Employment with U.S. Air

I had a job interview with U.S. Air

I was hopeful that someone might be able to give me some insight as to what I might be getting into with this position or any other advice you might think to be valuable.

Thank you.

I usually learn the name of the company when I seek a position.

Bones, trust me, ANY OTHER airline is fine. You are way too talented to be working with the clowns in management. They couldn't manage a wet fart.

Us Airways is a shattered culture, America West is a joke, and all they do is play favoritism, and use scare tactics. The only people that stick around are in denial, or just here so they can drop their shifts and fly for free. I work with a guy who literally has NO days EVER in his workbrain.

You will learn nothing, and this place will stress you out. There is no union, there is no structure. Nobody in our administration services have a straight answer and getting the simplest of tasks done is like pulling teeth. It took me a month to get 4 hours of overtime in my check because nobody cared to follow up on my request.

There is no contract for shift managers, and they make dog#### wages. Again, I cannot stress enough that, if you work in PHX, your colleagues are complete MORONS and extremly lazy. I

Good luck on the new job. I agree you will need to know to IAM agreement inside and out. I worked for USAirways for 30 yrs and the last 12 as a Shift Manaager in CLT,PIT, and BWI.... It was a great job but you will need to know Operations, Crew Movement, Fueling, and how an airplane works. You will also need to have a basic knowledge of the FAA air route system and Ticketing and Customer Service because you will be called upon to help out on the Counter and Gates.... I had a great time at USAirways and still do not know where the time went.
Good Luck....
Tom Schwartz

The shift manager position is not highly sought after. They are placing new hires in it because experienced employees don't want it. Except for those that simply don't want to work the front line all day. No $$$, loss of union seniority protection. In event of merger you could be gone over night.

On the plus side, someone here posted that his shift manager was bragging that 55 million dollars has been set aside ... to be split among mid level manages based on performance. A good move that may attract more experienced workers.

If you want to be an NTSB Investigation, I would recommend becoming a flight attendant, get involved with inflight training, cabin safety. Then apply for FAA cabin inspector for certain ailrines, etc. Better way of getting to your goal. Need inflight experience. My trainer, HP, is now an FAA cabin inspector for United and Frontier in DEN. She was a flight attendant, worked many years as a trainer, and then safety manager. Her goal was the same as yours. Airport operations may give you a good percpective, but, you need inflight experience first and foremost. JMHO. :)

If you want to be an NTSB Investigation, I would recommend becoming a flight attendant, get involved with inflight training, cabin safety. Then apply for FAA cabin inspector for certain ailrines, etc. Better way of getting to your goal. Need inflight experience. My trainer, HP, is now an FAA cabin inspector for United and Frontier in DEN. She was a flight attendant, worked many years as a trainer, and then safety manager. Her goal was the same as yours. Airport operations may give you a good percpective, but, you need inflight experience first and foremost. JMHO. :)

This is excellent advice. Trust me a ramp shift manager at this airline will NOT cut it.

Hey guys, I want to thank you all very much! I have gotten a lot of good advice.

Remember you will be judged on where you are coming from. USAirways has a crappy reputation, and will not open doors for you. Stay on the Ops side of things, you have a better shot. Besides if you take a Shift Manager's Job, the majority of your time will be spent chasing down drones who are sleeping or playing hearts in the breakrooms rather than working the flights they are supposed to, that will be a great use of your Masters degree!

Well thanks guys for all your time, but while I was waiting for US Airways to call me back, United called me , interviewed me, and hired me in their safety department.

Again, thanks for everyone's time and effort responding to my question.

Well thanks guys for all your time, but while I was waiting for US Airways to call me back, United called me , interviewed me, and hired me in their safety department.

Congratulations! You will be working for a real airline.
Err...do you think you could get some of us a job there? :D

Congrats a good career move that you will not regret!

Good Luck ''Bones''-
You may still end up being our manager after
all the merger talks calm down anyway..........United is a good move
and in the safety dept., even better.

Dont work for this outfit!
topped off as a p/t wages for 2005-4.0 hr per day..15,117.00
wages for 2006-17,127, do not have 07's yet..
THESE ARE POVERTY WAGES>

I repeat, do NOT work for US AIR>>

It has truely become a CHEAP Company-cannot even classify it as an airline,and not Im NOT embarrased to say what my poverty wages were=-this reflects mgmt!

The NTSB has a help wanted add in this weeks Aviation Week magazine. It might be worth checking out.