ETOPS cert on 737-800s

I believe that AS would only jump into the Hawaii market, if one of the major players cut back substantially. For example, if NW cut its SEA-HNL and PDX-HNL flights, I could see the possibility of AS starting those routes.

My Opinion....

I seriously doubt that Alaska would invest the time and money necessary to ETOPS certify the 738 fleet just to possibly save a few miles on the once daily LAX-CUN round trip. This is much too smart and too conservative a company to do that.

My belief is that AS will be in the SEA to HNL or OGG market perhaps both within a year, two at the most. Hawaii is now a year-round market with appeal only lagging in a couple months a year.

Seems to me to be a no-brainer. That said, it remains to be seen how the NW codeshare impacts this possibility.

-Sponge

It has to be for Hawai'i flying. There is no need for ETOPS for any other reason. Hawai'i will be a great addition to the AS network. It will help AS to draw additional revenue as there is a very loyal AS passenger base to draw from. just my thoughts........

Maybe they will start Anchorage to Kamchatka! :lol:

Seriously, though...
Has anyone considered Seoul, Korea or Tokyo? It's only 645 miles further from Anchorage to Tokyo than Anchorage to Honolulu. And, only 750 miles further than Seattle to Honolulu.

didn't AS used to fly services into Russia?

Yes, back in the mid '90's Alaska served Magadan, Khavarosk and later added Petropavlovsk and Vladivostok. After operating the services several years using aux tank equipped MD-83's, Alaska abandoned the service due to poor economic conditions in Russia and more lucrative uses for the metal elsewhere.

Never had a layover there, never wanted to. That said, I heard some pretty cool stories from people who had spent some time over there.

Going forward, I doubt AS will re-enter these markets anytime soon. My bets are on Atlanta, Hawaii and maybe Houston?

-Sponge

Looks like a little of both...

From the article:

“Without life vests or rafts, our aircraft must stay within 50 nautical miles of land,â€￾ says Scott Ridge, managing director of technical operations and support. “Along with equipping our –800s with life rafts, ETOPS will give us the ability to fly the most direct over water routes to Cancun, saving time and money. It will also allow us to apply for additional markets to Cancun under a new bilateral agreement between the U.S. and Mexico. Although we have not currently decided upon any new markets, we move forward with the ETOPS process for our 737-800s. This will eliminate the time and expense of retrofitting existing aircraft in the future, putting us in position to take advantage of new opportunities, including Hawaii.â€￾

Out of curiosity, did AS add a hydraulic driven pump for the alternate electric supply?

Not required - you have 3 sources of power with the 2 engine driven generators and the apu generator.

Not required - you have 3 sources of power with the 2 engine driven generators and the apu generator.
it should be a hydrulic driven generator, as a back-up source, the 757-200ER,757-300ER and 767-200ER,767-300ER, have hydrulic driven generator to be ETOPS certified, And the 767-400ER,777-200,777-200IGW,777-200LR,777-300ER have BUGs(Back Up Generator) to be ETOPS certified, 180 mins single engine, those CFM56-7B use engine oil, not like it older brother CFM56-5 series, which sips the engine oil.