Delta Expected To File Chapter 11 This Week

200.jpgOh boy....hang on!!

Routes to London and Tokyo are not open to any competitor, with or without a hub. It is because those routes are limited access that they have value; it is also the reason why Delta's routes to Germany have not been pledged as collateral since any US carrier that is fit and able can begin service to any city in Germany at any time.

Almost correct. If London is so difficult to get authority to, then why are two startup carriers launching JFK-STN in the next couple months? London as a destination really is available to anyone who wants to fly it -- it's just that the arrival airport in London is restricted by the bilateral.

I don't think there are restrictions on LGW, although I may be wrong on that given they're pretty much at capacity, but as far as I know there was nothing aside from the marketing agreement with VS which prevented DL from flying JFK-LGW. It's an approved city pair that AA, BA, and historically, Laker, have flown at different times.

One thing is certain --- with UA, NW, and DL in bankruptcy, it will be interesting to see who really steps up to the plate to do exit financing. Airbus is already involved with US's recovery, although I'd expect them to be involved with NWA's exit. What I don't see is Boeing stepping up to the plate with DL, nor do I expect GE covering their bets anymore than they already have.

Back