Carty adds credibility to Virgin America launch

Paul

Veteran
Nov 15, 2005
Don Carty, the low-keyed Canadian who rose to the top ranks of American Airlines parent AMR only to be forced out over a bonus scheme, has returned to prominence in the airline industry, becoming non-executive chairman of Virgin America, the Richard Branson-backed startup seeking to start low-fares, long-distance service from a San Francisco base.

Carty, 59, will also become an investor in the project with a stake in VAI Partners, which owns a 75% equity stake in Virgin America, the carrier said. The rest of the airline is owned by the Virgin Group, controlled by Branson.

Carty brings “vast experienceâ€￾ to Virgin America, said the startup’s chief executive, Fred Reid. Carty was chairman and chief executive of American’s parent AMR from 1998, when he succeeded legendary boss Bob Crandall, until April 2003. He resigned then amid labour objections to management perks after unions accepted $1.8 billion in concessions to help the company avoid bankruptcy. Except for two years in the mid-1980s at the helm of American’s affiliate, Canadian Pacific Airlines, Carty spent 24 years at American.

Flight International

Will Virgin America ever actually fly passengers? They are VaporAirlines.

They plan to start this year, but....

The Transportation Department review has been slowed by protests from rival airlines and airline labor unions. They allege Virgin America's application is incomplete. They also challenge whether Virgin America is controlled by U.S. citizens, as required by law, or by British entrepreneur Richard Branson. Branson's Virgin Group Ltd. has invested some of the airline's $177 million in startup cash and controls 25 percent of the airline's voting stock.

Article

Carty brings "vast experience" alright. Not the kind of experience I want. I was actually considering applying to VA, but not any more. I would say that Branson better keep an eye on Don. just my thoughts.......

Does the country really need another "Low Fare Carrier"?

I keep hearing about "Overcapacity" so what we're going to do is allow yet another low cost low fare airline take to the skies? Yeah, that'll help.

Brilliant.

It's called free enterprise and competition. It helps the majority with competative prices, and weeds out the inefficient. Painful to the inefficient yes, but in the long run it is best for society as a whole

It's called free enterprise and competition. It helps the majority with competative prices, and weeds out the inefficient. Painful to the inefficient yes, but in the long run it is best for society as a whole

That theory might work in other industries, but in the airline industry it has been nothing but a diaster. The airlines were regulated for a reason and now we know why.

Latest posts