Delta Abandon's Msy

skyflyr69

Senior
Dec 11, 2002
Todays WSJ/ and on-line WSJ : Airlines became lifeboats as Katrina bore down on MSY. But as competitors brought in extra planes Delta was pulling their planes out stranding passengers.
the GOV is livid.

Maybe the GOV should give preferred treatment to other airlines and kick out Delta.
But then again , when Delta liquidates that point will be moot!!!!!!!!!

:eek:

skyflyr69 said:
Todays WSJ/ and on-line WSJ : Airlines became lifeboats as Katrina bore down on MSY. But as competitors brought in extra planes Delta was pulling their planes out stranding passengers.
the GOV is livid.

Maybe the GOV should give preferred treatment to other airlines and kick out Delta.
But then again , when Delta liquidates that point will be moot!!!!!!!!!

:eek:
[post="295840"][/post]​

The Government has to blame someone for the chaos .. Might as well be DL.

Afterall FEMA has done such a GREAT JOB!

Atlanta-based Delta Air Lines Inc., the nation's No. 3 carrier, on Thursday sent plywood, tarps, water, generators and other goods on a donated flight to New Orleans. The plane was flown by two of the company's vice presidents, and chief executive Gerald Grinstein was on board. When they arrived, they were so overwhelmed by the refugees' pleas for help that they returned to Atlanta with 140 on board.

FA Mikey said:
When they arrived, they were so overwhelmed by the refugees' pleas for help that they returned to Atlanta with 140 on board.
[post="295978"][/post]​

No mention of f/as being on board. Wonder if the FAA will fine them for transporting passengers without minimum crew on board? :eek:

i work for usairways and i need to defend dl on this one. they have sent a bunch of 757's to msy and other locations hit by the hurricane as releif flts. as well as amr,jetblue,us,sw,hp,alaska,airtran,ual,republic,and a whole bunch of charter airlines from today through the weekend. i myself have volunteered to work a releif flt to msy. so i want to commend every airline for doing this . now is not the time to be competitors. now is the time to come together and help these people.

I have learned that Delta has 30 charter flights from FEMA scheduled from MSY to San Antonio over the next 3 days yet they haven't put out a press release about it. The press releases I have seen have talked about one flight or two by a carrier but no one has said they are operating that many flights. Perhaps all carriers are operating more charters than they are saying.

There will be alot of finger pointing about what went wrong in all aspects of New Orleans. Somehow DL's decision to stop service before the storm seems pretty rational in light of how badly things have run since the storm.

Let's also remember that all those people wouldn't be there if the state and local government had provided transportation to all of the evacuees before the storm hit and when they still had plenty of their own resources available. And they wouldn't have had to be bussed as far away as Houston and San Antonio since Baton Rouge has somehow managed to accommodate hundreds of thousands of people There are many, many people stuck in N.O. now that couldn't have bought a ticket if DL had flown through the entire storm.

WorldTraveler said:
I have learned that Delta has 30 charter flights from FEMA scheduled from MSY to San Antonio over the next 3 days yet they haven't put out a press release about it. The press releases I have seen have talked about one flight or two by a carrier but no one has said they are operating that many flights. Perhaps all carriers are operating more charters than they are saying.

There will be alot of finger pointing about what went wrong in all aspects of New Orleans. Somehow DL's decision to stop service before the storm seems pretty rational in light of how badly things have run since the storm.

Let's also remember that all those people wouldn't be there if the state and local government had provided transportation to all of the evacuees before the storm hit and when they still had plenty of their own resources available. And they wouldn't have had to be bussed as far away as Houston and San Antonio since Baton Rouge has somehow managed to accommodate hundreds of thousands of people There are many, many people stuck in N.O. now that couldn't have bought a ticket if DL had flown through the entire storm.
[post="296053"][/post]​

8 to MSY w/757's
3 to BTR w/757's
1 from ATL-MSY w/757

and that is just today...

WorldTraveler said:
[post="296053"][/post]​

My hat is off to Delta and the other airlines doing these flights. I think Delta and the other carriers that have chosen to do this good work and not make a media spectacle out of it deserve an extra pat on the back. Bravo!

Maybe I'm wrong, but "Charter flights for FEMA" infers the flights are being paid for by the government. Hard to congratulate Delta for doing flying that they're being paid for, but I'm sure almost all the airlines are doing some degree of charitable flying, including Delta.

Cfm56 said:
Maybe I'm wrong, but "Charter flights for FEMA" infers the flights are being paid for by the government. Hard to congratulate Delta for doing flying that they're being paid for, but I'm sure almost all the airlines are doing some degree of charitable flying, including Delta.
[post="296307"][/post]​

FEMA has 'told' the airlines that they will allot a certain # of aircraft for evacuation & cargo flights.. All of the majors are chipping in..

From the #'s I've heard what FEMA is paying per flight is barley breaking even, if at all..

I heard that there were close to 10,000 people airlifted out yesterday alone..

Let's not short Delta here. The airline's roots are in the Mississippi delta. No matter how bad things get for Delta, the airline will always somehow help.

And never forget what C.E. Woolman said: " All airlines are alike. It is the people that makes the difference.

RDU Jetblast said:
Let's not short Delta here. The airline's roots are in the Mississippi delta. No matter how bad things get for Delta, the airline will always somehow help.

And never forget what C.E. Woolman said: " All airlines are alike. It is the people that makes the difference.
[post="296612"][/post]​

WSJ should be ashamed!!!!!!!!!! my apologies.

:(

Latest posts

Back