Employment with U.S. Air

Bones82

Mar 24, 2008
Hello all. I just finished up a masters degree in Aviation safety with aspirations of one day getting involved with air accident investigation. I decided that starting with a job in the airlines would be the simplest and safest route to my career goals.

Up until now all of my experience has been at the supervisor level in airport operations. The switch to an airline environment has me somewhat nervous.

I had a job interview with U.S. Air for a shift manager, ramp/baggage operations at one of their hub cities. While the interview went exceptionally well, I did not take an opportunity to ask some basic questions such as benefits and starting pay for the position (non-union, first level manager). I was hopeful that someone might be able to give me some insight as to what I might be getting into with this position or any other advice you might think to be valuable.

Thank you.

Hello all. I just finished up a masters degree in Aviation safety with aspirations of one day getting involved with air accident investigation. I decided that starting with a job in the airlines would be the simplest and safest route to my career goals.

Up until now all of my experience has been at the supervisor level in airport operations. The switch to an airline environment has me somewhat nervous.

I had a job interview with U.S. Air for a shift manager, ramp/baggage operations at one of their hub cities. While the interview went exceptionally well, I did not take an opportunity to ask some basic questions such as benefits and starting pay for the position (non-union, first level manager). I was hopeful that someone might be able to give me some insight as to what I might be getting into with this position or any other advice you might think to be valuable.

Thank you.

Good luck with that. If you get the job, find a copy of the IAM Fleet Service agreement and READ it! KNOW it. Best advice I could give you.

Good luck with that. If you get the job, find a copy of the IAM Fleet Service agreement and READ it! KNOW it. Best advice I could give you.

Is that the Union Contract manual? If it is my interviewer clued me in on that. But thank you regardless.

I wouldn't waste my time with USair ,
the pay the managers crap and abuse them . 2 weeks vacation / working holidays / nightturns for about 10 yrs depending on your location.

If your looking at working in Philadelphia. IF you are of age to drink . YOU will be a DRINKER... You may even start sniffing glue.

My advise is try to get in with the NTSB and what ever level and work your way up to your degree.

It's not a manual. It's a contract. And trust me, we will make sure you abide by it!
I never worked for an airline, but I managed union shops for ten years. Teamsters (UPS) and a supermarket (UFCW) - and there is no better advice anyone can give you other than learn that contract inside and out. Also, if there are multiple contracts within an organization, learn those too, even if they don't pertain directly to the people you supervise...

the pay the managers crap and abuse them . 2 weeks vacation / working holidays / nightturns for about 10 yrs depending on your location.
I don't agree necessarily... It may not end up being a job that you want to do for the rest of your life, but the airline industry is very unionized, and managing in a union environment is something that you'll never learn in school. I can guarantee no matter how hard it is, it will be a learning experience that will help you out a lot in the future... Especially if you ever want to start your own business someday, or manage for a non-union company.

If your looking at working in Philadelphia. IF you are of age to drink . YOU will be a DRINKER... You may even start sniffing glue.

My advise is try to get in with the NTSB and what ever level and work your way up to your degree.
I would but NTSB jobs are hard to come by.

Thanks for the Info. I don't drink and will not sniff glue. I am also used to being abused, however I would rather not be.

I don't agree necessarily... It may not end up being a job that you want to do for the rest of your life, but the airline industry is very unionized, and managing in a union environment is something that you'll never learn in school. I can guarantee no matter how hard it is, it will be a learning experience that will help you out a lot in the future... Especially if you ever want to start your own business someday, or manage for a non-union company.

HaHa. 90% of everything I have done in my career I have not learned in school, and I have had close to 19 years of it. What's one more thing. Thanks for the input. Much appreciated.

''Bones''-
Only advice I could give you is STOP....look elsewhere. You sound like you have the experience
or schooling to work someplace better than a USAirways management experience. I'm guessing you
interviewed for PHL maybe by Gorman, if so, how about these numbers, 1 shift manager for every 14
employees in PHL. A turnover rate comporable to that of a internship. If you do decide to jump in I
suggest you make friends or attempt to get a repoir' built with those you will have to interact with. I
have seen more wannbe managers than I care to count, each one ready to help only to find out thier
hands are tied. You will not have the ability to manage but will be held accountable for all that happens. The perverbial s*#T goes downhill and the upper management will never take thier blame. Talk to some of the managers currently working in PHL at the lowere level, hell talk to the ones' at the upper levels. They hate it. Many wish they could take a step back and make a different decision. Many still do, hence the opening's.

Please think, not about going into management but about working in particular for USAirways. There is a pecking order and you'll be looking up. The only ones that stay are hold overs form years ago. All the upper levels are managers coming from other airlines as US doesn't promote
from in house. You'll need friends.............just look elsewhere, for your own peace of mind.

Your pay is around $30,000 or so but with experience I know of an ex-ramper who left and came
back as a manager who is making around $48,000, and he hates it. He is already looking elsewhere.

Thanks

Not to pick nits, but the name of airline is "US Airways" No periods after the "U" and the "S".

And at the risk of joining the 'nattering nabobs of negativity' , my advice would be to stay on the airport ops side of the industry. Working for an airport authority is a bit more secure than working for an airline. And you still get to be around the airplanes.

Starting pay as Shift Manager is less than a topped out ramper is a union station.

Shift Manager pay at the NEW US Airways ranges from $34K to $52K depending on experience and your ability to negotiate. Prior to the merger, US East pay was somewhat higher, closer to $45K to $60K, particularly if you were hired in a hub city. Hope this information is helpful.

Spin