East Reserves...Cash in your vacation time.

Twicebaked

Veteran
May 22, 2003
All reserves need to think about this information.

We DO NOT get paid vacation time!!!!
The months that we reserves can hold vacation i.e. Jan, Feb, Mar, and MAYBE Apr. we don't break our 73 hour guarantee.
So, the vacation days that you get paid for (actually you don't) are part of that 73 hour guarantee.

January 2008 you will receive a 73 hour guarantee. If you have 7 days vacation, you will STILL only get 73 hour guarantee.
All that OUR vacation is is UNPAID time off. It should be above your 73 hours, but it's NOT!!!!

Think about this. If you pick up ETB through your vacation time you are getting your 73 hours and then WORKING extra hours.
You can sit around and NOT work...(which we won't) and collect 73 hours and CASH IN your vacation time and NOT HAVE TO WORK through it.

This is a legal contractual thing that the company will not tell you about because they are getting away with not paying you anything more than what they were going to in the first place.....73 HOURS!!!!!!!!

There is a form on theHub called a pay advance. You have to do it at least 15 days prior to when you want the money.

You will receive 70% up front and the the other 30% the next pay date that has past your assigned vacation dates.

I don't know about you, but if I am going to have to work through my vacation anyway........I'd rather cash it in and get the money and NOT WORK!!!!!

WE HAVE NOT BEEN PAID VACATION IN YEARS..................IT'S TIME YOU GET PAID FOR IT....CASH IT IN!!!!!!!!

OK, let me see if I have this correct.

You are schedule for 73 hours, you take vacation for 40 hours and you expect to get paid for the 73 and the 40? WTF? What parallel universe are you living in?

A blockholder with a line that pays 80 hours, and the vacation days didn’t knock out any trips will be paid line value+vacation. If a reserve is guaranteed 73 hours to be on call to the company for 19 days and the vacation falls into off days they should be paid the same...the reserve is still on call to the company and they should be compensated for the days on call.

OK, let me see if I have this correct.

You are schedule for 73 hours, you take vacation for 40 hours and you expect to get paid for the 73 and the 40? WTF? What parallel universe are you living in?

I think what they are saying is that in the US Airways Universe, a reserve who does not file to be paid for their vacation in advance loses extra cash, because they will not get the extra money if they don't ask to be paid in advance.

I have seen this in the contract, but do not know how it all works out for reserves. My luck would be they would then deduct my vacation time from my 73 hours on the next pay, leaving my paycheck short for the month. This is something I will have to look into.

All vacation is suppose to be is guarenteed time off with pay and that is exactly the way it works out, I was only going to get 73 hours of pay and I will receive 73 hours of pay. Because my vacation is always in the winter months, I have no idea how it would work out if I were able to get vacation days during the summer when I fly more hours.

If it is true that you can get paid 70% in advance for your vacation and still receive 73 hours for your vacation month, then why isn't the union shouting this from the roof tops because every single reserve who isn't filing is saving the company money.

When I have vacation, my paycheck is usually lower than it is normally. I don't know why, but it takes me awhile to get caught up after a month with vacation. Here is my thought. We get a 73 hour guarentee to be on call with the company for x amount of days. In the winter I typically fly the first week and then I don't get called again until the holiday. I am still sitting on call for that middle of the month. Why do I not get credited the 2:30 a day to sit there. I figured up what I would have gotten paid last December if I had been paid 2:30 per day on call, and it was 83 hours. Basically during a holiday month when we may end up only flying 40-50 hours, if we got credited for every day we sit on call, plus whatever vacation we have, we would be getting paid 80-90 hours for that month. So basically, 5 days that we sit on call, we are not getting paid anything. I have talked to other flight attendants who have figured this up as well. We somehow need to figure out a way for every single reserve to put claims in for the uncredited days that we sit on call. We just deserve to get paid accordingly.

The reserve is paid for vacation days...

As a reserve I am not on call to the company on vacation days, lets say I have 7 days vacation in the month so that would reduce my reserve guarantee by 7 days. The vacation days would pay me for those days at the contract rate and make me whole for the days i missed being on call.

If you didn’t fly in the month then your pay would be days AVL days + vacation...equaling about 73 hours.
Say you DID fly...and you flew over 73 without touching any vacation days…then your pay would be hours flown+any vacation days that kept intact.

Also, as a reserve I have the ability to slip up to all my days off in front of or behind my awarded vacation time of 7 or more days, and up to 3 days off on vacation of less than 7 days.

The only thing asking for an advance would accomplish would be getting money sooner but a lot less. Those checks are taxed much different. So, if you have 7 days of VAC in MARCH you are due 28 hours. You want that paid out in JAN fine. But when you get to march you still can't fly on those VAC days and you will get a 45 hour check. I agree the system is just a disaster and the vacation is one facet that again doesn't seem fair. I think a higher rate for a reserve or an override if you don't make your time. So start penalizing the company for not using people. They key here is moving toward a higher guarantee like other majors.

Say you DID fly...and you flew over 73 without touching any vacation days…then your pay would be hours flown+any vacation days that kept intact.

Also, as a reserve I have the ability to slip up to all my days off in front of or behind my awarded vacation time of 7 or more days, and up to 3 days off on vacation of less than 7 days.

There in lies the point............WE DON'T and WON'T BREAK GUARANTEE!!!!!

Go ahead and work through your vacation. I will be cashing mine in and getting the same amount and not be working!!!!!!

The only thing asking for an advance would accomplish would be getting money sooner but a lot less. Those checks are taxed much different. So, if you have 7 days of VAC in MARCH you are due 28 hours. You want that paid out in JAN fine. But when you get to march you still can't fly on those VAC days and you will get a 45 hour check. I agree the system is just a disaster and the vacation is one facet that again doesn't seem fair. I think a higher rate for a reserve or an override if you don't make your time. So start penalizing the company for not using people. They key here is moving toward a higher guarantee like other majors.

You are so missing the point.

It may be taxed differently, you may be owed 28 hours and you might be getting it earlier....................

BUT, as a reserve who is not making their time and only getting 73 hours you AREN'T getting paid ANYTHING extra for your vacation!!!!!!!

You are gettinig 73 hours NO MATTER WHAT!!!! If you cash out............you at least get something for you vacation rather than NOTHING!!!!

You know, you will either understand this or not.........It can't be explained any other way that this!!!

While you are getting 73 hours with your vacation in January and nothing more....I will be gettiing 73 hours in January with NO vacation and some extra money cause I cashed it out. So,you go ahead and work ETB to make some money through your vacation while I sit home.

Beachboy had brought something to my attention that I had to investigate.

It seems that Vacations and Payroll don't know what each other is doing.

According to Vacations your payout will NOT be deducted from your 73 hour guarantee.....THAT IS NOT TRUE!!!!!!!

According to payroll.....I think I trust them more......it WILL BE DEDUCTED!!!!

So, in essence YOU STILL DON'T GET PAID VACATION, but if you cash it out...you will get screwed in the end if you don't reach guarantee.

Sorry that that information was left out of the companies equation!!!!!

So, it seems that you ARE better off working ETB than not!!!!! :down: