Developer sues AA/CO/UA Boeing

WingNaPrayer

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
EYW
Visit site
NEW YORK (CNN) -- The developer of the World Trade Center in New York is seeking $12.3 billion in damages from the airlines and other companies associated with the September 11 terrorist attacks, his spokesman said Thursday.

Larry Silverstein, president and CEO of Silverstein Properties, has recovered $4.6 billion in insurance payments, spokesman Bud Perrone said.

The additional money is meant to offset the remaining costs of what was lost on September 11.

Perrone was not able to provide a full list of defendants, but the companies named in the suit include American Airlines, United Airlines, Continental Airlines and Boeing.

Also named: MassPort, which manages Logan International Airport in Boston, where the planes that hit the World Trade Center took off.

Most of the money sought in the lawsuit -- $8.4 billion -- would replace the property that was destroyed in the attacks, Perrone said.

The remaining $3.9 billion would pay for lost income and expenses associated with renting the new buildings.

FULL STORY

Good luck on the lawsuit against AA an UA. Not the airlines fault the planes crashed into the WTC. The FAA allowed box cutters onto the aircraft back then. I think this guy is nuts trying to go after the airlines. Why CO????

[quote name='Nor'Easta' post='586598' date='Mar 28 2008, 11:35 AM']Good luck on the lawsuit against AA an UA. Not the airlines fault the planes crashed into the WTC. The FAA allowed box cutters onto the aircraft back then. I think this guy is nuts trying to go after the airlines. Why CO????[/quote]

I'm not really sure what his motivation is to sue Boeing either (other than more $$), since they just built a flying machine. Do the victims of a drunk driver sue the car company?? Might as well throw the manufacturer of the box cutters into the mix as well. I noticed more defendants not listed that I'd be curious about...maybe they are.

[quote name='Nor'Easta' post='586598' date='Mar 28 2008, 05:35 PM']Not the airlines fault the planes crashed into the WTC.[/quote]

I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV, but I think I know what's going on here. A few years ago my flight instructor was seriously injured when the crankshaft failed on the Continental engine in the Piper turbo Arrow he and his student were flying, causing an immediate engine failure at a bad time; not high enough to turn back and too high to land on remaining runway. They went into the trees off the end of the runway and got pretty banged up.

He (or his lawyer) filed suit against the engine manufacturer, Piper, the airport, the FBO that rented the plane, and just about anyone else they could think of. I think that's standard operating procedure in these cases. Sue everyone, then one at a time drop the suits and end up with just one culpable party.

MK

No wonder why insurance rates are so high, all these frivileous lawsuits. What's next, the ATC guys going to get sued? Too many people sitting at home during the day watching , Jerry Springer, Judge Judy, Judge Alex and so forth, watch them commercials they advertise for "Ambulance Chasers". And it puts something into their head. This is worse than the old lady at McDonald's with the Coffee.

All airline employees ought to be joining this suit. 9/11 has cost us pay,pensions,and benefits in the billions of dollars. The airlines hired the lowest bidder "security" firms to check people and bags. We should also sue the government(George W. Bush) :down: for ignoring the threat of Al Queda :down: for almost Nine months in 2001. Ok Garfield spit out the hairballs and give us your opinion on this.

All airline employees ought to be joining this suit. 9/11 has cost us pay,pensions,and benefits in the billions of dollars. The airlines hired the lowest bidder "security" firms to check people and bags. We should also sue the government(George W. Bush) :down: for ignoring the threat of Al Queda :down: for almost Nine months in 2001. Ok Garfield spit out the hairballs and give us your opinion on this.
Might as well sue the entire Clinton administration for being so remiss and lax dealing with Al Queda after the 1993 attacks (and subsequent ones against American interests in the years leading up to GW's inauguration). While you're at it, go for Bush Senior's administration, too, since they invaded Iraq in 1991, which is really what fueled the hatred.....

Might as well sue the entire Clinton administration for being so remiss and lax dealing with Al Queda after the 1993 attacks (and subsequent ones against American interests in the years leading up to GW's inauguration). While you're at it, go for Bush Senior's administration, too, since they invaded Iraq in 1991, which is really what fueled the hatred.....

Don't forget the entire Saudi Government, since the tewwowwists were all Saudis, not Afghani or Iraqi nationals.

The only thing that I recall with complete clarity post-9/11 is that the only ones terrorizing America was the media. They should definitely be litigated down to their last cgi!

CO ?,....................Why CO ?

Federal guidelines(at the time) allowed boxcutters in carry ons !

Not sure about (potential) Liability for BOS/Logan

Sue $$$ the FEDS !

(good luck)

Someone posted on Flyertalk (was it Wing?) that perhaps CO controlled the EWR (or PWM?) checkpoints and is thus connected.

Even though the feds didn't prohibit boxcutters at the time, airlines COULD have banned them.

Still, boxcutters aren't why September 11 happened.

Kirkpatrick nailed it - you sue any possible connected entity 'cause it's really difficult (if not impossible) to add them later (say, after the statute of limitations runs). The plaintiff's lawyer would hate to omit the one defendant that might irrationally agree to settle for large money. Better to name them and let the court excuse them. That way, it's a lot tougher for the plaintiff to sue their own lawyer for the "malpractice" negligence of not suing those defendants in the first place.

Latest posts