Council 70 AFA Meeting!

awa2usa

Oct 30, 2006
I just heard that the AFA Council meeting in Philadelphia was like WWF smackdown today. :lol: I could not attend but does anyone have the details?

Well, I don't have details, from what I was told by second hand information, all 3 officers resigned. Laura did allow for the members to change the agenda to include new business, however, when new business came, that last hour, she did not allow the members to make a motion to schedule a Special Meeting for the purpose of a recall. My understanding this went back and forth with members so upset. Then, I believe she said she would just resign if the other officers resign....and they did.

PHL...you rock :up: I understand that the meeting was video recorded. Terry, my hats off to you for your energy on giving the members a chance for their voices to be heard.

Very heartened by the members taking back their union. This will ensure that all leadership know that they are not above their members and ARE accountable.

There now has to be a new election for PHL within 90 days according to the C&B and in the interim, Pat Friend will appoint (probably Mike, AFA suck-up Flores.) and 2 other members to run the PHL base and represent PHL at the AFA BOD meeting. (Pat will ensure that PHL votes for the people she wants at the International election so I suspect she will hand pick her cronnies during this interim).

I find it very hard to believe that out of 50,000 members, there is nO ONE challenging Pat Friend for reelection next month.

Just have to shake my head why folks are so damn intimidated.
Learn the AFA Constitution, and you can do anyones job.

Simple.

If any one decides to run for office, make sure those of you choose the right people to run with you who are compatible with your beliefs and can work synergistic with you. Run on the same ticket. Recruit the right people to sit in the right seats. I am of the hope that the best, educated union-minded members run for office, and the best of those, win!

Do not be intimidated by the job or worried to run for office. When PIT officers ran 5 years ago, no one knew how to argue a grievance, file a grievance, conduct a meeting, or know what the Constitution looked like, let alone know it. There is a learning curve. They only had the desire,energy and ambition to succeed. Be taught by those who have nothing politically to gain from you...(and you know what I mean).

Terry Graf has experience with grievances, filing and submission, she can give you her valuable experience and can always be brought in to assist. You will need her and Mary Ellen. If you have the desire and energy, you will learn the position and do great things for PHL members and the entire union at USAirways!

Buddy Brannon, MEC V.P. is a valuable resource, (20-year rep with MEC and LEC experience)AFA contract historian, and can teach you how to conduct a local meeting. He is an expert on the Constitution and MEC policies and procedures for USAirways. He can help you write an agenda item if you so choose. The LECPs than can assist you in anything you need during this process and far better than any training you could possibly receive from the AFA International. These elected positions can be, by far, one of, if not the greatest most rewarding experience you will have in your aviaiton tenure and quite a priviledge.

Good luck to PHL members...I feel very proud of your courage and resiliance to beat the odds. :up:

Thanks PITBull. All the officers resigned? :eek: Even Terri? She is the only one that fights for us in Philadelphia! I did hear Laura was rude and pompus to everyone at the meeting. Very sad that Laura put the base through this. Wonder how many people showed up to voice their opinion, because I wish I could have gotten out of my trip.

I am sure Terry will make herself available to those who are elected. Those who do get elected should bring her in to assist them.

She kept up the momentum for a change in PHL, and those should be proud of her efforts that ensured members their right to be heard...she gave up herself in the process. Terry Graf obviously has proven she has the best intentions for the entire group! :up:

I don't know of any other representatives or heard of any others than both Terry and Mary Ellen who would go to that extent and selfless act to resign their positions for the good of the entire membership and to make way for "change" in leadership.

Pretty damn impressive if ya ask me.

:D Thanks for the update and information PITbull. Remember everyone, PHL F/A's need to get in place a strong leadership team into this office to represent ALL F/A's :up:

Three positions are open, Bob.

There are some really special individuals, actually, many in PHL who have great passion to represent their group and make way for "change". Obviously, the members of PHL have the hindsight and insight on what they need for good representation..I trust that the collective body will be paying close attention, and will make the right decisions to move the the group forward. ;)

One more thing... I suspect that Mike F., MECP will be putting something out on an MEC E-line informing the f/a group what occurred and what the next action will be.

A message needs to go out to the PHL Council letting the members know who to call if they should have any local issues until there are reps appointed in the interim. In the meantime, I would be calling the MEC office on any local matters PHL may need answered.

Don't forget there is still another Union meeting set for November 6th from 1-4pm at the Mariott (airport).
This meeting will have to "mirror" the one on Oct. 30 so if you are not flying please attend.
The same motion should be read, followed by someone who will "second" the motion and then a vote of all who are present will be taken.
It's imperative that Philly flight attendants try and be there.

Here's a question from left field. If TG is so good for the membership, is she prohibited for running for President having resigned the Vice Presidency? Or are there that many members against her?

Just asking from the stands if you will.....

All in all it does appear that the right thing was done.

My best to all the FA's at US.

TG should run again and is able to. She is a wealth of information and I think whoever takes over needs to have her guidance while she is still here. :up:

Here's a question from left field. If TG is so good for the membership, is she prohibited for running for President having resigned the Vice Presidency? Or are there that many members against her?

Anyone can run. Just need two nominations to be on the ballot. IMO, Terry would dilute the votes as she has supporters, but because of this administration fall-out, she wouldn't win. I think who ever wins the election can bring her in to assist them in the process of local issues, e.g., grivances, submission, budget, etc...

:D Thanks for the update and information PITbull. Remember everyone, PHL F/A's need to get in place a strong leadership team into this office to represent ALL F/A's :up:

That Will Never Happen! And Never Has! I Have Been in This From Day 1. There Has NEVER Been An LEC President That Truly Gave A SH@@ About Anyone But Them Selves!!Until This Union Gets There SH@@ Together (starting from the top International)There Will NEVER be Peace and Harmoney Here! NEVER!! :down:

That Will Never Happen! And Never Has! I Have Been in This From Day 1. There Has NEVER Been An LEC President That Truly Gave A SH@@ About Anyone But Them Selves!!Until This Union Gets There SH@@ Together (starting from the top International)There Will NEVER be Peace and Harmoney Here! NEVER!! :down:
You have been in what since day 1? the union? we all have. I know a lot of past and present LECP's that give a sh!t. Just another rant from the FA that chooses to whine and moan, yet never do anything to improve it. Time well spent, my friend. Wah.

According to MECP at the meeting yesterday, all 3 recalled are still eligible to run again for any position. I believe TG said out loud at the meeting that she would run again for VP, but again, she has no interest in being LECP, and that's not what her disagreement was about with LA anyway.... TG said she has no desire to "overtake" LA's position, and TG could have easily won the LECP anyway. TG is interested in working with , defending, and protecting the members, that much I know.

Disagree? That's why we voted to recall all 3, and let the membership decide. Time to wake up and pay attention, PHL FA's.......We'll see if that happens this time around..

I just received word that the resignation goes into effect on Dec. 1. And, there is word out there that the same motion has to be presented at the PHL Nov. 6 meeting.

How convoluted is that? It would be very disingenuous if the same motion is not presented.

I guess Laura will be representing the PHL f/as at the AFA BOD meeting in November after all.
Ugh...

Just out of idle curiosity where is the AFA spending the dues paying members money at this year? Must be nice or why would LA even bother?
Um, not positive, but I believe certain people need LA's "vote" at the meeting.... can anyone clarify that?

Back