DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW SKYBUS IS DOING?

Hello Newman

Senior
Aug 23, 2002
[ITA BEEN ABOUT 8 MOS SINCE SKYBUS STARTED UP IN CMH. ANYONE HAVE ANY INFO ON THEM GOOD, BAD OR INDIFFERENT?

They'll last until the money runs out. I give them 6-12 months.

You can't run a Greyhound operation using jets. Looks good on paper but reality sets in sooner or later.

Well, they lost 16M in the 3rd quarter.

Load factor was 79%

Yield was roughly 5.08/mile compared to 12ish on WN.

They've pulled out of BLI, and pared back in a few other cities to focus on destinations east of the Mississippi.

GSO is their latest focus city.

I believe they are either #2 or #3 in pax carried out of CMH.

Well, they lost 16M in the 3rd quarter.

Load factor was 79%

Yield was roughly 5.08/mile compared to 12ish on WN.

They've pulled out of BLI, and pared back in a few other cities to focus on destinations east of the Mississippi.

GSO is their latest focus city.

I believe they are either #2 or #3 in pax carried out of CMH.

THANX FOR THE QUICK RESPONSES!!!!!

The last quarter that Skybus reported they only had 22 million in revenue and lost 16 million that means they would have to earn 38 million just to break even. With the slowest 1st quarter coming up I think it will be awhile before they even come close to a profit .

I know agents in GSO that work at CO and DL, SKYBUS ticket counter is between the two of them. Agents tell me they are constantly asked questions about SKYBUS ( CO agent told me they are never at the TICKET COUNTER) unless a flight is departing. Once they check everyone in they go to the gate. GSO has seen 4-5 carriers try what SKYBUS is attempting and those are all gone or out of business. CO was big as CAL LITE but they have really cut back just flghts to EWR and IAH perhaps CLE. Alliegant (SP?) is also in GSO on the other concourse with LIMITED FLIGHTS 2-3 days per week. Same situation they check in passengers, go to the gate. Several times I have witnessed folks late for the flight, sad to hear the agent tell the passenger, WELL WE CAN PROVIDE YOU SERVICE in TWO DAYS. Nothing else today.

Why is this such a surprise? It's perfectly normal for the agents to be away from the ticket counter (er, TICKET COUNTER) when there isn't a flight departure soon. That happens every day in small airports (SMALL AIRPORTS). Show up late, and there will be no one there to check you in or bring the plane back for you. The size or age of the airline is irrelevant.

SKYBUS probably has the gate agents cleaning the pay toilets between checkin and the gate. BTW, how much does SKYBUS charge you to check-in? How about sitting down in the gate area?

Hopefully this disgrace to the industry soon becomes only a bad memory.

Back