Compass+Mesaba+Comair=RHS

WTF?!

For those without access, here you go:

"New subsidiary will oversee Delta Connection ops
February 10, 2009

Delta has formed a new wholly owned subsidiary – Regional Handling Services – to ensure a higher level of consistency at Delta Connection-staffed airports throughout the U.S. RHS will assume responsibility for airport ticket counter, gate and baggage handling services currently managed by Delta’s wholly owned subsidiaries Comair and Mesaba in about 100 small- and medium-sized airports, including regional hub operations in Cincinnati, Detroit and Minneapolis.

RHS will work with Delta and the Delta Connection carriers to develop product and performance standards for all elements of the airport experience; streamline handling procedures and training; and establish a consistent station performance management and quality assurance program.

The subsidiary will be comprised of about 4,100 airport customer service employees from Comair, Mesaba and Compass. RHS will be based alongside Delta Connection in Minneapolis. Don Stephens, former Comair v.p. for System Planning and Customer Service, will lead the new organization. RHS also will oversee airport customer service functions for 170 airport locations handled by Delta Connection ground handling partners nationwide.

“As there is minimal overlap of the Comair and Mesaba ground handling networks, we anticipate no involuntary frontline reductions for employees of Comair and Mesaba as a result of the creation of RHS, with any staffing adjustments expected to be managed through attrition and voluntary programs,â€￾ said Don Bornhorst, v.p.-Delta Connection, in a memo to employees. “It is important to note that the creation of RHS will not impact the flying operations of Comair, Mesaba or Compass. Each airline will continue to be based at its respective headquarters with a core focus on delivering safe, reliable and on-time flights for Delta customers. Additionally, the creation of this subsidiary will have no impact to Delta or Northwest mainline jobs.â€￾

This oughta get interesting, especially since working Compass flights is explicitly covered under both IAM CBA's at NWA...

Comair employees-sign onto Epic to read. Looks like we merged with Compass and Mesaba today.
I second Kev's WTF. Why not throw DGS in the mix as well? It does make sense to have all parties flying under the same flag.

I second Kev's WTF. Why not throw DGS in the mix as well? It does make sense to have all parties flying under the same flag.

There goes Pinnacle ground handling operations!!!!! And whatever hopes that had!!!!! :angry:

I've gotten an even better idea. Why stop at ground handling, throw in the pilots, F/A, and mechanics also. We could just have just ONE company. What would we call it? I know, how about Delta Airlines? All of this wholly owned sub crap needs to just go away.

So..is this actually going to be a merger between three airlines(integrating all three operations together) or is this just for ground services?

I've gotten an even better idea. Why stop at ground handling, throw in the pilots, F/A, and mechanics also. We could just have just ONE company. What would we call it? I know, how about Delta Airlines? All of this wholly owned sub crap needs to just go away.

Your proposal is based entirely on logic, efficiency and common sense; which is why it won't happen any time soon...

So..is this actually going to be a merger between three airlines(integrating all three operations together) or is this just for ground services?

The latter...

........I seen it coming.....

This is Dickie's plan for a two-tier operation, where you will have another company within a company to replace (or rename) Comair and Mesaba into a second tier operation where the pay will be much lower and little or no benefits.

Looks like Pinnacle will be shut out in all of this. And what will be the status of Compass? And will they will be still under the IAM's CBA?

I knew that Dickie was up to something since it took so long to announce the ground handling contracts and the mainline integration with NW. And what about the "near industry leading pay" that you guys were promised.

I feel for the OH and the XJ people. Dickie said that they will keep what they have. How long that's gonna last? And how does DGS fits into the mix? Will they be folded into this new company or will they be a seperate company to do other airlines flights? Can these employees be transferred into DL mainline if openings are available (to get rid of some of these Ready Reserves) if they wanted to?

You have to figure why there was all of this labor strife at NW. Now I can see why..

Oh, one other thing.
Since DL is closing all of these gates (over 170 if I'm correct) are they going to keep all of the NW mainline stations (that are in cities that do not have combined mainline ops with DL)? Just wondering.......

........I seen it coming.....

This is Dickie's plan for a two-tier operation, where you will have another company within a company to replace (or rename) Comair and Mesaba into a second tier operation where the pay will be much lower and little or no benefits.

Looks like Pinnacle will be shut out in all of this. And what will be the status of Compass? And will they will be still under the IAM's CBA?

I knew that Dickie was up to something since it took so long to announce the ground handling contracts and the mainline integration with NW. And what about the "near industry leading pay" that you guys were promised.

I feel for the OH and the XJ people. Dickie said that they will keep what they have. How long that's gonna last? And how does DGS fits into the mix? Will they be folded into this new company or will they be a seperate company to do other airlines flights? Can these employees be transferred into DL mainline if openings are available (to get rid of some of these Ready Reserves) if they wanted to?

You have to figure why there was all of this labor strife at NW. Now I can see why..

Oh, one other thing.
Since DL is closing all of these gates (over 170 if I'm correct) are they going to keep all of the NW mainline stations (that are in cities that do not have combined mainline ops with DL)? Just wondering.......
I'm just curious, what about Midwest in all of this? Northwest bought into it, now Delta, I guess, has collected it... Heck, why not add them into the mix as well? Just call it Mid-Com-Pass-Air-West - Mess? Just don't stand South of it!

I'm just curious, what about Midwest in all of this? Northwest bought into it, now Delta, I guess, has collected it... Heck, why not add them into the mix as well? Just call it Mid-Com-Pass-Air-West - Mess? Just don't stand South of it!
The AirTran/Midwest merged airline name would have been better: Midair :up:

Back