Doug Parker: Expect TSA to Become Carry-On Police

Overall Parker was quite funny and articulate, but on this issue he clearly inferred the airlines are happy to let the TSA be the bad guys. [/i][/url]

Not surprising - the airlines complain about the TSA when they threaten to reduce the number of people flying by their actions, but are more than happy to let the TSA be the bad guys when it helps the airline. Plus, the TSA isn't bashful when it comes to expanding their jurisdiction.

Jim

Reactions: 1 person
Suits me. At AA our carry-on bag policy is one carry-on and one small personal item--a woman's purse counts as her small personal item. Yet, I continually see passengers come down the jetbridge with 3 or more items. Note to gate agents: A shopping bag full of stuff counts as a carry-on. Particularly when the shopping bag is too large to fit under the seat. A "purse" the size of a military duffel is not a small personal item. Note 2 to gate agents: If the passenger has a 22"inch rollerboard, a backpack containing a 6-man tent and a camp stove does NOT qualify as a small personal item. :lol:

The problem is that the TSA doesn't have a carry-on bag policy, nor is oversized baggage a national security issue. Therefore, it is outside the TSA's jurisdiction. The FAA says each airline has to have a carry-on policy, and the airline and its employees must enforce it. But, they in no way specify what the policy should be. Fines have actually been given for failure to enforce the bag policy.

Passing the buck is what makes the airline thrive. Many complain about TSA tactics unless it suits their purpose.

Don't the airlines set their rules for carry-ons? If so, why should it be the TSA's responsibility to police this? Wouldn't we rather have our fine folks at TSA looking for terrorists and weapons, instead of carry-on violators?

Theoretically, you can bring as many bags as you want into the gate area.......as long as when you board the plane they are consolidated into one bag that fits the airline's overhead dimensions and another bag that fits their under-the-seat dimensions. It's the responsibility of the gate agents to ensure that everybody who boards the aircraft complies with the airline's carry-on requirements.

Don't the airlines set their rules for carry-ons?

Yes, within the broad boundaries of the FAA's "everything stowed for takeoff and landing".

If so, why should it be the TSA's responsibility to police this?

Technically it shouldn't. But it also shouldn't be the TSA's responsibility to determine if someone is taking more cash on an international flight than the TSA agent thinks is appropriate and they've done that before.

Jim

The point he made was the number of bags (not size) were the driving force behind the TSA placing tighter restrictions on carry-ons. He mentions that most passengers are slowed down by the bag belt at security, checking bagss, not walking through the magnatometer. I just don't see how a "sizer" relieves this problem.

If you don't allow the oversized and excess bags down the jetway there wouldn't or shouldn't be a problem during boarding. The situation with bags is over the top to say the least but until it's addressed and enforced by the AIRLINE the problem will continue. I believe the sizers should be at the xray machines but a better job needs to be done with forbidding the larger or excess bags down the jetway. It's really that simple. I know agents have more than their hand full but as you beep/scan their boarding pass and you look down simply say, "NO....step aside please" and move along while that passenger does what's needed to adhere to the policy.

The problem is that it Seems the Airlines are allowed making up their rule and then the FAA puts their blessing on it. This is what I think provides for confusion. Regardless of who does the police work it should be ONE consistent rule throughout. I am usually not a fan of one size fits all but in this case it seems appropriate. I don't know how many times I have been in line when the person in front of me says "But Delta lets me bring three bags". I know for a fact that Northwest allowed three bags in First class at one time. Just one consistent rule would fix a lot of the issue! Well, that and the airline not charging for at least checking the first bag.

The problem is that it Seems the Airlines are allowed making up their rule and then the FAA puts their blessing on it. This is what I think provides for confusion. Regardless of who does the police work it should be ONE consistent rule throughout. I am usually not a fan of one size fits all but in this case it seems appropriate. I don't know how many times I have been in line when the person in front of me says "But Delta lets me bring three bags". I know for a fact that Northwest allowed three bags in First class at one time. Just one consistent rule would fix a lot of the issue! Well, that and the airline not charging for at least checking the first bag.

I actually witnessed this on Monday from my seat in row 2 -- a woman tried to board a CO flight with a duffel bag which was almost twice as long as a standard rollaboard. She threw a fit when the FA made her check her bag, because "I'm always allowed to board with this bag." I felt like speaking up and asking her what airlines "always" allow her to carry that bag on board, but she was so volatile that I was afraid to trigger her any more than she was already triggered. I would not have the chutzpah to attempt to bring a bag of that size through security, much less on board. Until the airlines consistently enforce the carry-on rules, passengers are going to continue to feel self-entitled to bring whatever they want on board.

The more items and oversize items the TSA has to deal with, the harder it gets for them and the less effective they become. There's only one way to fix it. The TSA person that matches ID's and boarding pass just before accrual screening has to enforces the carry on baggage policy by sending violators back to their airline ticket counter where the AIRLINE has to deal with it. The AIRLINE still has to deal with it.

It's really that simple. I know agents have more than their hand full but as you beep/scan their boarding pass and you look down simply say, "NO....step aside please" and move along while that passenger does what's needed to adhere to the policy.

What, and get written up for taking a delay, or being "rude"?

Even with the allowed carry-on limit, a full flight, you'll still be checking jetway bags.