flight.

The gate agents are not lied to. That is not accurate.

I like how he says he regrets not be able to work with unions and had to leave. So we union people got Carty instead. Can we get a do-over?

Just goes to prove "be careful what you ask for"....

You didn't like Crandall, you got Carty. Didn't like Carty, you got Arpey.

Now that everyone was tired of Arpey, you got Horton, and I'm sure you won't want him when all is said and done...

Uncle Bobby (Crandall) NEVER had, nor NEVER Will have an Equal . PERIOD !!!!!!!!!!!

(Bethune @ Continental came close, BUT he didn't have as many Unions to deal with)

GOD Bless him for Continuing to tell Congress........." G F Yourself" !!!!!!!!!!!

Uncle Bobby (Crandall) NEVER had, nor NEVER Will have an Equal . PERIOD !!!!!!!!!!!

(Bethune @ Continental came close, BUT he didn't have as many Unions to deal with)

GOD Bless him for Continuing to tell Congress........." G F Yourself" !!!!!!!!!!!

Bethune followed and Lorenzo and his hand picked cronies. After that Bethune just had to be civilized and the employees would love him. He did do more than that though at CO.

Crandall was an SOB but he was our SOB and he knew how to run an airline. Maybe he can pull a CR Smith and come back and bail out AA.

Reactions: 1 person
Bethune followed and Lorenzo and his hand picked cronies. After that Bethune just had to be civilized and the employees would love him. He did do more than that though at CO.

Crandall was an SOB but he was our SOB and he knew how to run an airline. Maybe he can pull a CR Smith and come back and bail out AA.

I agree Overspeed. (uncle) Bobby always reminded me of the head of a Highly Dysfunctional family, but GOD Help anyone outside the family who dared step over/onto the Property line ! :angry2: :angry2:

Latest posts