Expert: Airline Has '50-50' Chance

Status
Not open for further replies.
networking said:
It needs to be standard procedure to inform the passenger VERBALLY about the new bag weight limits when they purchase a ticket throught Res. Something like..."Please remember that you are allowed only two bags to check per person. Up to 50 pounds there is no extra charge, between 50 and 70 the cost is $25.00, and over 70 pounds the charge is $80.00. These rules are being strictly enforced at the airport." Now I know this would add to the call times, but just think about the money it would save in other areas. If this is already being done I haven't heard about it. If they never talk to a person over the internet, than they need to put it in bold print on top of their new itinerary they receive in the mail. Some airports do not weigh every bag. Many do not even have a ticket counter scale (imagine that?). Regardless, the public needs to be educated. They are still bringing their bookshelves and kitchen sinks.
At least four times out of five, I use only carry-on luggage (which fits neatly in the overhead without going length-wise). But last week I needed to check bags and wanted to confirm what the allowance was. When I called the CP line I was told two bags up to 70 lbs, and if I went over that, it was $80 for weight or number of bags. I was pretty sure it was a 50 lb limit, so asked her to double-check. The CP person, on checking, confirmed it was 50 lbs for domestic travel. But I didn't hear anything different about the $80. $80 is ridiculous, $25 or even a little more is reasonable for overweight, or even for an extra bag. If US had (or do they?) reasonable charges for these things perhaps they could make a little extra revenue when there are extra bags. Making it unclear what the real policy is just discourages me. I guess I'll go look at the web-site again...

The passengers are catching on!

An ERJ had restrictions (is there any other kind?), so the rampies left a bunch of checked bags on the cart. Why load them, to turn around and unload them? And the restrictions on the release are a guideline, at best. INTO the cockpit goes the paperwork with the final pax/cx numbers. OUT comes the word - 15 bags are to be denied due to W&B.

Keep in mind - it's a pretty good wait from the time the numbers hit the cockpit until the numbers come out. Every port window had a face in it, and you could read the unspoken question - will my bag make it?

And even though the PSS explained the deal, there were some unhappy campers when they watched their bags ride off.

It gets better. The next few flights are all express. And restricted (is there ANY OTHER KIND?). So the left-behind bags don't ride. So the left-behind bags didn't leave town until a mainline flight 6 hours later.

Saving the company, one RJ at a time.

Domestic bags 51-70 pounds is $25.
Bags 71-100 pounds is $80.
A third checked bag is $80.

I think if they lowered the third checked bag to $25-35 dollars it would make more sense. I know lots of agents who cringe at the thought of telling someone its $80.

tadjr said:
Domestic bags 51-70 pounds is $25.
Bags 71-100 pounds is $80.
A third checked bag is $80.

I think if they lowered the third checked bag to $25-35 dollars it would make more sense. I know lots of agents who cringe at the thought of telling someone its $80.
TadJr:

The $80.00 is on purpose. It is supposed to be punitive
so that the customer is discouraged from bringing too
much luggage.

Why do air travelers feel the need to bring everything
they own on a 7 day trip to MCO? Nobody has been
able to answer that question on this thread.

Air travelers need to learn how to pack light. Period.

SpinDoc said:
TadJr:

The $80.00 is on purpose. It is supposed to be punitive
so that the customer is discouraged from bringing too
much luggage.

Agreed the $80.00 is punitive and for a reason.

No answer to the question really needs to be given to travelers. If they fill the need to pack their house for a 7 day trip and take it to MCO, so be it As long as the read the back of their ticket jacket and know they will have to pay the price. Of course barring any restrictions i.e.weight and balance, security etc.

All travelers have to learn is to open up their wallets if they cannot pack light.

PineyBob said:
Also a question for ypu. Is everyone who disagrees with you a wacko or did you reserve that spot specially for me?
You're not alone Bob.
Anyone who doesn't agree with him he uses his typical response of name calling and if that doesn't work you're labeled as a rightwing conservative wacko. Then it's on to the pity party of how he's just done his job each day at his hanger (of which he should as that's what he's PAID to do) and how all his co-workers read his postings on the walls of the hanger or was it the restroom?? After all that has failed he's off to the I don't even read your posts anymore because I don't want to waste my time rant and then he preaches like he's the savior of all commen men. Splashed in there are little flashes of him playing doctor and giving advice on medical conditions as well as how he's talked to doctors that are sharing personal information of other patients (surprisingly all UAIR employees which is not exactly legal nor ethical btw) and how it's all someone elses fault people are in the legal, health and financial shape they are in. His pattern is actually pretty consistent as well as comical.

The "I don't even read your posts anymore" line is especially amusing, since "anymore" appears to be measured in single-digit-seconds. Quite a short attention span, one might think.

mweiss said:
The "I don't even read your posts anymore" line is especially amusing, since "anymore" appears to be measured in single-digit-seconds. Quite a short attention span, one might think.
That's right and I've seen you take your share of those rantings. I guess we could form our own support group huh MWeiss? :D

(mweiss Jun 27 2004, 10:30 PM)

(MrAeroMan Jun 27 2004, 10:34 PM)
That's right and I've seen you take your share of those rantings. I guess we could form our own support group huh MWeiss?

Ooch

SpinDoc said:
No, nobody's felt the need to answer, since, frankly, it's none of your business why they feel that need. The airline has a Contract of Carriage which states the terms of the agreement between the customer and the airline. If the airline can't choose equipment wisely, such that luggage rarely rides with the passengers, that is not the customer's problem.

Nonetheless, I'll give some answers.

They don't travel often, so they don't know all of the ins and outs of packing light. As a road warrior, I learned how to get a week out of a rollaboard, but that's in part because I purchased goods specifically for that purpose (few people have travel hairdryers, for example) and in part because I traveled often enough that I learned how to do it well. This time of year is when the infrequent travelers fly around, so there's more luggage to lug.

They're going for more than a week. I know when I travel to Europe, I tend to go for closer to two weeks. Since I don't know the laundry situation in many of the places I travel to, I try to bring enough clothing. I also like to ensure that I have the right stuff to dress at different levels (beach to formal restaurant). Since my shoes are mighty large, I find myself with a good amount of luggage for such trips.

They're taking things that are intended to be one-way. For example, people often bring gifts or return from trips with various things they buy while there. I had trouble the last time I came back from France because I bought several bottles of wine. Maxed out my luggage allotment on that trip. :)

Do you need more answers?

Occasional users do not need to redesign their lives for your comfort. Not everyone is blessed with enough cash to fly 100,000 miles a year.

airplaneman/piney

Looks as though we have a mutual affection club going because I too enjoy reading your posts as well.

They keep me focused on what’s really important in life.

And then we have BOBBY, that would piney, anyway his posts read like a Stephen King horror novel in which the his alter-ego tries in vain to come across as an intellectual when all that shows up is a tawpie. That’s not the best part! I love it when the split personality comes through showing us love for labor and then in the next post loathing of labor, of course the later showing predominance after his meeting with management.

I sure am glad both you fellows are contributing all the insight and wisdom because we the members of labor so desperately need to hear truth, to be able to breath the fresh air of sanity, we are truly blessed and honored and hope you continue your postings such as they are.

Keep up the good work!

R.A.
You are so correct and hit the nail on the head. After 2 previous concession rounds the company has done nothing visable to make money. They keep saying they have to be a low cost carrier, yet they do nothing that the low cost carriers are doing. SW still does not preassign seats. Thousands of US agent hours are spent negotiating seat assignments only to have a schedule change and all those hours wasted. Some airlines are now charging $40 for a preassigned seat. JetBlue has a work at home res agent workforce, saving the company thousands$$$$ in rents and maintenance. HP treats their NR like royalty, not like something on the bottom of a shoe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back