Delta Flight Museum

Kev3188 said:
If we're talking about the paint scheme below, I'm with ya. Same goes for your feelings on the Ron Allen or "DeltaFlot" liveries.

We'll have to respectfully disagree (for obvious reasons), but that's okay.

1361211.jpg

Thats it.  It would look great on the 74

robbedagain said:
those were the best colors for delta in my own opin  
Agree

robbedagain said:
that's great pic 700   I remember seeing that plane several times in the past     may be they repainted back so the customers would not get "confused" and may be it helped delta "move forward"
it got repainted then sent to the museum.  

but that was a much different Delta. MUCH different. 

Kev3188 said:
The DL you knew was a slow to react, stodgy carrier, that did things like flying WB's to Florida to chase sh*t yield. The DL I want to keep building is one that continues to reshape the aviation landscape, but also genuinely recognizes that it's people are the ones doing the heavy lifting. Some of those people just happen to come from carriers that make up the DL of today- the one you removed yourself from right before the greatest turnaround the industry has ever seen.

I'm willing to bet most of my peers wouldn't much mind a retro plane at all.

I never said they would. I'm simply stating there' snot only no harm in it, but also a potentially large upside.

...Said the man who's been separated from the carrier for years...

Oh, hello.
I would love to see something like US has. 
but i also want to go back to the widget, not the citco logo. 

700UW said:
That would be a 777 not the 767-200 that wore the Olympic scheme:

2035762.jpg

No, 102 had a C/S for the 1996 games. The T7 was for the winter games in SLC (02?) 

IIRC a 752 also had a Olympic c/s for the SLC games.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Delta-Air-Lines/Boeing-767-232/1648338/&sid=8c970cc31cd94f331ee4e8013da7a597
WorldTraveler said:
.. which is why I don't think it has to do with keeping the brand simple or preserving it.

It, in my honest opinion, means not paying excessive tribute to DL's past because in reality, DL's past includes mergers with a whole lot of other Airlines.

That history has value to DL employees and for aviation fans, but probably doesn't have a place alongside DL's current brand and all DL has built.

Let's be honest and remember that DL's brand past also includes names like Song and Delta Express that DL isn't interested in bringing back to life.

airplanes have to be painted. Its unlikely that the bulk of the carriers that merged into what is now Delta would cost more than just repainting into the burning widget. 
WorldTraveler said:
no Red Tail.

History. Gone. Dead.
So is the real Delta. 

Reactions: 2 people
It would be sweet to see an Air West paint scheme aircraft operating on the west coast, a Northeast heritage scheme out of the NE corridor, C&S out of ORD, etc.

Forget your heritage and history at your own peril. It is the diversity of all employees who have history for other carriers that have given Delta, and other airlines their individual personalities.

This, of course, has nothing to do with the average passenger. Most could not even tell you what kind of aircraft they are on, much less what mix of airlines made up the current brand name.

Reactions: 4 people
No one said that DL doesn't remember all of that stuff internally but they don't necessarily make it part of their public image.  It is precisely because the average consumer doesn't care about what airlines form the present DL or where the aircraft came from that it isn't worth adding something that doesn't offer any real value to anyone other than employees and non-employee enthusiasts who make a fraction of a percent of all passengers - and far less revenue.

You should also know that DL has no fleet type that is "assigned" to any geographic region let alone a hub.  There are some operational decisions such as that the M80s generally fly east of the Rockies for now but there is no fleet type for DL that is restricted to any part of the globe. 

There is a place to celebrate the history of aviation - in museums.  For the same reason, you can walk thru Europe or Asia and celebrate 1000s of years of history that are completely unseen in the marketplace but which are preserved in some of the best museums of the world which tell the story of the progress that has brought us to where we are today.

And when you walk out of the museum and back onto the street, your perspective is richer than those you pass on the street because of the time you spent in the museum.

WorldTraveler said:

You should also know that DL has no fleet type that is "assigned" to any geographic region let alone a hub.  There are some operational decisions such as that the M80s generally fly east of the Rockies for now but there is no fleet type for DL that is restricted to any part of the globe. 

The MD-90s used to be a mainstay of SLC. Now MSP is crawling with 90s and SLC gets Airbuses

...which perfect highlights why DL doesn't enshrine any aircraft to any part of the world and uses them where they make the most sense.

The 763ER isn't generally perceived as a Pacific airplane but DL uses it to serve some developing routes and those where the market is not large to begin with compared to other Pacific markets.  LAX/SEA-HND falls in that category while SEA-PVG started on a 763ER and was quickly upgraded in size to the 332 and will likely keep being upgauged unless DL adds more west coast-China service, and specifically to PVG.  SEA-PVG is well within the range of the higher weight 333s coming next year. 

How do you celebrate history on a route that keeps getting passed back and forth from PMDL to PMNW to a new order DL aircraft?  and that route is hardly an exception.

Glenn Quagmire said:
It would be sweet to see an Air West paint scheme aircraft operating on the west coast, a Northeast heritage scheme out of the NE corridor, C&S out of ORD, etc.
Yes it would. Would probably generate some pretty good PR, too.

Forget your heritage and history at your own peril. It is the diversity of all employees who have history for other carriers that have given Delta, and other airlines their individual personalities.

This, of course, has nothing to do with the average passenger. Most could not even tell you what kind of aircraft they are on, much less what mix of airlines made up the current brand name.
+1

WorldTraveler said:
No one said that DL doesn't remember all of that stuff internally but they don't necessarily make it part of their public image.  It is precisely because the average consumer doesn't care about what airlines form the present DL or where the aircraft came from that it isn't worth adding something that doesn't offer any real value to anyone other than employees and non-employee enthusiasts who make a fraction of a percent of all passengers - and far less revenue.

There is a place to celebrate the history of aviation - in museums.  For the same reason, you can walk thru Europe or Asia and celebrate 1000s of years of history that are completely unseen in the marketplace but which are preserved in some of the best museums of the world which tell the story of the progress that has brought us to where we are today.

And when you walk out of the museum and back onto the street, your perspective is richer than those you pass on the street because of the time you spent in the museum.
It isn't going to hurt revenue to do some retro paint ala US. For the most part the pain cost will be the same, and if done right it will still be clear the the avg joe they are on Delta. Simply do the repaint on aircraft as they come due for a repaint. 

on your bold note, you are right. The 88s generally don't flow west due to the issues the fleet has doing hot airports. (mainly SLC is the problem, and since a good bit of western US is done from SLC.....) 
Also the same will be done for the 717. It will do more flying on the coast the 88s, but even then it will be limited to the point of the flying being covered from ATL and DTW based pilots. 
AdAstraPerAspera said:

The MD-90s used to be a mainstay of SLC. Now MSP is crawling with 90s and SLC gets Airbuses
ATL sees the most M90 flights, and IIRC the most little bus flights. 

WT is right, airplanes are not assigned to cities. The only small issue is where PSVs are done, but both ATL and MSP see enough flow of each type that its not really an issue.