Delta exits SEA-HND

Status
Not open for further replies.

commavia

Veteran
Aug 14, 2004
After all that happened, Delta has decided to exit SEA-HND.  This means AA will get LAX-HND (likely in place of LAX-NRT), and I also wouldn't be surprised if this led to JAL entering NRT-SEA.

"We have determined that it is not commercially feasible to operate the slots allocated to Delta for Seattle-Haneda service on a consistent daily basis year-round."

http://airlineinfo.com/ostpdf93/786.pdf

I literally cannot wait to see where this thread goes.

Reactions: 3 people
commavia said:
After all that happened, Delta has decided to exit SEA-HND.  This means AA will get LAX-HND (likely in place of LAX-NRT), and I also wouldn't be surprised if this led to JAL entering NRT-SEA.

"We have determined that it is not commercially feasible to operate the slots allocated to Delta for Seattle-Haneda service on a consistent daily basis year-round."

http://airlineinfo.com/ostpdf93/786.pdf

I literally cannot wait to see where this thread goes.

WT will be here after a while  commavia, but first he's probably trying to figure out a way to SPIN the ....near CATASTOPHE......that a DEL-DUH pilot almost caused at MDW a few hours ago.

Plus,....don't think the  DOT will forget....DL.....'stiffing' them on the gift that they  (tried) to hand  DEL-DUH !

AND I'm betting the city of SEA wont either !   (JESUS, for some reason I can't get the saying.....'PERSONA NON GRATA "  out of my noggin' ) !

Reactions: 2 people
It would be fair if AA were held to the same 365 days a year service standard, but I don't think the backup award contained that restriction.

The letter from the DL lawyer sounds like genuine contrition.

My guess is that their lawyers banked on the DOT relenting and relaxing the draconian restrictions, and they were proven wrong. At some point, the bean counters are going to win by arguing "How many tens of millions of dollars are we prepared to lose on the only seasonal USA-Japan route just to keep it away from AA?"

AA at LAX just got stronger. HND by October 1 and SYD in December.

FWAAA said:
It would be fair if AA were held to the same 365 days a year service standard, but I don't think the backup award contained that restriction.

It does not, nor would it be fair because:

1) Delta's restriction was in punishment for it's abuse of the slot.
2) If AA is held to that restriction on LAXHND, then why should DL not be, too? 

Reactions: 2 people
Three days after the order is finalized, they decide to cry "Uncle" instead of during the comment period?

capture__200123.jpg

I'm glad to see they came to a logical conclusion, but they could have saved themselves a fairly damning final order if they would have bowed out a week earlier.

And yes, the DOT's order amounts to a shellacking, in that they take DL to task for just about every argument they made... DOT Final Order

This effectively gives AA a little over three months to start up the route, as opposed to the 60 days they were ready to act on. Dumping it on them in October is a parting blow, perhaps, but AA does have the ability to exercise dormancy if they wanted to.

MAH4546 said:
It does not, nor would it be fair because:

1) Delta's restriction was in punishment for it's abuse of the slot.
2) If AA is held to that restriction on LAXHND, then why should DL not be, too?
Good points - you convinced me. :)

Reactions: 1 person
commavia said:
The silence is deafening.
He's still waiting for Richard to return his phone call and get some talking points.

It's still only 0745 in ATL. Give it a couple hours. This one might require a conference call and some Powerpoint slides to explain.

Reactions: 4 people
As hard as it is for some of you to admit, DL played by the rules BOTH TIMES this route was awarded at SEA as well as from DTW and made the commercially driven decision to exit the market, not because AA tried to take the route or because the DOT told DL what it could or couldn't do.

Even since this route case started, the yen has weakened against the dollar and it is 20% lower than a year ago.

DL recognized that it would have to discount heavily in order to fill seats in the winter and it simply was not wlling to do so.

as much as some people think airlines are run from an emotional viewpoint of "my hardware is larger than yours" AA and DL are both well aware that profits are what airlines have to achieve.

That is also why it is very likely that AA will drop LAX-NRT as it originally planned to do and why so much of the growth that people here have crowed about for AA from LAX is just swapping one route for another.

I expect this will be yet another.

DL may well upgrade its own LAX-HND service to a larger aircraft such as the 333 as well.

and it was indeed dreams, now wasn't it?

If you worked half as hard at trying to understand the issues as holding grudges against me, you might actually contribute to the forum.

DL decided the route was not commercially viable on a year round basis.

DL played by the rules = contrary to what some here tried to argue otherwise - and made its own decision.

AA now has to start LAX-HND in the winter against DL and NH where both have had a significant premium to AA on SEA-NRT esrvice, which AA has indicated they would drop.

It's a marathon, not a sprint.

This is the Whole Truth!

WorldTraveler said:
it is only in your dreams that DL will walk away from the route.
Amazing how you're now spinning.

WorldTraveler said:
DL decided the route was not commercially viable on a year round basis.
But then again, knowing you I don't think anybody is surprised by your lies, World Fraudster.

resized_the-most-interesting-man-in-the-world-meme-generator-i-don-t-always-contradict-myself-but-when-i-do-i-don-t-bba496.jpg

Reactions: 4 people
you prove again that you don't have to contribute in the discussion but are merely interested in trying to defame someone else.

You and no one else should be surprised that I dominate this board and will continue to do so as long as you and others want to turn it into a personal attack forum.

I discuss the issues. You choose to turn it into a personal pis809ng match.

DL did NOT walk away from the route during the route case.

They decided AFTER the DOT affirmed that DL had the right to continue to operate the route that it is not commercially viable for DL to do so on a year round basis.

DL left the route based on commercially viable reasons and doesn't view operating its network as a personal vendetta as some here think route planning is.

Let's see the rest of the fallout from this announcement including what DL does with LAX-HND for an aircraft and if AA continues to serve LAX-NRT.

and more significantly if AA ever comes close to matching DL's average fares in the Tokyo market where the two directly compete.

Status
Not open for further replies.