Customer Service

Actually Piney, many of us are realizing that the whole A&B Drawing is rigged and it is really not worth the cost of a stamp to send them in. I don't send mine in anymore. I used to send in over 50+ (sometimes up to a hundred) cards in the calendar quarter and would get ZILCH. Others have told me the same....but then you have someone in Revenue Accounting, Timekeeping or Payroll Management send in one card and rake in the bucks! Something is fishy if you ask me and, of course, there is no oversight to what happens when cards are mailed in and who makes the final "cut" for the drawing when Quarterly Results are announced.

In addition, the positive comments that passengers write on the cards are never passed onto the employees' supervisors or placed in our files. As a matter of fact, the cards are now so small that you can barely write anything on them at all.

So don't be insulted that we don't send them in. We appreciate receiving them from our customers....but most of us know that sending them in to the Company is a waste of our time. By all appearances the names chosen in the drawing at the end of the quarter have already been "pre-selected".
some new girl from Tempe went to Boston for auditors job..... now admin manager.....
gets a A&B wins 1000.00 you tell me how that happens.
I agree it's rigged........

<SNIP> While we're at it let's entice Barry Biffle away from Spirit to assume the role of Chief Marketing Officer.
Is that the guy behind this?

k0e63ndyf.jpg

I think he appeals more to the Kettles, but then anything beats those stupid ON TIME banner ads that are on FT right now.

Piney gets it why can't the people that run this place. Our sick calls are high because we have an aging workforce. They have inadvertently created the fly until you die program just by not bridging the medical for retirement. As we get old we have more illness and with the flight attendant group especially, 32,000 feet takes a lot more effort. It wears you out fast so add that up 30-40 years. This company needs a decent buyout period. It needs to be substantial and contain some form of medical for people who can bridge to retirement. No one is going anywhere because they can not afford it and more important need the medical. Then they are harassed by the company for taking time off which makes them more bitter and adviserial. It's one never ending circle.
The solution is there but it will pay for itself in 2 years if they would invest the up front cost to let people leave. The new blood will be a great investment and pay for itself 10 fold.

Does one need to have perfect attendance to win? That would weed out a lot I imagine.

I don't recall using the words "perfect attendance" in my post.

I don't quite see how one can jump from "attendance problem" to "perfect attendance." That's quite a leap. I think anyone should be able to understand what "attendance problem" means, but to clarify, I meant excessive or abusive use of sick time or consistent tardiness.

I don't recall using the words "perfect attendance" in my post.

I don't quite see how one can jump from "attendance problem" to "perfect attendance." That's quite a leap.

That is why I asked in the form of a question. Let's face facts here...the main reason that so many of us think that the A&B Program is rigged or is a farce is because we no longer have TRUST or BELIEVE in our management. :down:

Next we offer generous early outs for anyone with over 20 years experience and get some new blood at the bottom as you suggest.

I disagree with this statement. The long-timers know where all of the bodies are buried. As a 17+-year employee at my company, I would hate to think that somebody would want to buy me out to bring in new blood. My longevity is precisely what helps me do my job better. (I started out as a greenhorn, by the way.....right out of college.)

I think it is more important to get rid of the bad apples, and either retain or bring in people who have a clear vision, and can make good and sound business decisions which are in the best interest of the company (meaning the employees first, then the shareholders).

I think it is more important to get rid of the bad apples, and either retain or bring in people who have a clear vision, and can make good and sound business decisions which are in the best interest of the company (meaning the employees first, then the shareholders).

I agree completely, SS255!

I also believe there is more than one flavor of bad apple, and these are just a few general things to describe each:

1. The Upper Management Variety. No vision. Makes uninformed business decisions. No leadership skills. Is unworthy of the trust of the employees and seems to do nothing to try earn it. Haughty and above the rules. Most have clearly advanced in accordance with the Peter Principle.

2. The Middle Management Variety. Started out with good intentions, but quickly flamed out. Is afraid to question decisions from above or present new ideas. Regrets being promoted. Is too busy engaging in CYA and looking for a new job before he/she gets fired to manage people and processes. Simply attempts to control chaos and put out fires rather than taking action to create a smooth operation.

3. The Worker Variety. Feels entitled to a job. Hides behind organized labor and knows he/she is more difficult to fire because of union. Seeks ways to do less rather than possessing eagerness to excel. Automatically looks for bad in everything. Takes out job dissatisfaction on the customer.

Unfortunately, the only one of these apple flavors that is easily culled is flavor #2. What needs to happen is a good pruning at all three levels.

Getting rid of #1 requires the haughty to admit their own faults. Not going to happen.
Getting rid of #3 requires the selection criterion to be job performance/merit, not union seniority. Not going to happen.