Delta Exec Says Airline Losing $5M a Day (AP)

Frankly, I think the airline industry has shot itself in the foot by regularly offering artificially low fares. The public has been trained to think that $99 to fly across country is what it should cost.

The public also knows that if they wait, they can find those good-o-rooney $99 fares, or less. And they can wait. Our bread and butter customers, the business travelers, usually can't plan their schedules around air fares.

I don't have any solutions, I suppose. Just a lamentation.

What really worries me most of all is that eventually safety will be compromised. I think that health is already being compromised by every airline as it crams the seats closer together. DVT (deep vein thrombosis) is real and more people are being affected by it.

I have to worry that less-qualified people will be the bench mark. The medical field is already feeling the strains as fewer folks are interested in taking on the huge responsibility for human life for considerably lower pay.

I guess the answer for anyone looking for a financially rewarding position to become a bean counter.

Dea :ph34r:

Frankly, I think the airline industry has shot itself in the foot by regularly offering artificially low fares. The public has been trained to think that $99 to fly across country is what it should cost.

The public also knows that if they wait, they can find those good-o-rooney $99 fares, or less. And they can wait. Our bread and butter customers, the business travelers, usually can't plan their schedules around air fares.

I don't have any solutions, I suppose. Just a lamentation.

What really worries me most of all is that eventually safety will be compromised. I think that health is already being compromised by every airline as it crams the seats closer together. DVT (deep vein thrombosis) is real and more people are being affected by it.

I have to worry that less-qualified people will be the bench mark. The medical field is already feeling the strains as fewer folks are interested in taking on the huge responsibility for human life for considerably lower pay.

I guess the answer for anyone looking for a financially rewarding position to become a bean counter.

Dea :ph34r:
<_< Or CEO of a Bankrupt Airline!!!!! :shock:

has a nice ring to it, MCI but in reality DL's Grinstein makes barely more than his pilots. NW's execs are not as generously paid as what was seen at UA and US. I guess the world is moving forward. At least execs of bankrupt airlines now know they can't get by with huge salaries.

has a nice ring to it, MCI but in reality DL's Grinstein makes barely more than his pilots. NW's execs are not as generously paid as what was seen at UA and US. I guess the world is moving forward. At least execs of bankrupt airlines now know they can't get by with huge salaries.

I hope no one is under any illusion that Grinstein and the boys (and his counterparts at UAL, NWA, and DAL if they exit bakruptcy) only pull down a salary comparable to a DAL pilot's salary. Sure, you'll be able to pull the '05 annual report and see these guys "only" pulled in a few hundred grand for a salary. But, IF DAL exits bankruptcy, Grinstein and the boys will be HANDSOMELY compensated for their "trouble." If you're a member of "the good 'ole boy's club" you'll do just fine at DAL, especially if they exit successfully. Wait until the UAL employees see what Tilton and the boys get next February.....Then wait and see what the good 'ole boys get at DAL and NWA if they exit. The employees get large pay cuts and PBGC guarantees and the big boys in the corner offices get a nice, big piece of the reorganized company.

Latest posts