Delta jets may be repossessed

767jetz

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
Article

Looks like Delta is now facing the same fate UA and US did during their restructurings.

Hey Worldtraveler, this can't be good for Delta as they approach the busy summer season, huh? May have to cancel some flights and lose revenue at a time they can least afford to.

Selling assets to raise cash is one thing, but having them repossessed is a bad sign.

767jetz

Article

Looks like Delta is now facing the same fate UA and US did during their restructurings.

Hey Worldtraveler, this can't be good for Delta as they approach the busy summer season, huh? May have to cancel some flights and lose revenue at a time they can least afford to.

Selling assets to raise cash is one thing, but having them repossessed is a bad sign.

767jetz
Good. Take the sorry --- MD90's. It will help simplify our fleet plans. Next... :down:

These bondholders are screwed. There is no market for MD-90 aircraft and DL is on record disputing the claim that these aircraft are not having the maintenance kept up. The airplanes are currently operating out of SLC, and as such, require regularly scheduled maintenance.
As for Aisle and Vike, don't be so quick to dismiss these aircraft. The 90's represent a vast improvement on the 88's. First the aircraft has the additional power to operate out of high density altitude airports like SLC. Second, it offers inflight entertainment with the drop down viewing screens which the 88 lacks. And most importantly, continuing to operate these aircraft will mean more more flight attendants will keep their jobs.
767jetz, how many aircraft did UA and US lose during their BK proceedings? To my knowledge, DL has lost three 767-300's.

They key to the MD-90s is their ability to operate routes from SLC that the MD-80s can't do. This is a real blow to DL's SLC ops if these planes get repo'd.

These bondholders are screwed. There is no market for MD-90 aircraft and DL is on record disputing the claim that these aircraft are not having the maintenance kept up. The airplanes are currently operating out of SLC, and as such, require regularly scheduled maintenance.
As for Aisle and Vike, don't be so quick to dismiss these aircraft. The 90's represent a vast improvement on the 88's. First the aircraft has the additional power to operate out of high density altitude airports like SLC. Second, it offers inflight entertainment with the drop down viewing screens which the 88 lacks. And most importantly, continuing to operate these aircraft will mean more more flight attendants will keep their jobs.
767jetz, how many aircraft did UA and US lose during their BK proceedings? To my knowledge, DL has lost three 767-300's.
I agree Luv, but don't you think this is just Wells Fargo flexing some muscle to show who is the boss? The 90 has very little value in the market today. I do agree it is a vast improvement over the 88. My guess is that they will forge ahead with some kind of deal..

I can tell you at US Airways we were reguired to give back around 65 aircraft to GE leasings in Ch. 11, Part Two in exchange for financing. This was needed to not only exit, but part of the financing of the new US Airways.

Be prepared to lose more than 3 a/c. The nightmare has only started. Good luck. Hang in there.

Be prepared to lose more than 3 a/c. The nightmare has only started. Good luck. Hang in there.

According to DL, the company has sucessfully renegotiated over 90% of its fleet contracts. Exti financing may require something else?

According to DL, the company has sucessfully renegotiated over 90% of its fleet contracts. Exti financing may require something else?

Depends on if your DIP financing comes from a company like GE, that leases tons of a/c. If you guys don't have to give back a/c, you will be lucky. My experience with the US Chapter 11 process is that the DIP'ers are the ones calling the shots. If at the last minute they demand something, it best be done. I can only hope you guys don't go thru the threats we went thru.

...they don't actually need them because of M88 inabilities. They need them because DL's flight ops grp has their head up their proverbial rear. It's pretty well known that DL flies with far more reserves than anyone else. Ever wonder why CO flies trans-Atlantic with the same 757's as Delta, yet Delta can't. Their flight ops team should be fires en masse...

...they don't actually need them because of M88 inabilities. They need them because DL's flight ops grp has their head up their proverbial rear. It's pretty well known that DL flies with far more reserves than anyone else. Ever wonder why CO flies trans-Atlantic with the same 757's as Delta, yet Delta can't. Their flight ops team should be fires en masse...

This post makes no sense. Could you explain?

Repo = poor flight operations = unusable 757's to Europe? Huh?

...it's more a response to luv2fly & Flying Titan who contend the aircraft fulfills a mission that couldn't be fulfilled by M88's which isn't necessarily true if the M88's were flown to their potential. If that were done, the M90's would be purely superfluous. Instead, because of the conservative nature of Delta's flight ops group, the perceived need for the aircraft will most likely remain thus maintaining the aircraft within the fleet and the cost of keeping a 19 aircraft fleet will remain...

hope that makes more sense...

...it's more a response to luv2fly & Flying Titan who contend the aircraft fulfills a mission that couldn't be fulfilled by M88's which isn't necessarily true if the M88's were flown to their potential. If that were done, the M90's would be purely superfluous. Instead, because of the conservative nature of Delta's flight ops group, the perceived need for the aircraft will most likely remain thus maintaining the aircraft within the fleet and the cost of keeping a 19 aircraft fleet will remain...

I see; thanks.

...it's more a response to luv2fly & Flying Titan who contend the aircraft fulfills a mission that couldn't be fulfilled by M88's which isn't necessarily true if the M88's were flown to their potential.

No it doesn't make sense.
I wasn't asserting the 90 is mission specific in most cases, but it is so in this case. The 88 would be severly limited in operations out of a high density altitude airport such as SLC, particularly in the summer time and with the potential for alternate and driftdown alternate fuel requirements. Relative to the 90, the 88 is underpowered and would be subject to more climb weight restrictions out of SLC. We already PO our passengers with our illustirous 50 seat CRJ's that typically carry 40.
These restricitions and susequent loss of revenue would result in less than full utilization , or as you assert "potential", of the 88 fleet.

Their flight ops team should be fires en masse...
Wow, quite a bold statement. Sounds like you have a personal issue.

Back