Delta to Adjust Service to Smaller, Underperforming Markets

Soooo whats your alternative? Continue to throw money at markets that have dismal load factors?

Let me guess, you would say yes, let the company pi$$ away money on dismal markets in favor of the collective-blah blah blah and force them into bankruptcy (again). Only to to have a BK judge decimate the holy grail union contracts (again) and make people like you throw more pity parties and yelp "How many jobs will this cost"?

Be careful for what you wish for, you may just get it.

Reactions: 8 people
Funny, all I did was post an article and you attack me?

Call DL and ask them if you want answers.

And DL's Pilots are the only union contract on the property.

Your hatred of unions clouds your judgement.

Reactions: 2 people
Funny, all I did was post an article and you attack me?

Call DL and ask them if you want answers.

And DL's Pilots are the only union contract on the property.

Your hatred of unions clouds your judgement.

O thin skinned one, you posted it "How many jobs will this cost?", with thinly veiled tears, now step up and answer it.

What would you do? Whats your savy business idea that would make a better solution? Continue to throw money at markets that don't perform?

Are you just looking for willing participants to a pity party or are you just (poor me) venting again?

Reactions: 5 people
Asking how many jobs will be cut because of their pull down is a legitimate question.

While job losses are of course a concern to many on this board, don't forget to consider impact on the communities. Some are a long drive from another airport. But is anyone really surprised?

Funny that a generation ago, some of these places saw mainline flights with DC-9s and CV-580s. Three Convairs a day to Thief River Falls.

http://www.departedflights.com/RC070179p52.html

Reactions: 1 person
WSJ

Delta said it is losing $14 million a year on the affected routes, with flights on average little over half full and some leaving empty. The load factor on services from Thief River Falls in north-west Minnesota is just 12%, an average of four passengers on each of its twice-daily services.

Reactions: 4 people
These are communities that can barely support a Wal-Mart. People choose to live out there, it isn't the government's job to bring commercial opportunities closer to them.

The only valid place for EAS is geography locked communities in Alaska, where driving simply is not an option.

WSJ

Delta said it is losing $14 million a year on the affected routes, with flights on average little over half full and some leaving empty. The load factor on services from Thief River Falls in north-west Minnesota is just 12%, an average of four passengers on each of its twice-daily services.

Hmmm. Sounds like a good place to go this time year..........

A few thoughts:

A lot of this is also tied to the SF3 retirements. It's a great plane, and is the only one Dl has (had) for these markets. One for one CRJ replacement in these would be fiscal suicide, as we've already seen in a few other markets.

I agree somewhat with E's ideas on EAS. However, some of these places are *not* easily reached by road. Air service can be an economic engine for a city/region, and losing service all together may prove to be a death blow.

AFAIK, none of these are "codeshare-able," except BTM, and I'm not even sure if QX/AS still serve it, so recovering a little revenue and/or network footprint goes out the door there...

2 DL res centers will have *no* air service. Closest for SUX will be 74 miles away in FSD. Closest for the IRC will be DLH, at ~ 100 miles away.

I love this company's penchant for euphemisms. On the employee web site, they're being referred to as "adjustments." Oy...

Reactions: 4 people
I agree somewhat with E's ideas on EAS. However, some of these places are *not* easily reached by road. Air service can be an economic engine for a city/region, and losing service all together may prove to be a death blow.
So you are advocating the company losing money on markets in hope of some fictitious economic gain for said city/region? Let me guess, all for the greater good of the "collective"?

I love this company's penchant for euphemisms. On the employee web site, they're being referred to as "adjustments." Oy...
And haters still like to swim in the hater-aid...right Kev?

Reactions: 6 people
BTW, this article pegs the job loss at ~200.

Also, looks like DL will look for EAS subsidies for:

Sioux City
Waterloo
Escanaba
Pellston
Sault Ste. Marie
Bemidji
Chisholm/Hibbing
Aberdeen
Butte
No worries.... WT will happen along and throw the blame at WN... and I can't for the life of me figure out Miss Negative Deposition! On another thread, WT referred to Gary Kelly's statement about cutting routes.... Well, if they are not making $$$$ ??? Just like here! Kev, I hope you can live through these crazy times... you have always been open and honest!

Reactions: 1 person

Latest posts