Delta jets may be repossessed

Bankruptcy is all about everyone flexing their muscles to get what they want. DL had a mild contest of wills over the three 20 year old 763s that did end up getting repo’d but other than that DL has really not been hugely aggressive in trying to force its lessors to take lease rates they don’t want. If fact, DL’s creditors committee threatened to sue DL for accepting renegotiated lease rates on a group of aircraft which the creditors cmte said that DL was paying too high of less rates for. I’m not sure I buy the whole argument about whether DL is doing anything to harm the value of the aircraft – they are either being operated within FAA guidelines and if they aren’t the FAA takes actions, not banks. Perhaps they are coming due for heavy maintenance and DL is not doing it now but “coming due†and “due†are two entirely different things.

The M90s are mission specific but they are also owned and are a small subfleet. DL has enough 738s and 757s in the fleet that could replace the M90s if need be. The MD90 is an improvement (although slight) over the MD80 but you only get one chance to get rid of airplanes you don’t want. DL could very well be trying to dump the MD90s. Further, DL has said they are interested in add’l 757s and M80s, undoubtedly based on the very low rates DL was able to negotiate for its MD80s. I’m sure if they can get more 80s and 57s, the MD90s are gone. Dumping owned aircraft is much harder than leased aircraft but it can be done but I doubt if DL can lease many, if any, aircraft – new or used – while in bankruptcy. They may well gamble on losing the MD90s after the summer and then work on having replacements on line by next summer if the market is still strong.

The reason US had to shed aircraft in order to get exit financing was because US’ turnaround plan was all but certain and GE felt like it was more prudent to reduce their exposure. US was forced to merge in order to exit which will undoubtedly be a very different story from DL. By the way, US’ numbers today show they are putting together a sound turnaround plan but with a lot less capacity. Fare increases across the industry have helped but US is clearly benefiting from pulling down a lot of its own capacity.

Yes, it is widely known that DL is much more conservative with its operational requirements than other airlines but there are indications that is changing. DL recognizes that carrying extra fuel is costly and they are changing… although they may let others blaze the path for them. Diversions are costly, though, esp. when you carry a higher percentage of connecting traffic than other carriers.

As for DL and 757s, DL’s 757s are much older than CO’s, having lower thrust engines and takeoff weights and are not even equipped for over the ocean use. DL also has firmly held to the belief that longhaul flights should be on widebody aircraft and since they have plenty of 767s, that is a principle they can easily keep. I personally would far prefer to fly on a widebody to Europe and there are reports that CO has operational problems using 757s over the Atlantic while DL is able to operate a full flight with enough fuel for a decent hold time plus carry cargo – and passengers aren’t blocked by serving carts for half of the flight.

WT-

A small sub-fleet is a costly sub-fleet. It is that simple.

As for their operation issues...the path has been blazed for years by AA with M80's & CO with the 757's. CO's only issue operationally is the CLE-LGW (if they still run that). The westbound takes a seat hit because of NY airspace traffic. Everyone has to carry extra fuel...DL carries enough to come all the way home. Their 757's could fly across the Atlantic, the studies were presented to ops, but they poo-poo'd the idea and screamed "safety" even though CO manages to land quite safely. Same problem with the M80's...

The purpose for using the 757 on transatlantic flights is to put them on routes where there is little to no cargo demand. So that is a moot point. As for passenger comfort, etc...price will always overcome that. As will service. I (and a lot of passengers according to survey results) would rather get on a CO 757 than a DL 767. Using 767's just because you have them is not good business. If demand only requires a 757, then don't use a 767 because you can...it's going to be a loss.

flyhigh,
interesting that you say that DL ops poo pooed flying 757s across the Atlantic. I would bet part of the issue is that there is a bigger cost to flying 757s over the Atlantic for DL than to convert existing a/c to ETOPS when they have never been flown that way before. Someone can provide details if they have them but I seriously doubt that the FAA will just let you start flying a plane ETOPS if that plane has never been maintained or equipped to those standards before.

Yes, I agree that it makes no sense to fly 767s just because that is what you have. But you don't see DL starting routes to Birmingham, England or Belfast. Instead, DL is using its 767s to start routes largely well beyond the range of a 757 such as to Kiev and Budapest or to cities like Manchester and Shannon/Dublin that can generate signficant passenger volumes. If CO wants to fly 757s across the Atlantic and you have passengers willing to do so, I certainly have no objections. The fact that CO is operating 757s on routes competitive w/ DL 767s doesn't say anything about passenger preference w/o knowing boarding statistics. DL carries far more passengers to Europe where DL only uses 767s but CO uses 757s. You can be assured that shippers don't use CO, though, and my sources tell me that DL does indeed carry 10-15K # of cargo out of Berlin per flight, revenue that CO obviously just walks away from. Telling me there isn't cargo just doesn't wash when I know markets that do have a cargo business.

Also, the operational costs of a transatlantic 757 are not that much lower than a 767.... you have the same pilots that make a small amount less but probably add one more flight attendant in order to carry 40 more seats plus alot of cargo.... that's a pretty good tradeoff.

I had heard there were lav issues w/ CO's 757s along the lines of that CO doesn't fill them w/ water to eliminate weight... if so, you might ask the person on the last couple rows of coach if they think there are no operational issues w/ the 757. I'd also like to see the diversion ratio for CO's 757s vs. their widebodies or DL's widebodies.

The reality is that CO is flying 757s because that is what they had available and they found markets to match. DL has done the same but with bigger 767s.

Back to the original issue, I agree the MD90 is a costly subfleet and I'll bet DL would be happy to get rid of them if they could do so without losing their investment. If they don't, it is an acceptable but far from excellent airplane. Bankruptcy is clearly the time to try and streamline the fleet and if MD80s and 757s can be found to replace the MD90s, I'm rather certain DL will jump on it.

HP just converted some 757s from regular to ETOPS, and they got FAA Approval and they are flying ETOPS from AZ, NV to HI.

Back