Delta pilots file grievance on pilot furloughs

older news: they will lose this one also.
But the senior guys already know that.

The grievance is just window dressing to make the juniors think the senior guys give a flyin' rats-ass about the furlough's effect on the bottom of the seniority list.

In tough economic times furloughs are good for the seniors. Somebody has to be left to fly the airplanes that aren't parked in the desert.

----------------
On 7/13/2003 2:12:07 PM DVT wrote:

older news: they will lose this one also.
But the senior guys already know that.

The grievance is just window dressing to make the juniors think the senior guys give a flyin'' rats-ass about the furlough''s effect on the bottom of the seniority list.

In tough economic times furloughs are good for the seniors. Somebody has to be left to fly the airplanes that aren''t parked in the desert.

----------------​
OK, I''ll bite.
How much would you care to wager on this one. I say they win, but a judgement will not be rendered for at least five months.

----------------
On 7/14/2003 8:13:14 AM michael707767 wrote:

The war is over, and Delta is pretty much back to the prewar schedule.

----------------​

True, except maybe not. D. Rumsfeld on Meet the Press yesterday morning said that while major combat is over, the war is not.

For the record, I would say the last grievance over furloughs was more of a win for the union than a loss. The arbitrator ordered Delta to cease further furloughs, and came up with a method to determine when Delta had to recall. This time it will be even easier to win. The latest furloughs were because of the war. The war is over, and Delta is pretty much back to the prewar schedule.

----------------
On 7/14/2003 6:57:59 AM DVT wrote:

Are you sure? You lost the last time we had this discussion.
When you say "they will win" I assume you mean the DL MEC.

----------------​
I lost originally. I am sure you know, it was won on the second go around, or did you intentionally omit that little tidbit of information?
I mean the Delta pilots will win the greivance. You see, it will take at least six months for the grievance to be heard and a decision rendered. By Deltas own admission, the expected recovery time from the "war effect" was estimated at nine months. It will be very difficult for Delta to assert six months from now that loads are still being suppressed by the effects of the Iraq war.
So what is it DVT? You want to take the bet or not? Only problem is what should we bet?

----------------
On 7/14/2003 8:20:09 AM DLFlyer31 wrote:

True, except maybe not. D. Rumsfeld on Meet the Press yesterday morning said that while major combat is over, the war is not.

----------------​

Ok, I did see that Rumsfeld said that. But, if you want to split hairs about it, a war was never declared. I don''t think the first Gulf War was ever officially declared over, for that matter, I don''t think the Korean War was ever officially ended.

If you want to talk about the furlough in a strict legal sense, it never should have happened as no war was ever declared. However, there was some impact from the "combat" but that impact appears to be over. If it is over, Delta should be calling those pilots back.

Latest posts