DL accepts new HGW 333; Bastian talks Asia partners, strategy

IIRC, DTW-ICN is not daily 744 in the winter.

maybe there is that much charter work to be done?

WorldTraveler said:
IIRC, DTW-ICN is not daily 744 in the winter.

maybe there is that much charter work to be done?
showing daily outside of the normal cancellations around thanksgiving and Christmas/New Year 

DTW-ICN is not operating Tues/Wed westbound

NRT-MNL is a 744 on a daily basis even when DTW-NRT does not operate on a 744.

WorldTraveler said:
DTW-ICN is not operating Tues/Wed westbound

NRT-MNL is a 744 on a daily basis even when DTW-NRT does not operate on a 744.
you are right, i looked at that wrong. 

as for MNL i didn't look at it I just assumed it would do whatever DTW-NRT does. 

Curious how they will get the 744 to NRT those three days.... 

the MNL-NRT aircraft will just turn around and go back to MNL on the days there is no inbound 744. The intra-Asia arrivals into NRT are about 4-5 hours before the intra-Asia departures out of NRT. ie... the eastbound transatlantic bank to the US is made up of intra-Asia arrivals and leaves before the arrivals from the US which continue on to other destinations in Asia.

Wait why would the strongest carrier in the world need any partners in Asia we have read for months how DL rules Asia and how they where already building an AMS hub in PVG with MU

I guess KE is crawling back to DL

Reactions: 1 person
jcw said:
Wait why would the strongest carrier in the world need any partners in Asia we have read for months how DL rules Asia and how they where already building an AMS hub in PVG with MU

FWIW in all honesty it is both carriers coming back to each other. 

KE hasn't been very willing and Delta hasn't been very willing. 

not what you have been reading but I have never said that DL was the strongest carrier in the world or to Asia and I have also never said that DL doesn't need partners.

and dawg, do you have evidence that DL and KE are thawing their relationship?

I absolutely agree that KE is DL's best partner but DL has made it clear that they aren't willing to accept a solution that isn't in both carriers both interests and based on what DL has done in Europe, includes far more than the home country of each carrier.

AA and UA both have multi-country JVs and DL wants to make sure it is given credit for its network outside of the JV - just as JL participates in AA's DFW-China flights.

WorldTraveler said:
not what you have been reading but I have never said that DL was the strongest carrier in the world or to Asia and I have also never said that DL doesn't need partners.

and dawg, do you have evidence that DL and KE are thawing their relationship?

I absolutely agree that KE is DL's best partner but DL has made it clear that they aren't willing to accept a solution that isn't in both carriers both interests and based on what DL has done in Europe, includes far more than the home country of each carrier.

AA and UA both have multi-country JVs and DL wants to make sure it is given credit for its network outside of the JV - just as JL participates in AA's DFW-China flights.
Both carriers say they want a JV, and prefer it to be with each other in like two weeks time? 

They are asking each other on dates via the media. 

where do you get the two weeks time part?

but otherwise, I get that DL and KE are flirting via the media.

but DL is also indicating that absent a hookup, DL is willing to go elsewhere.

WorldTraveler said:
where do you get the two weeks time part?

but otherwise, I get that DL and KE are flirting via the media.

but DL is also indicating that absent a hookup, DL is willing to go elsewhere.
I think it was about two or so weeks ago I saw something on yahoo about some VP at KE talking about a DL JV. 

If and when it happens, we'll see.

KE and Asiana both clearly recognize that their networks are heavily built around carrying connecting traffic to China and if that traffic moves to another carrier including on DL's own metal, KE will be hurt.

further, despite the shrinking Japan market, DL still have a very advantaged position there and KE is far better off helping DL in Japan and piggybacking on DL's strength there than to try to argue about what KE has in the Korea local market which is smaller than what DL has in Japan.

Eventually, KE will work with DL but DL is indeed willing to seek other solutions if KE doesn't play.

and if DL announces LAX or MSP to ICN, that will validate that DL will keep building its own presence in Korea until KE decides to play ball.

topDawg said:
maybe. 

right now its just 4w DTW-NRT-MNL and daily DTW-ICN 
That only means 5 frames so something else will be added or the 744s will be doing a lot of charters. (its also safe to assume 1 will be in a hangar in Asia for some kind of work.)
My guess is there's still plenty of 744-sized charter work left in the near term. Troop movements for one, and football season will be here before we know it...

Kev3188 said:
My guess is there's still plenty of 744-sized charter work left in the near term. Troop movements for one, and football season will be here before we know it...
and they will indeed be spending some time in the hangars again. No overhauls but i imagine at least some low level checks and such.