Delta Air Lines caught by renewable fuels mandate

Status
Not open for further replies.

700UW

Corn Field
Nov 11, 2003
NC
Well more bad news for DL and Trainer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/business/eagle-ford-energy/article/Delta-Air-Lines-caught-by-renewable-fuels-mandate-5097109.php

But the acquisition came with a whole lot more baggage, putting the airline and its new refining subsidiary, Monroe Energy, on the hook to comply with federal mandates to blend more renewable fuel into the nation's gasoline supply.

Biofuel boosters say that's a situation of Delta's own making.
At issue is the 8-year-old renewable fuel standard that forces U.S. refiners to incorporate an annually increasing amount of biofuels into the nation's diesel and gasoline supply, up to 36 billion gallons by 2022. Monroe Energy's challenge of the EPA's specific quotas for 2013 before the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals could help dictate the agency's handling of the mandate and spur lawmakers to make bigger changes.

Reactions: 2 people
He will say its unfair and that is why DL is suing, lol!

But meanwhile all refineries have to adhere to the regulations.

Reactions: 5 people
Actually, my question to you two would be to ask why AA and US bothered to fight the DOJ, was it really worth it, and when the strategic benefits of the merger will be achieved – and why they haven’t been achieved yet?

From the beginning of the whole DL refinery discussion, there have been analysts and participants of this forum that expected that DL would immediately achieve all of the benefits of the refinery strategy, that there would be no obstacles they would have to overcome, and that DL alone would achieve all of the benefits.
Just as with the AA-US merger, THERE ARE huge obstacles that have to be overcome in order to achieve all of DL’s strategic objectives with the refinery and it will take time to achieve all of the benefits. If it was an easy process, everyone would have done it already, right? Good things in life require work and creativity to overcome obstacles.

The issue of renewable identification numbers is not new and came up within the first six months or so of operating the refinery. It is possible that DL knew nothing about the issue when they bought the refinery but it is also possible that they recognized it was a refinery industry issue and that they could still achieve their objectives even if they had to comply with the renewable fuel regulations.

Since AA-US have decided they can still achieve their strategic objectives with the merger even if they have to divest more slots and gates than any other US airline merger has ever faced, I’m not sure why DL should not be able to achieve its strategic objectives with the refinery even with the current regulatory environment.
Given that there is broad opposition to the same legislation from others in the oil industry, even if the effect on DL is uniquely different, the rest of the industry will either have to comply which will mean increased costs for other refiners which ultimately affects the prices of petroleum products. But is very possible – just as AA-US did with the merger – that DL recognizes it is worth suing the government – the part of the story that is new – based on DL’s unique circumstances (remember that we heard the argument that DL, UA, and WN all got their mergers approved so why should AA-US be excluded) to push thru changes that do allow Trainer to be treated differently than other refiners such as Valero, who is also impacted heavily even though they sell refined petroleum products at the consumer and industrial level, something DL does not do.

DL might not achieve all it wants by suing but given there are other lawsuits in process which DL is joining, the chances are high that there will either be revisions to the laws or there will be others who will be more impacted than DL, with the consumer paying the price, including DL’s peers who also buy jet fuel from refineries that have to comply with the regulations.

Further, few here want to acknowledge that DL has already cut its fuel expenses by hundreds of millions of dollars because of a greatly reduced jet fuel crack spread. Some may argue that DL had nothing to do with it but even a rudimentary knowledge of supply and demand shows that DL has put huge amounts of jet fuel on the market and the US is now in the position of exporting jet fuel for the first time in years even while the jet fuel crack spread is lower than it has been for a long time, which has helped DL’s profitability in the midst of a strong airline pricing environment. If supply and demand principles continue, the supply of jet fuel in the US very well might be reduced while DL will be in a position of controlling a significant portion of its own jet fuel needs and gain the strategic advantage relative to its peers which it has not yet achieved. The refinery story is far from finished.

As for the “almighty DL”, robbed, whether DL is almighty or not, DL has succeeded as well as it has since emerging from BK because they have fully recognized what they have needed to do strategically and have executed against those needs nearly flawlessly including merging with NW and reaping the benefits from the merger, reworking DL’s operational performance to be top-tier, and expanding and succeeding in key industry markets including those where other carriers are strong.

Maybe the refinery will prove to be a nut that is too difficult for DL to crack but their track record over the past 7 years or so shows that they know what they have to do to succeed at each of their strategic objectives and manage to execute against those plans.

The AA/US merger has NOTHING to do with this topic.

Congrats once again for derailing another thread.

Reactions: 4 people
There is a bill in congress to modify the alternative fuel mandate . Trainer is for jet fuel everything else is a sideline. Besides if they make a profit of 2 bil profit I will not care. Only the DL haters will.

Reactions: 1 person
until that bill actually does pass congress and becomes law  i do believe the airline and the oil refinery have to comply with fed regulations and epa regs too.    dl could have brought that package and may be they would not be in the boat theyre in with the legal issues.   they more than likely knew what comes with buying it.  

wt  wtf does the aa us merger have to do with dl and the oil refinery issues????   nada  zilch  nothing

not a dl hater but not every darn thread has to be dl is the almighty best of the best   theres the good the bad and the ugly with every company

Reactions: 1 person
Of course the AA/US merger is relevant or else the endless discussions about every wrinkle the refinery faces have no relevance.

When the refinery issue first came up, there was a chorus of people on this forum as well as analysts who could only understand the refinery deal in an immediate, short-term context when it was clear from DL's purchase that purchasing the refinery was and remains a long-term strategic move that will take time to fully develop just as any merger will.

It isn't about haters, meto, it is about those who can't think bigger or more strategically than the snippets and headlines they read.

It once again is precisely because DL is thinking long-term and strategically that they are winning in an industry that is and continues to be highly reactionary and short-term focused.

And, yes, the mere fact that rewrites of legislation that the vast majority of airline personnel don't even begin to understand (me included) will have an impact on DL is precisely why the refinery deal is beyond the ability of most airline personnel to intelligently talk about. DL, with the help of people who have experience in the refining and petroleum industries, is doing things that go far beyond what airlines have worried about in the past.

Even with the alternative fuel mandate, DL has said that Trainer will be profitable on a standalone basis in 2014 - not to speak of the far more difficult to quantify reductions in jet fuel prices.

Reactions: 3 people
IT has nothing to do with the thread, nothing.

Its about Trainer and the regulations they have to follow.

There is NOTHING in the article that is the topic of the thread about US, AA UA nor WN.

Hard to comprehend that Delta might have made a mistake so you have to deflect instead!

what IT is about is your continuous attempts to find SOMETHING which you can use to throw against DL and this is yet one more subject where you have no idea of the issues involved and you can't comprehend that the discussion is beyond the simple headlines that you read.

You really have no idea what rules DL has to follow because you don't begin to understand the laws involved. Neither do I.

Again, given that DL has already pushed down jet fuel prices by hundreds of millions of dollars more than the cost of the refinery, losses so far, and modifications to the plant, then it is hard to call it a mistake, even if that is what you so desperately want to do.

Since you can't understand the strategic nature of the way the industry operates and can only focus on the sensational headlines and data points, then you shouldn't be surprised when every hiccup that the AA/US merger will undoubtedly face is turned into a thread about the failure of the merger.

That is EXACTLY the parallel that is involved whether you have the ability to understand it as such or not.

I would dare say that DL's ability to make Trainer work is a whole lot easier task than new AA has in making its merger work, including dealing with a mountain of labor and competitive issues.

Even if scornfully said, robbed knows full well that DL is in the position it is in today - to the benefit of their employees such as meto - because DL has very carefully thought thru what they have to do to succeed in the industry and they have consistently executed brilliantly against the list of things they must do.

Its a news article, posted on and by a newspaper, not me.

Why dont you write the newspaper and complain, they reported it, not I.

God forbid someone writes an article pointing out an issue and you blow a gasket.

Once again, this is about the problem Trainer is facing due to Federal regulations, not US, not AA nor not about me.

Reactions: 4 people
I'm not blowing ANY gaskets about anything.

I am saying that you are doing the same thing you have done for years which is look for any reason to criticize DL - undoubtedly in return for the fact that I have very accurately criticized major strategic moves by both US and AA for years.

What I have said about AA and US has been proven to be true over a period of years, in some cases decades.

You want to pick up a story that is fresh off the press and turn it into a major strategic failure.

And again you really have no idea what the implications are for DL or other refiners in this legislation - and meto has already said that there are legislation changes coming that will likely change the outcome in this situation.

Unless you want me to latch on to the blow by blow details of everything that AA does and extrapolate into one strategic failure after another, then have the humility to recognize the Trainer refinery is a subject about which most of us know very little and DL is working thru strategic issues which will take years to resolve.

Again, if it were easy for an airline to buy a refinery and make money, other carriers would have done it a long time ago.

DL may or may not achieve all of what it set out to do. But I am certain that picking out a few headlines from the popular press isn't going to change the outcome of the refinery and its success one iota.

i know that dl is in the position theyre in bec of the fact they merged w nwa and then they brought that oil refinery..  but this thread is about the trainer and the federal regulations  and when delta brought it they should have known about what had to be done  and they failed to do that and now theres going to be a legal issue involved now. 

You must have another article that you are reading. No where in the referenced article does it state that DL was surprised or unaware of the law. It does state that a choice was made NOT to buy the infrastructure for blending just like some other refineries.i'm sure that DL will find a way around this ... They have proved to be pretty sharp so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.