Delta CFO Touts $3B Turnaround Plan (AP)

Further, FAA's free flight project is supposed to counter many of the bottlenecks in the airspace system that are induced by slow moving/ mismatched performance aircraft. And there really are only a few airports in the entire US where delays are a chronic problem and yet customers are willing to accept the lack of reliability in the system as a necessary part of living/doing business in those communities. I'd also venture to say I can put up with the inadequacies in the airspace system far better than I can put up with them on America's roads; at least there is some level of competence required to operated an aircraft.

WT,

Overall I tend to agree with much of your post. However, what many of us (pilots at least) are very concerned about is the lack of infrastructure improvements within the U.S. airspace system going forward, not to mention how far behind the FAA is on upgrading their ATC system. Combine that with the huge anticipated growth in passenger travel forecast by both the major aircraft manufacturers and the FAA and you'll find out that what you deem "inadequacies" today will be unacceptable in 5-10 years if my former points are not addressed and soon.

Therefore, one method addressing these problems is by introducing some form of restriction on access to major hubs at peak periods. Think of it sort of like limiting access to the freeway to bikes and vehicles that can't do at least 55 mph. Just common sense if you have limited concrete on which to move aircraft. (Think of it, how many RJ's do you see taxiing around LHR?) What this will do is possibly make secondary and terciary airports more competitive. Just a few thoughts on another view of the problem going forward.

Cheers,
Z B)

I agree, Z. It is deplorable that we are contracting with the Canadians to upgrade our aviation system even though they have yet to put a man on the moon but we have. and that doesn't mean the Canadians are perfectly capable but that we have not taken care of our priorities.

I don't disagree with the concept of peak hour or ineffienct usage pricing; however, some of the proponents here put forth ideas that would actually put a competitor above them. Far too often, the airline industry has developed an idea and enacted it without thinking through all of the consequences. And the argument could also turn that the A380 is such a hog of airspace resources that it should pay heavy penalties. See, you have to be careful. Even though the beast can carry hundreds more people than other airplanes, it could easily aggravate congestion at the busiest airports that can least afford any wrinkles - like LAX.