Completing Terminal 8 JFK

Barfbag

Veteran
Oct 30, 2006
Now what? JAL is back.

If AA is truely committed to OneWorld and beyond it can do so by simply announcing the start date for the completion of phase three of said terminal's completion at JFK.

Housing all IB BA AA JP under the same roof would be a boon for AA's ground employees including passsenger services. It would also justify beyond measure the need for badly needed ground service equipment, as well as the hiring of hundreds of employees, mostly TWU positions to the ranks.

Now what? JAL is back.

If AA is truely committed to OneWorld and beyond it can do so by simply announcing the start date for the completion of phase three of said terminal's completion at JFK.

Housing all IB BA AA JP under the same roof would be a boon for AA's ground employees including passsenger services. It would also justify beyond measure the need for badly needed ground service equipment, as well as the hiring of hundreds of employees, mostly TWU positions to the ranks.

That would be a great announcement.....But the reality is that there are no plans at all for the completion of phase three at all. AA will not complete phase three not in the forseeable future.

That would be a great announcement.....But the reality is that there are no plans at all for the completion of phase three at all. AA will not complete phase three not in the forseeable future.

Never say never. No plans in the foreseeable future does not mean never.

As a passenger it would be a great announcement because it would finally mean the end of having to hop terminals at JFK which is a PITA.

Someone recently posted here or on Flyertalk that BA owns their terminal and have invested enough in it that they're not likely to move. But if AA/BA/IB ATI is granted, consolidating the OW flights in an expanded T8 (as was probably the plan in 1999 when it was announced), would greatly enhance the connections.

I have little doubt that BA would be able to monetize their investments, either thru a sale or subleasing to unaffiliated carriers looking to get out of the IAB.

Someone recently posted here or on Flyertalk that BA owns their terminal and have invested enough in it that they're not likely to move. But if AA/BA/IB ATI is granted, consolidating the OW flights in an expanded T8 (as was probably the plan in 1999 when it was announced), would greatly enhance the connections.

I wonder if JAL would move to T8 now.

Possibly -- especially if bankruptcy allows them to get out the their T1 lease obligations.

Possibly -- especially if bankruptcy allows them to get out the their T1 lease obligations.

I was just thinking that very thing, use bankruptcy to get of the lease obligation.

But I really don't ever see BA or JL coming to the AA stable, both of those airlines have cabin appearance standards AA would more than likely be incapable of meeting.

I don't see JL or BA tolerating paying for 20 cleaners and getting 10 the way Asiana used to.CSM's used to laugh at the Asiana reps when they'd count cleaners on their 744 and come up short.

Never mind the increase in heads this would generate.The spread sheet worshipers in DFW would fall dead in their cubicles.

Don't think they'll move. They own T1 under a partnership of a few other airlines. Unless someone is willing to buy them out. That's why the partner airlines that constructed the terminal have their names in a big sign by the terminal. BA invested in T7 heavily. Airlines own the buildings to certain extent. They alway pay rent to the PANYNJ for the land under it. Thats why PANJNY inject money into the terminal during construction.

To this very day, the LHR/NY-JFK/NRT corridor is still the most "prized" in the world.
Yes, China is now a "player", which will force AA's hand with More China, hopefully from NY.
Maybe(finally) some 777-200 LR(world liners) in AA's stable soon.

DL can brag all they want out of JFK, but the 2 biggest "plums" are JFK/LHR, and perhaps JFK/LAX, which belong to "you know who"
Notice Branson(no bashful guy he) hasn't gone head-head with AA on JFK/LAX !

Perhaps you've been hibernating, but Virgin America has 5x daily on JFK-LAX.

Might not be head to head on a frequency basis, but they're certainly in the market, and I know people who willingly choose them on a regular basis vs. flying AA or UA.

To this very day, the LHR/NY-JFK/NRT corridor is still the most "prized" in the world.
Yes, China is now a "player", which will force AA's hand with More China, hopefully from NY.
Maybe(finally) some 777-200 LR(world liners) in AA's stable soon.

DL can brag all they want out of JFK, but the 2 biggest "plums" are JFK/LHR, and perhaps JFK/LAX, which belong to "you know who"
Notice Branson(no bashful guy he) hasn't gone head-head with AA on JFK/LAX !
Yea they're a prize but they're about best fares around the area. I Have seen people travel from CT and even further to travel LHR cheaper fares because the competition that LHR has out of EWR/JFK. LAX market has to much capacity most of the carriers fly out of NYC to LAX at JFK you've DL, UA, B6 and VX. T8 is sometime empty I hope that they explore new options out JFK both DOM and INT'L but that will take away FLTs from their MIA and ORD HUB. I hear that DL is putting pressure on locals because they want to exercise their option for T4. They're one of many carries that gave funds for the construction of T4. I hope that T8 will be use to it max capacity even if its other customers generate new revenue for AA.

With ATI just getting approved for BA & AA, I see more oneworld consolidation than not in the immediate future, even if it means JL going into the BA terminal...

Perhaps you've been hibernating, but Virgin America has 5x daily on JFK-LAX.

Might not be head to head on a frequency basis, but they're certainly in the market, and I know people who willingly choose them on a regular basis vs. flying AA or UA.

Then why are they whin'in?