California May Grant Illegal Aliens Driver's Licenses

U

UAL_TECH

California May Grant Illegal Aliens Driver's Licenses

September 15, 2008
FAIR - The California state legislature has passed a bill that would allow illegal aliens to obtain driver's licenses. Sponsored by Senator Gilbert Cedillo (D-Los Angeles), the California REAL ID Act of 2007 (S.B. 60) passed the state assembly on Friday, August 29th and is currently being considered by Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger. (KMPH, August 31, 2008; S.B. 60)

And Then:

California stopped issuing driver's licenses to individuals who could not prove legal residency in 1993. A document on Cedillo's website maintains that "persons who can not show proof of legal residency currently drive on [California] roadways without being tested, licensed, or insured." (Senator Gilbert Cedillo's Fact Sheet on S.B. 60) Cedillo's legislation would give the approximately 2.2 million illegal aliens residing in California 18 months after the bill's passage to apply for the 'driving only license.'
(S.B. 60) Speaking on S.B. 60, Senator Cedillo told KMPH, "This isn't about immigrants, it's about highway safety." (KMPH, August 31, 2008)
However, the bill also contains a provision that prohibits police from arresting or detaining individuals for driving without a license. (S.B. 60, Sec.6(a))

:wacko: :down:

B) xUT

Anything to improve the safety of our roads, I'm in support of. We welcome with open arms the home prices that are artificially low because legal people didn't build them, yet we freak out about these "illegal" people being required to get licenses.

Anyone who's been to California, Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona knows about the way these Mexicans drive...it's careless, reckless, and costs people their lives

Let them have licenses...take the driving tests...pass a vision test...know the differences between red and green. Make the pedestrians get licenses too so they'll know to cross at a crosswalk and not between exits on the Ventura Freeway dodging cars pushing a shopping basket with their 7 children.

I'm behind it 100%...Native Californian and Caucasian.

Anything to improve the safety of our roads, I'm in support of. We welcome with open arms the home prices that are artificially low because legal people didn't build them, yet we freak out about these "illegal" people being required to get licenses.

Anyone who's been to California, Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona knows about the way these Mexicans drive...it's careless, reckless, and costs people their lives

Let them have licenses...take the driving tests...pass a vision test...know the differences between red and green. Make the pedestrians get licenses too so they'll know to cross at a crosswalk and not between exits on the Ventura Freeway dodging cars pushing a shopping basket with their 7 children.

Getting a license isn't going to change anything except bring in money for the state.

Getting a license isn't going to change anything except bring in money for the state.

I beg to differ with this. Taking a written test of driving skills and testing their vision ALONE will remove hundreds of dangerous people from the roads. Imagine how many of these people need glasses and don't have them but are driving around. And how about putting them in the system so they've got a license to suspend when they're convicted of drunk driving.

No doubt, putting them in the system will generate much-needed revenue, but they're USING the roads and it's everyone who uses the roads' responsibility to pay for them in licensing fees and vehicle registration.

100% in support of this. The federal government regulates immigration. The states issue driver licenses. They have nothing to do with one another. This is just the right thing to do.

I beg to differ with this. Taking a written test of driving skills and testing their vision ALONE will remove hundreds of dangerous people from the roads. Imagine how many of these people need glasses and don't have them but are driving around. And how about putting them in the system so they've got a license to suspend when they're convicted of drunk driving.

No doubt, putting them in the system will generate much-needed revenue, but they're USING the roads and it's everyone who uses the roads' responsibility to pay for them in licensing fees and vehicle registration.

100% in support of this. The federal government regulates immigration. The states issue driver licenses. They have nothing to do with one another. This is just the right thing to do.

The federal government regulates immigration.

Lady you are out of touch with reality. :blink:

I beg to differ here,Bobbie......if they can't pass the test...you actually think they won't drive? C'mon.....It doesn't stop them now.
As far as drunk drivers......that isn't going to stop them either....wake up...you live there don't you?

Think driver license matters?

The constitution is clear that the federal government has the responsibility of regulating immigration. As the constitution also reserves all powers not specified in the Constitution for the states, the driver licensing falls under the state domain. The Real ID Act seeks to change that somewhat, but it's not in effect yet and is in dispute.

The prosecution of traffic criminals is one thing that can be more readily done if we know who is on the road and can document their conduct more effectively. I want them paying the same fees I am if they're going to be here. The federal government can deal with their immigration issues on their own. While they're in our state, using our roads, I want them chipping in. Taxes, drivers licenses, etc. I want them paying their fair share. They have an unfair advantage over legal US workers in that they don't pay anything and collect benefits just the same. It's not fair.

The constitution is clear that the federal government has the responsibility of regulating immigration. As the constitution also reserves all powers not specified in the Constitution for the states, the driver licensing falls under the state domain. The Real ID Act seeks to change that somewhat, but it's not in effect yet and is in dispute.

The prosecution of traffic criminals is one thing that can be more readily done if we know who is on the road and can document their conduct more effectively. I want them paying the same fees I am if they're going to be here. The federal government can deal with their immigration issues on their own. While they're in our state, using our roads, I want them chipping in. Taxes, drivers licenses, etc. I want them paying their fair share. They have an unfair advantage over legal US workers in that they don't pay anything and collect benefits just the same. It's not fair.

If you force them to pay their fair share (e.g., licensing fees, taxes, etc.) then they will either demand higher wages or leave to other areas where they are not required to pay their fair share. Then what will you do, Bobbie? You would have to say goodbye to the so-called "home prices that are artificially low because legal people didn't build them."

Looks like you are in a bind, Bobbie. Will you have to choose between the lesser of two evils?

The constitution is clear that the federal government has the responsibility of regulating immigration.

The federal government can deal with their immigration issues on their own.

So tell me....how's that working for you where you live?

The prosecution of traffic criminals is one thing that can be more readily done if we know who is on the road and can document their conduct more effectively.

Info

Like I said before.....Lady,you are out of touch with present reality......

You are a perfect example of what is so wrong with California (Yes I live here too).
This bill will do ‘nothing’ but create a placeholder subject to future amendments.
Illegal’s will not participate simply because they do not have to. They are doing just fine now on their fake ID’s, no drivers license, no insurance, fake vehicle registration, fake green card and fake SSN. There is no incentive for them to participate. And those that do, what will it prove? They take their fake documentation and get a drivers license. If they get it revoked, they will get another set of fake documentation and get another one. It is a total farce and waste of energy. Hopefully, the Governator will veto this POS as well.

BTW, people that are color blind can get a license too.
:wacko: :wacko:

B) xUT

Latest posts