Dreamliner update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 7, 2004
Red Planet
Visit site
"Northwest, meanwhile, which is merging with Delta Air Lines, sees the 787 as a cornerstone to its long-haul strategy. The carrier had planned to use its first 787 to support the March 2009 launch of daily nonstop service from Detroit to Shanghai, but earlier this year also hinted at 787 flights to India and possibly Vietnam.

Boeing 747-400s will initially be deployed on the Detroit-Shanghai route instead. Northwest will also "use the opportunity of the [Delta] merger to reallocate the fleet types we have" to provide interim lift until the 787s are delivered, said Deschamps. He noted that the 777 and the 767 - types operated by Delta - are attractive aircraft.

Nonetheless, the merged Northwest/Delta is counting on delivery of 787s within-spec. "I don't think now we see a substitution for the 787 [with respect to] the range and efficiency. Right now, that aircraft remains the only aircraft for what we want to do," said Deschamps.

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2008/...ithin-spec.html

"Northwest, meanwhile, which is merging with Delta Air Lines, sees the 787 as a cornerstone to its long-haul strategy. The carrier had planned to use its first 787 to support the March 2009 launch of daily nonstop service from Detroit to Shanghai, but earlier this year also hinted at 787 flights to India and possibly Vietnam.

Boeing 747-400s will initially be deployed on the Detroit-Shanghai route instead. Northwest will also "use the opportunity of the [Delta] merger to reallocate the fleet types we have" to provide interim lift until the 787s are delivered, said Deschamps. He noted that the 777 and the 767 - types operated by Delta - are attractive aircraft.

Nonetheless, the merged Northwest/Delta is counting on delivery of 787s within-spec. "I don't think now we see a substitution for the 787 [with respect to] the range and efficiency. Right now, that aircraft remains the only aircraft for what we want to do," said Deschamps.

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2008/...ithin-spec.html
Hope the 787 is delivered in NWA livery. MUCH MUCH nicer, worldly then the DAL paint scheme/ terminals and interiors.. DL needs to overall their NEW look. Just flew them recently and well it's a mish-mosh of colors and schemes. I will miss NWA- great 'ol airline. Best of luck to ya'all at Delta.

Hope the 787 is delivered in NWA livery. MUCH MUCH nicer, worldly then the DAL paint scheme/ terminals and interiors.. DL needs to overall their NEW look. Just flew them recently and well it's a mish-mosh of colors and schemes. I will miss NWA- great 'ol airline. Best of luck to ya'all at Delta.

It would be stupid :blink: to deliver the dreamliner in NW colors and then have to repaint them in the DL livery, that would be a waste of time and money. Incidentally, the new DL livery is fine with me, looks clean, modern and will look great on all the new airplanes..including the 747-400! :up: Thanks for your input Y"ALL

I prefer the NW pearl color to the plain white (Delta used to have the sharp x Pan Am cheat line underneath which was very nice....but the "tilting of the Widget into a NW compass" is not so bad. Too bad they don't keep the NW pearl with Delta in black. JMHO

When they came out with this... http://www.travelskills.com/tktarchive/2007/apr.htm I KNEW instantly what was up.

IF...the merger goes through, the 787's will arrive in New Delta colors.

I prefer the NW pearl color to the plain white (Delta used to have the sharp x Pan Am cheat line underneath which was very nice....but the "tilting of the Widget into a NW compass" is not so bad. Too bad they don't keep the NW pearl with Delta in black. JMHO

North,
I absolutely agree!

The current color on the NW fuselage works well because it incorporates the logos and colors integrating them smoothly.
While the white fuselage also works well, the color white has a tendency to darken colors surrounding the logos and co-existing colors that may be present. From the eye perspective white will make a very bold statement(regarding other associated colors present surrounding the white) while the pearl will have a more calming incorporated effect..pulling all the colors together evenly (interesting enough lighter shades of gray tones make people feel safe).

I particularly like the font the "New Delta" chose for lettering.

Yes the NW pearl would also look great! Maybe they'll keep both? Eastern Airlines had both white and bare metal jets sporting the two tone hockey logo for many years ..so why not?

We had one of those 'come to Jesus meetings' a couple of weeks ago. We were told the 787 will be delivered in DL colors, IF we elect to take it. Yes DL is thinking about dumping it for a mix of 777 and 767.

We had one of those 'come to Jesus meetings' a couple of weeks ago. We were told the 787 will be delivered in DL colors, IF we elect to take it. Yes DL is thinking about dumping it for a mix of 777 and 767.

DallMD

that's not what VP of ops stated (see Dreamliner undate on NW board). (777/767-400 might be used as a stop gap) UNTIL the Dreamliners arrive. Neither can come anywhere near the fuel and advancements of the Dreamliner (saving billions in fuel and maintenance costs. In fact, there have been rumors in Trade papers that the New Delta will take all 50 options beyond the first 18.

VP Deschamps:

""I don't think now we see a substitution for the 787 [with respect to] the range and efficiency. Right now, that aircraft remains the only aircraft for what we want to do," said Deschamps.

so..they are considering not being the North American launch customer and forfeiting the 18 firm orders of the most technological advanced aircraft made todate ..with delivery slots taken through at least 2014 to go forward using a 767 instead??...after American just announced orders for 42??

The last two illustrate the one thing I never understood about the latest NW livery - the "compass rose" logo on the right side of the plane has the "pointer" pointing to the northeast.

Jim

The last two illustrate the one thing I never understood about the latest NW livery - the "compass rose" logo on the right side of the plane has the "pointer" pointing to the northeast.

Jim

Jim..

they base it on the FLAG...some cock a mamie "uniform" direction. They all "get it" but us? (the money they spend for "expert" advice is staggering for such insanity.

regarding the flag..the field of stars is always oriented towards forward of the ship or plane, and the stripes are always pointed towards aft...moving in the same direction when the ship or plane moves forward.

So, if you look at a plane/ship from its port side, the flag will look "correct", but from the starboard side, it looks reversed... so basically the logo is not pointing northeast on the right side but rather the mirror image of the logo on the left(its just a reversed logo)...was my first impression.

Jim..

they base it on the FLAG...some cock a mamie "uniform" direction. They all "get it" but us? (the money they spend for "expert" advice is staggering for such insanity.

regarding the flag..the field of stars is always oriented towards forward of the ship or plane, and the stripes are always pointed towards aft...moving in the same direction when the ship or plane moves forward.

So, if you look at a plane/ship from its port side, the flag will look "correct", but from the starboard side, it looks reversed... so basically the logo is not pointing northeast on the right side but rather the mirror image of the logo on the left(its just a reversed logo)...was my first impression.

Why they ever took such a universally recognized logo (won which has won many awards, BTW), and traded it for the crap we have now is beyond me...

Why they ever took such a universally recognized logo (won which has won many awards, BTW), and traded it for the crap we have now is beyond me...

I always figured the current logo was reminiscent of the past, the circle representing the "great circle" routes shortly after orient was added to the name when they started flying asia and the pointer to nw..it seemed the name was often abbreviated "nwa" for as long as I can remember, and basically all they did was take the large N and move it a few degrees in that circle and used a smaller case n and added the w,a. I kind of like the sleek contemporary modern look..when it changed over in 2003(after getting use to it). my personal favorite logo was the one used prior to changing in 1989, the logo used in the 1970's though 80's..as it reminds me of a different time..

I also like how DAL uses more of a traditional widget(with the new livery and font) as opposed to the softer rounder widget/font they used previously..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts