Delta testing new products for Sky Club

BABABOOY

Veteran
Jun 15, 2007
http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/traveling-with-us/airports-and-aircraft/delta-sky-club/news-and-updates.html

• More food options, including pancakes and upgraded bagels for breakfast, sandwiches and hot soups mid-day, and hors d'oeuvres, antipasti and dessert choices in the evening
  • Nourishing snack choices, including energy bars, fresh fruit, popcorn, nuts and smoothies
  • Select complimentary services, including shoe shines, manicures and relaxing chair massages — perfect for a busy day of travel
  • In addition, based on your feedback, we will immediately upgrade the current complimentary vodka offered across all Clubs to Finlandia® Vodka.

I received an email about this, it looks like good stuff. Unclear if these new food items will be chargeable or complementary. DL is really stepping up the game if all of this holds, US carrier lounges generally lack substantial food offerings and only offer snacks unlike their foreign counterparts who view lounges as passenger amenity, not a profit center as US carriers do. I've always been of the frame of mind that the lounge is a quiet place to work/relax not to dine, so on the whole I like the changes to guest access. But really the best part is having a familiar face to rebook you during IRROPS. I have gotten to know my local SC staff as well as other airports I frequent.

Kev, one of the complaints many have about the Skyclubs is that they do not permit outside food yet only have junk food snacks on offer. AA clubs in contrast allow outside food and also sell sandwiches, sushi, etc. DL says they conducted surveys and feedback of more substantial food offerings doesn't surprise me. Shoe shine, manicures and massage chairs are a bit surprising but I give them credit for trying.

Josh

Reactions: 1 person
737823 said:
Kev, one of the complaints many have about the Skyclubs is that they do not permit outside food yet only have junk food snacks on offer.
I get that, and in that context, the rest of the foods listed offerings makes sense. That said, I just can't wrap my head around the idea that a Diamond Elite would want to tuck into a nice bowl of Beef Barley (or whatever) mid trip.

I would almost bet you that part of the in-club survey is to determine the willingness to buy these types of food items.

DL has said they intend to increase ancillary revenue. There is nothing that says that food for sale can't also include premium passengers and the preference might be for the service to be on the ground rather than in the air.

As for outside food, there is something to be said for controlling the type of food that other customers have to smell and which end up getting dripped all over the furniture or aircraft furnishings.

soup is something that can be prepared in advance and kept fresh until time to be served. Soup is also an easy hot food to have available without having to heat sandwiches or serve hot dishes.

Soup is a component of DL's onboard service in the premium cabins in certain markets. There was a day when DL served soup on flights from ATL-Florida in COACH. Work those, baba?

I'm sure they've done their homework (and/or are doing it now).

All I'm saying is that *I* can't see soup as something that would have broad appeal to their target demographic...

Kev3188 said:
I get that, and in that context, the rest of the foods listed offerings makes sense. That said, I just can't wrap my head around the idea that a Diamond Elite would want to tuck into a nice bowl of Beef Barley (or whatever) mid trip.
The soup and pancakes are right out of the AS playbook, they offer both of those. The pancake machines are like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oH28OQ0WKE4

But I see what you mean. On my recent visit to the US club in PHL A concourse they also had soup, never seen this at other locations maybe its new.

Josh

WorldTraveler said:
I would almost bet you that part of the in-club survey is to determine the willingness to buy these types of food items.

DL has said they intend to increase ancillary revenue. There is nothing that says that food for sale can't also include premium passengers and the preference might be for the service to be on the ground rather than in the air.

As for outside food, there is something to be said for controlling the type of food that other customers have to smell and which end up getting dripped all over the furniture or aircraft furnishings.

soup is something that can be prepared in advance and kept fresh until time to be served. Soup is also an easy hot food to have available without having to heat sandwiches or serve hot dishes.

Soup is a component of DL's onboard service in the premium cabins in certain markets. There was a day when DL served soup on flights from ATL-Florida in COACH. Work those, baba?
In 2009/2010 when they launched Luxury Bar, we were told the opportunity to purchase premium items was in addition, not in lieu of the complementary offerings. Last year they really cheapened big time down to Gordon's vodka and only Bud and Miller light in the beer department. Not a huge deal to me but apparently DL received many complaints. I wonder how this will turn out, but then again if DL is really wanting to position the brand as a premium travel provider these new amenities will stick. For those who care about meals/snacks DL has much more on complimentary offer than AA, although I prefer the AA facilities and staff to the DL clubs. No problem banning outside food it makes the place smell and people leave containers lying around.

Josh

DL also just tightened up the membership requirements for the SkyClubs. Part of that decision might be to enrich the offerings.

Note also the competitive nature of the markets where these are being tested. ATL and SEA are in but CVG, MSP, and SLC are not.
DFW, LAX, MIA, RDU are in but other cities are not. Could be just a sample but perhaps not.

Kev3188 said:
Soup?

Seems like the last thing our HVC's would be into while in transit, but what do I know?
Believe it or not, soup's one of my preferences when it's available.

It's easily portion controlled to as much or as little as I want, I don't have to worry about people having stuck their fingers into it before I walk up to it, and from a loss standpoint, it's not something people are going to drop into their carry-on to munch on at the hotel or instead of buying food onboard.

I just hope that DL implements the soup better than AA.  Quite often I get it bulk packed in non-oven-ready containers--glass jars for instance.  It is then my responsibility to transfer it to oven-safe bowls in equal portions--no measuring guidelines are provided, of course; I have to eyeball for up to 16 bowls--and heat before serving.  Not fun.  Not easy.  Can be quite messy if turbulence during the heating and/or serving process.

eolesen said:
Believe it or not, soup's one of my preferences when it's available.

It's easily portion controlled to as much or as little as I want, I don't have to worry about people having stuck their fingers into it before I walk up to it, and from a loss standpoint, it's not something people are going to drop into their carry-on to munch on at the hotel or instead of buying food onboard.
Fair enough & good points all, but I just can't see it. To each his own, I suppose, right?

jimntx said:
I just hope that DL implements the soup better than AA.  Quite often I get it bulk packed in non-oven-ready containers--glass jars for instance.  It is then my responsibility to transfer it to oven-safe bowls in equal portions--no measuring guidelines are provided, of course; I have to eyeball for up to 16 bowls--and heat before serving.  Not fun.  Not easy.  Can be quite messy if turbulence during the heating and/or serving process.
I doubt they're doing galley packing for the club, Jim.... it will more likely be 2 gallon vats of self-serve at a standalone warmer.

eolesen said:
I doubt they're doing galley packing for the club, Jim.... it will more likely be 2 gallon vats of self-serve at a standalone warmer.
Just curious-in some countries I have seen lounge catering done Gate Gourmet, LSG, etc and even seen the galley trays and inserts in various lounges before. Of course, the quality carriers (ie Cathay and SWISS) have hotels cater for their lounges.

Josh

Latest posts