changing careers..

crAAckmonkey

Feb 2, 2012
I am an aircraft mechanic and have worked corporate and commercial aviation for 12 years. I have always enjoyed and been proud of my profession, but it would seem I am part of a dying breed. With the surge of overseas maintenance and low cost MRO's it would seem the U.S. AMT is being outsourced at an alarming rate. I am facing yet another layoff and the future of my career is in doubt. I only feel fortunate to be young enough to go back to school.. many of my colleagues are not. My only issue is, what do I go back to school for?? Is there a career field that my experience, combined with more education, would translate into? Any advice or suggestions are much appreciated..

I think the first step is to decide what field you want to study? Do you want to "sort of" stay in a related field, or do a 180, and become, say, and accountant? If it's the former, I wouldn't discount your experience, but rather would pick a degree that compliments it. I know people vomit at the thought of a mgmt. degree, but there are many now that are more tailored to a frontline position (ie crew chief or supervisor) than what we tradionally think of. While you're deciding on which road to take, you can always bang out some of the pre-req's. You may also be able to test out and/or get experiential credit for some classes as well. Make sure to pursue those optios fully.

I would also HIGHLY encourage you to check out any online learning options available. I did that for much of my degree track, and completion simply wouldn't have been an option if that weren't available. It's the same core curriculum, but in my experience, it was much more participative than a brick-and-mortar setting. It also tends to skew older, so people were my (our?) age w/tons of real world experience, as opposed to a room full of 18-20 year old.

As far as the job search, start networking now. Besides looking online, start networking, get a Linkedin account, and so on. You never know who might have a line on something.

Good luck! let us know how it turns out.

Good advice, Kev. Particularly in relation to the age of the students. I remember when I was a freshman in college (not quite a thousand years ago), there was a woman in my class who had decided to go back to college full-time in her early 40's. She seemed absolutely ancient to those of us who were barely 18. And, we considered her sharing life experiences in class right on par with lectures from our parents who, of course, knew nothing. :lol:

Being in a class with people of similar age and experience is a very comfortable way to learn. When I started my graduate work in business, it was at night, and most of the people in the classes were 40 or older (and employed, mostly in major industry). We all had real world business experiences to share. The professors loved it also.

I have done it after 12 years as an AMT and if you don't already have a degree, you should get one because it gets you interviews and higher paying offers.

I love maintenance and have a BS degree from ERAU so I tried to stick to my core. I went to an engineering firm that manufactured food and drug processing equipment and traveled the world installing, commisioning and servicing but the travel was rough. The FDA cGMP experience has made me attractive to both the medical device and pharma industries as a plant mechanic. You can choose between plant systems mtc, processing equipment mtc or both. You will find the pay to be anywhere between $27 and 33/hour-pending where you are and who you work for. Most places are 24/7 so there is shift and weekend work of any combination involved. Many are 3/ 12's.

As an AMT, your experience exceeds most maintenance candidates on the market. You see, most mechanics out here fell into the maintenance field but you had to work for your maintenace background-you WANTED it. Don't sell your self short during salary negotiations. Find out what your market/future employer is paying (glassdoor.com) and aim high.

If you want better hours and remain technical, go for amechanical engineering degree. Don't fear the math. I have yet to work with an engineer in the past 19 yrs who used math. But they start out in the mid sixties and have great hours and w/es off. The best of luck to you!

I am an aircraft mechanic and have worked corporate and commercial aviation for 12 years. I have always enjoyed and been proud of my profession, but it would seem I am part of a dying breed. With the surge of overseas maintenance and low cost MRO's it would seem the U.S. AMT is being outsourced at an alarming rate. I am facing yet another layoff and the future of my career is in doubt. I only feel fortunate to be young enough to go back to school.. many of my colleagues are not. My only issue is, what do I go back to school for?? Is there a career field that my experience, combined with more education, would translate into? Any advice or suggestions are much appreciated..
Many of us from the ranks of the honorable who struck NWA, and we're subsequently replaced have moved on into other fields of work. I personally know a few who went into nursing, several went to biomedical firms maintaining equipment in plants or research facilities. Some have gone into maintaining medical imaging equipment. Many went to the FAA as Technicians maintaining NAVAID infrastructure or as Safety Inspectors.

I used my A&P certificate and recieved college credit for it at ENMU. I went on to get my Bachelors Degree and an am now pursuing my Masters. I know the FAA is hiring now due to a large number of retires. Go here to find those jobs.

Good luck.

I think most people would be surprised of what they are capable of if they took the initiative.

but I must say, aviation never ever leaves you. hence my haunting these boards for 18 yres. It is a passion. but as an old timer told me, you cant feed your family on passion alone.

Many of us from the ranks of the honorable who struck NWA, and we're subsequently replaced have moved on into other fields of work. I personally know a few who went into nursing, several went to biomedical firms maintaining equipment in plants or research facilities. Some have gone into maintaining medical imaging equipment. Many went to the FAA as Technicians maintaining NAVAID infrastructure or as Safety Inspectors.

I used my A&P certificate and recieved college credit for it at ENMU. I went on to get my Bachelors Degree and an am now pursuing my Masters. I know the FAA is hiring now due to a large number of retires. Go here to find those jobs.

Good luck.

My wife has inspired me to go back to school also,She is currently doing the law thing after graduating TCU with honors...and her daughter is currently a BIC honor student in Baylor with a full ride.It can be done,for that matter anything is possible...

Lots of great schools within a reasonable commute of DFW & AFW. My wife enrolled at Texas Wesleyan after AA eliminated her job in 2002.

Can't stress grades strongly enough -- she wound up on the honor roll for her first semester, and stayed there, which meant far more access to grant money and scholarships.

Why work for someone else? Start your own business doing what YOU want to do. Layoffs can happen anywhere.

I was a 20 yr avionics tech and made the transition into aviation technical writing 11 yrs ago (cut my teeth at America West / US Airways) and was the best move I ever made. Currently the technical writing field is HOT due to all the new technology being invested into managing technical data (all fields to include aviation, medical, auto, etc.) Right now the latest technology is S1000D, so anyone with training in S1000D shouldn't have any problem finding a good paying job.

Good luck.

During our Bankruptcy debacle Sharon Levine, the Lawyer the TWU hired was pushing the "save jobs at any cost" line (as no doubt her client had instructed her to do), and she claimed that the overwhelming majority of mechanics at NWA ended up worse off than if they had accepted the concessions(dont see how thats possible given the fact that more than half would have been let go anyway). That they were only able to land jobs at places like Home Depot. She claimed to have seen a study on it, but never produced it. My response was that the people who ended up at Home Depot probably belonged there in the first place as many carriers carry a percentage of mechanics that arent mechanics and that guys with skills usually end up doing better. Maybe not right away, but after a few years.

Your post and others contradicts her claims. Thanks, good to hear another success story from someone who was smart enough to leave.

Like I've often told guys, I've never run across anybody who left AA standing on a street corner begging for money, we land on our feet.

Reactions: 1 person
Lots of great schools within a reasonable commute of DFW & AFW. My wife enrolled at Texas Wesleyan after AA eliminated her job in 2002.

Can't stress grades strongly enough -- she wound up on the honor roll for her first semester, and stayed there, which meant far more access to grant money and scholarships.

My wife focused more on grades than getting it done quicker, much to my fustration as she already was working in the Hospital where she would end up being a Nurse. Could have used the extra $210,000 more than the 4.0.

If you are burned out at being an AMT after only twelve years but love and wish to remain in aviation forget about being an AMT and become an A&P in General Aviation. Forget about the shift work, rotating RDO,s, seniority list, realignments and union dues I won't even bring up the amount you pay in taxes. There is so much more out there. For me it's Warbirds, Bananzas and kit planes. If you have your IA there Is a lot of work out there. Granted its a tough market to break into but once your in, your in. The experimental side is booming. No IA required, though if you don't have it get it. Once a builder sells his plane the new owner has to have an A&P sign off the condition inspection. It's a lot of work but working for yourself is the most rewarding thing you will ever do. Another niche market is prop balancing. I was amazed at the amount of money that such a simple thing can generate. This guy has a regular route he makes and every time he comes here there are two to three planes waiting on him. Oh yes about those taxes, you would be amazed at the right offs available to you. Love working Monday thru Friday, days only. Customers like to treat you to lunch and let you use their condo in Keystone. So many options available to you. Aviation is a wonderful thing. Oh yea, if you don't have your pilots license, trade hundred hour inspections for flight time and instruction. Life can be good without the hassle of big businesses that only know you by your seniority date.

Reactions: 1 person
If you are burned out at being an AMT after only twelve years but love and wish to remain in aviation forget about being an AMT and become an A&P in General Aviation. Forget about the shift work, rotating RDO,s, seniority list, realignments and union dues I won't even bring up the amount you pay in taxes. There is so much more out there. For me it's Warbirds, Bananzas and kit planes. If you have your IA there Is a lot of work out there. Granted its a tough market to break into but once your in, your in. The experimental side is booming. No IA required, though if you don't have it get it. Once a builder sells his plane the new owner has to have an A&P sign off the condition inspection. It's a lot of work but working for yourself is the most rewarding thing you will ever do. Another niche market is prop balancing. I was amazed at the amount of money that such a simple thing can generate. This guy has a regular route he makes and every time he comes here there are two to three planes waiting on him. Oh yes about those taxes, you would be amazed at the right offs available to you. Love working Monday thru Friday, days only. Customers like to treat you to lunch and let you use their condo in Keystone. So many options available to you. Aviation is a wonderful thing. Oh yea, if you don't have your pilots license, trade hundred hour inspections for flight time and instruction. Life can be good without the hassle of big businesses that only know you by your seniority date.
Did you put your NWA SCAB experience on your resume? :p

Reactions: 4 people

Latest posts