DL lets minor fly with no ticket alone.

they would lose economically, Kev. Unions cannot expect to successfully negotiate to obtain above average compensation but instead to attain just 'average.' The reason why DL succeeds at convincing its people that representation is not worth it is because DL employees are paid above average.

There is no bad faith or fear as much as you want to believe otherwise. There are basic economic principles involved which you seem to want to pretend can be overcome... and yet DL employees consistently don't agree.

The whole PPT issue is an example... you tried hard to convince us that DL employees really can't turn essentially unused sick time into vacation and yet several DL employees came on here and said that is exactly what the program does and it does work for them. Let's remember that there aren't a whole lot of DL employees on this forum consistently that are not labor advocates. Your statement caused several of them to choose to post to correct your statements.

DL gives its employees as much or more vacation time as other airlines but a whole lot less sick time for the obvious reason that consistently staffing the operation w/o the fear of having to overstaff to cover for significant last minute sick calls is more important than the cost of a relatively few additional vacation days. For the vast majority of employees, they benefit from DL's system because the vast majority of employees use less sick time than the PPT days DL gives them. It's a productivity and efficiency issue and DL has consistently had a more productive workforce than AA and UA.

I didn't vote in any of the merger-related representation elections but DL employees - and a number of PMNW employees based on pure numbers - decided representation wasn't worth it.

And that was before DL's profits have grown in the past few years and with it increased compensation benefits for DL employees. Again, DL's profit sharing for the first 9 months of this year are larger than in the whole of last year. No other US airline is delivering the level of compensation growth that DL employees are receiving right now.

DL employees are benefitting from company being well-run and they are just not going to mess with that to pursue a strategy that could put them at best on par with their peers.

they would lose economically, Kev. Unions cannot expect to successfully negotiate to obtain above average compensation but instead to attain just 'average.' The reason why DL succeeds at convincing its people that representation is not worth it is because DL employees are paid above average.

Again, you are assuming that DL would negotiate in bad faith, and that any talks would be regressive. Why?

The whole PPT issue is an example... you tried hard to convince us that DL employees really can't turn essentially unused sick time into vacation and yet several DL employees came on here and said that is exactly what the program does and it does work for them. Let's remember that there aren't a whole lot of DL employees on this forum consistently that are not labor advocates. Your statement caused several of them to choose to post to correct your statements.

No, I said that the theory espoused was that you can use it for "whatever," but that the theory in use is altogether different. Big difference.

The fact that others had differing experiences from mine (and others I know) simply proves my point that policies are being inconsistently applied across the system.

DL gives its employees as much or more vacation time as other airlines but a whole lot less sick time for the obvious reason that consistently staffing the operation w/o the fear of having to overstaff to cover for significant last minute sick calls is more important than the cost of a relatively few additional vacation days. For the vast majority of employees, they benefit from DL's system because the vast majority of employees use less sick time than the PPT days DL gives them. It's a productivity and efficiency issue and DL has consistently had a more productive workforce than AA and UA.

...And having a CBA alters that how?

I didn't vote in any of the merger-related representation elections but DL employees - and a number of PMNW employees based on pure numbers - decided representation wasn't worth it.

...And you won't vote next time, either.

They may have decided it wasn't worth it last time, but for a company who begged us to "give them a chance," they sure aren't doing a good job of delivering...

DL employees are benefitting from company being well-run and they are just not going to mess with that to pursue a strategy that could put them at best on par with their peers.

See my first comment.

Besides the vaunted "direct relationship" what do you think people would lose?

Are you implying that the company would negotiate in bad faith? That they would somehow "punish" (my term) employees for choosing to be represented?

The truth is, DL is very good at using the Fear of Loss tactic with its employees. It's an almost constant theme in their messaging, and arguably the largest hurdle activists face. The fact that you buy into it several years after leaving the firm is testament to its effectiveness...
Sounds WT and USA320Pilot are buddies, lol!

Hey WT,

Guess you forgot about WN, highest paid in the industry, most consistent and profitable airline, and the highest percentage of unionized employees.

Same way I do; scoot the seat all the way up, and use blocks...
Now THAT is funny!

No, Kev, I am not saying DL would negotiate in bad faith or that there would be a regressive contract. Those are your words.

I am saying and have consistently said that the chances of achieving above average compensation thru the collective bargaining process is highly unlikely unless the company wants to provide that level of pay.

IN WN’s case, they have paid well above average wages because they have also received loyal support from their employees – but that is changing.

DL pilots are paid above average but DL is also pushing efficiency and many DL pilots feel like they are having to work far harder in order to get relatively small wage increases… but overall there is just not evidence that unions can negotiate above average compensation on a sustained basis.
Whether a CBA forces inefficiency or not, the evidence in the US airline industry is that DL is more productive than its network carrier peers.

Voting results in DL’s representation elections have been as high as and in many cases higher than in other union elections in the airline industry. DL employees do know what is at stake.

Back