Delta's use of temps worries full-timers

It was a stumbled and fumbled success. Easily misunderstood if so inclined.

There are many people at Delta that know how to achieve a planned success, but no one is receptive to their advice. It might bruise egos. Some leave the company, rather than adapt to lower standards.

Keep whistling past the graveyard. With pom-poms. There are better ways to run an airline than inertia and God's will.

Oveur.

So true, and so sad...

Tell me how you think DL should proceed and evolve. I'd be interested to hear your ideas.

I am not sure how they are supposed to win by throwing out what works in favor of something that is new and untried to them - and still involves changing a formula that DOES work for them.
Actually, DL has evolved rather nicely, I must ad. Some fail to realize that everything moves in a circle, and with age comes experience. Delta has been around since the 1920s, not too far from the beginning of the history of aviation. So I'm sure they've been there and done that.

What worked then, works today, you just might have to tweek a few things. Experience is on Delta's side, and it is prepared to meet any challenge.

I actually see it. I also see it prepared to crush any competition that comes its way. By any means. That is actually how corporations have survived for hundreds of years.

New and Untried is probably a lemming solution in the long run.

If you look at it from the other point, people fear the unknown. They also hate change. They also can't see the nature of the business. High today, low tomorrow.

Actually, DL has evolved rather nicely, I must ad. Some fail to realize that everything moves in a circle, and with age comes experience. Delta has been around since the 1920s, not too far from the beginning of the history of aviation. So I'm sure they've been there and done that.

What worked then, works today, you just might have to tweek a few things. Experience is on Delta's side, and it is prepared to meet any challenge.

I actually see it. I also see it prepared to crush any competition that comes its way. By any means. That is actually how corporations have survived for hundreds of years.

New and Untried is probably a lemming solution in the long run.

If you look at it from the other point, people fear the unknown. They also hate change. They also can't see the nature of the business. High today, low tomorrow.

wiki...
Delta's origins can be traced to a decision by B. R. Coad and Collett E. Woolman. Coad was an employee of the U.S. Department of Agriculture's field laboratory in Tallulah, Louisiana; Woolman was with its extension service. They worked on finding a solution to the boll weevil infestation of cotton crops and concluded that the "dusting" of an insecticide powder from the air would be the most effective form of treatment. Born from this decision was Huff Daland Dusters Incorporated, a crop-dusting operation founded on May 30, 1924, in Macon, Georgia, becoming the world's first aerial crop dusting company. The company moved to Monroe, Louisiana, in 1925. Woolman left his position with the extension service and in the off-season traveled with the company to Peru, where he helped to establish crop-dusting and passenger services. With this experience Woolman returned to the United States and in 1928 raised the capital to buy Huff Daland, executing the purchase on September 13, 1928, and renaming the company Delta Air Service, with headquarters in Monroe. The name Delta, referring to the Mississippi Delta, was suggested by Catherine Fitzgerald, a secretary who later would rise to the rank of an executive in the company.[1]
boll weevils was some bad critter, changed cotton industry in Bama to peanuts, Enterprise Bama has a statue of the critter down town. Didn't know it spurned Delta though... :p
:p

yet AMR's 6500 page 1113 filing confirms that DL outsources less of its maintenance than any other carrier except for AA.... AA is at 23%, DL at 35%, UA at 45, US 55, WN 57, and B6 58. (page 344)
Page 215 confirms what I have said multiple times that DL's labor CASM fell less during the decade of the 2000s at 18.5% than did UA or US and below the network carrier average of 21%. AA was at 11.7% which shows AA got about 2/3 of the labor cost cuts that DL got even though DL was in BK.

US only outsources 50% of maintenance.
US is allowed to outsource 50% per union contract but according to last year 2011 US only outsourced 35% of the heavy check and 65% of the work was done in house Ii think thats good considering more work could have been outsourced.

Well AA is wrong, per the IAM/US CBA only 50% of maintenance is allowed to be outsourced, and it is audited monthly.

yet AMR's 6500 page 1113 filing confirms that DL outsources less of its maintenance than any other carrier except for AA.... AA is at 23%, DL at 35%, UA at 45, US 55, WN 57, and B6 58. (page 344)
Page 215 confirms what I have said multiple times that DL's labor CASM fell less during the decade of the 2000s at 18.5% than did UA or US and below the network carrier average of 21%. AA was at 11.7% which shows AA got about 2/3 of the labor cost cuts that DL got even though DL was in BK.

Does Delta consider Delta Global (A lot of Delta retirees) as part of their maintenance or is it considered outsourced/temp. labor??

Hmm.......noticed the only ones making an issue of this are "Former" union members who are wanting another union vote !

If Delta wanted to replace all full time employees with temps, why in the hell would they offer full time jobs to temps ?

http://www.startribune.com/business/140349533.html

"From November 2008 to the end of 2011, more than 2,700 Ready Reserves were hired full time nationwide, Durrant said. Delta hired 52 Ready Reserves into full-time jobs at MSP last year."

You guys still jonesing for a union?
Ah life in a hub city where turn over is high must mean thats how it works system wide. Yeah it doesn't come close. Go outside of MSP and ATL and see just how many people that are RR's are getting moved to Full-time. Its a very very low %. RR program, like DGS, is being abused.

Lost earnings call I believe it was, Anderson or the other one was bragging about how the Ramp is now something like 70% RRs. Like Kev said, thats like 3-4x the number from just a few years ago....this is a problem.

*sigh* Which of those companys are building a place to cover up mismanagement in Mexico? which one of those have changed vendors for HMVs in 5 years something like 3 times? Which one of those does work for other carriers but it cost to much to do the same work on Delta planes? (and its carriers like LAN. Delta can find cheaper work but LAN can't....in friggin South america?) With our cost Delta should be in the 10% range....most of which would be line maintenance. The fact that big things like HMVs and V2500 overhauls are done out of house is ridiculous.

question for AMR employees, Is TESAL its own thing, like DGS, or are they AA employees(on the maintenance seniority list)?

Latest posts

Back