Boston Hub

jcw

Veteran
Aug 12, 2004
remember all the vitriolic we got when someone said boston is not a hub.

here is the sentence from the last press release:

"with key hubs and markets including Amsterdam, Atlanta, Boston, Detroit, Los Angeles, Minneapolis/St. Paul, New York-JFK, New York-LaGuardia, Paris-Charles de Gaulle, Salt Lake City, Seattle and Tokyo-Narita."

Now if it is not a hub why would you list 11 hubs and one non-hub?  notice CVG or MEM are not on the list

I guess BOS is the only non omnidirectional hub in the DL network

There's also no mention of London or Chicago, so trying to push "key markets" doesn't really hold water.

and if they wanted to call them all hubs, they would have deleted the phrase "key markets"

is a hub ever less than key?

let's see they pick BOS over LHR - please you can't rationalize this away - they are calling it a hub - you don't put "one" key city in a list of hubs - your simply amazing how you can rationalize away everything DL does

Reactions: 3 people
no, YOU don't put one key market in their list.

but in case you missed the memo, you're not in charge in DL's marketing dept.

I could honestly care less what DL calls BOS - but it is clear that it is a different type of market to DL or they wouldn't have used the word "key market"

and what DOES it really matter to you what DL calls it? that DL intends to take on AA there too?

I didn't realize that you were in charge of DL's marketing department -

Right - they throw in one random "key market"  must of been a tough news day for DL

Reactions: 1 person
I'm not.

you missed the comment that I said I could care what DL calls BOS.

shall we guess who will be the biggest of the big 4 at BOS in the next couple years - even before AA and US have a merged operation?

there is nothing to guess - DL will always be bigger no matter what - there is not way in anything viewed threw rose colored glasses could have it any other way

shall we guess who will be the largest in LAX in the next couple of years

sorry one more thing - if you don't care what DL calls the BOS hub, non hub, omnidirectional hub, key market etc - why are you posting on this thread

Reactions: 2 people
because E"s statement is more indicative of the discussion. BOS made "the list" but LHR did not

Still says that DL is not going to be just a NYC airline in the NE. they intend to be a major player thruout the NE.

jcw said:
remember all the vitriolic we got when someone said boston is not a hub.

here is the sentence from the last press release:

"with key hubs and markets including Amsterdam, Atlanta, Boston, Detroit, Los Angeles, Minneapolis/St. Paul, New York-JFK, New York-LaGuardia, Paris-Charles de Gaulle, Salt Lake City, Seattle and Tokyo-Narita."

Now if it is not a hub why would you list 11 hubs and one non-hub?  notice CVG or MEM are not on the list

I guess BOS is the only non omnidirectional hub in the DL network
BOS isn't a hub. Its a Key Market/gateway. It is not called a hub internally for Delta. Just a gateway. 

eolesen said:
There's also no mention of London or Chicago, so trying to push "key markets" doesn't really hold water.
London will end up on the list. It was generated before the JV was approved. 

CHI wouldn't make the list. BOS has a P2P network along with hub flying

CHI doesn't even have flights to all the hubs, much less a P2P network. 

jcw said:
let's see they pick BOS over LHR - please you can't rationalize this away - they are calling it a hub - you don't put "one" key city in a list of hubs - your simply amazing how you can rationalize away everything DL does
FWIW you guys are late. Delta changed the hub tag line a minute ago, BOS was listed before they had the JV with Virgin. 

and if you watch the PRs they swap the tag lines. Some times its hubs in AMS, ATL, MSP, DTW, CVG, SLC, NYC, CDG and NRT sometimes its what you posted. 

Thanks for pointing out that DL decided to properly describe the BOS market