Commiefornia allows college aid to illegal immigrants

Not really. Had he gone after any companies we would not have the issues have now. Bush came up with that silly wall and I believe he had his own amnesty program (although that may have been someone else) as I recall but that's about it.

How stupid of me.....it was Clinton who fined some 400 companies.

Obama increased it more than Clinton but that changed a few weeks ago.....elections you know....

So like many other libertarians you are not so big on the details on how your grand ideas would work. Do you let everyone in? What if thye show up at the border and have an extensive criminal history, do you let that person in? If you answer no to either one then you are not for open borders.
Don't lecture me! Somewhere between the philosophical and political realities of the day I think it safe to say that open borders means open borders with certain obvious & basic criteria.

Criminal record being one of them. Felony would likely keep you out. Misdemeanor not so sure.

Public Health Concerns would also addressed.

Don't lecture me! Somewhere between the philosophical and political realities of the day I think it safe to say that open borders means open borders with certain obvious & basic criteria.

Criminal record being one of them. Felony would likely keep you out. Misdemeanor not so sure.

Public Health Concerns would also addressed.

So you're not for open borders. You can't be if you want people at the border or the airports checking to see if someone has a criminal history or poses a public health threat.

How would this country handle the sudden influx of people if we were to suddenly open our borders? Where would these people live and where would they get jobs? Theses are just a couple questions that so called libertarians obviously don't think about.

Open borders was tried once before on a small scale, it was called the Mariel Boatlifet. While the majority of people just wanted a better life Castro used it as an opportunity to fluch is looney bins and prisons on the USA. The US had to set up camps all over the southeast to handle all these people coming here.

So you're not for open borders. You can't be if you want people at the border or the airports checking to see if someone has a criminal history or poses a public health threat.

How would this country handle the sudden influx of people if we were to suddenly open our borders? Where would these people live and where would they get jobs? Theses are just a couple questions that so called libertarians obviously don't think about.

Open borders was tried once before on a small scale, it was called the Mariel Boatlifet. While the majority of people just wanted a better life Castro used it as an opportunity to fluch is looney bins and prisons on the USA. The US had to set up camps all over the southeast to handle all these people coming here.

Below is the text of the Libertarian Party Platform regarding immigration and economic freedom

3.4 Free Trade and Migration

We support the removal of governmental impediments to free trade. Political freedom and escape
from tyranny demand that individuals not be unreasonably constrained by government in the
crossing of political boundaries. Economic freedom demands the unrestricted movement of human
as well as financial capital across national borders. However, we support control over the entry into
our country of foreign nationals who pose a credible threat to security, health or property.

More detail HERE

This pretty much sums up my position. I'm not engaging in semantics over your definitions, Here's my position as articulated by the Libertarian Party. Their position is known as an Open Borders position. Deal with it.

I already read their definition of open borders. Like you the Libertarian party beleives in open borders in name only. The Libertarian Party also seems to have not concerned themselves with the details of open borders. What's ironic for all their talk of smaller government you would have to expand the government in order to deal with influx of people.

I already read their definition of open borders. Like you the Libertarian party beleives in open borders in name only. The Libertarian Party also seems to have not concerned themselves with the details of open borders. What's ironic for all their talk of smaller government you would have to expand the government in order to deal with influx of people.

You make the assumption that we would be flooded with immigrants which may or may not be true. Just remember we're all immigrants except for the remnants of the native tribes.

You make the assumption that we would be flooded with immigrants which may or may not be true. Just remember we're all immigrants except for the remnants of the native tribes.

I'll use the Mariel Boatlift as an example again. Like now the economy back then was not in very good shape yet over a 125000 people risked life and limb to come here. Why, they had grown tired of living in the people's paradise. Also being poor in the USA, even though it sucks, is still better than being poor in any third world country.

You would be hard pressed to find any country that has a policy of open borders and keeps it.

I'll use the Mariel Boatlift as an example again. Like now the economy back then was not in very good shape yet over a 125000 people risked life and limb to come here. Why, they had grown tired of living in the people's paradise. Also being poor in the USA, even though it sucks, is still better than being poor in any third world country.

You would be hard pressed to find any country that has a policy of open borders and keeps it.

Agreed on open borders, which is why sometimes reality gets in the way of philosophy. However one of the ways the poor survive here is through the social safety net. What if people who came here were like our ancestors? "On their own" might be a significant deterrent, again I have no idea. I like the concept of open borders but sometimes Libertarians live in La La Land when it comes to certain realities. This might be one such time.

Back