F/a Work Rule Changes

s80dude

Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
USA
Read on Reuters that DL management is changing flight attendant work rules. Other than going to an hourly rate, what else is being unilateraly imposed on the work group?

Delta Air Lines Readies Work-Rule Changes
Friday, October 10, 2003 12:13 AM ET

Delta Air Lines (DAL, news) is rolling out major work-rule changes for its flight attendants in a move the company said will increase productivity but that some flight attendants say is a wage cut in disguise, Friday's Wall Street Journal reported.

The Story

I am still digesting it. There are some wins, and some losses for us. I have not decided when looking at the whole whether we came out ahead or behind.
However, I can see that the productivity gains will benefit the company's bottom line.

There were changes to pay, reserve, authorized leave, the bidding process, vacation, and open time.

Well, whatever happens I just hope that the f/a's will come out on top in the end.

I talked with a couple of friends today who are flight attendants with Delta. According to them there is a pay cut in the changes, but there are some really good features also. For instance, you can trip trade with people from other bases which might cut down on the commuting for some flight attendants. Southwest already allows this. I think it's a neat idea. Say, you were thinking of moving from ATL to DFW. You could trade with a DFW flight attendant for a couple of months to see if you liked the flying out of DFW without having to make a long-term commitment to a base.

jimntx said:
I talked with a couple of friends today who are flight attendants with Delta. According to them there is a pay cut in the changes, but there are some really good features also. For instance, you can trip trade with people from other bases which might cut down on the commuting for some flight attendants. Southwest already allows this. I think it's a neat idea. Say, you were thinking of moving from ATL to DFW. You could trade with a DFW flight attendant for a couple of months to see if you liked the flying out of DFW without having to make a long-term commitment to a base.
That all sound good for now. But, Delta does do whatever they want at anytime. Like the news article said, I wonder if a push for a union will take place. Delta did screw the last set of furloughs. They didn't offer any VLT's and just furloughed. If they had a contract, then DL would have been forced to offer VLT's.

wrx said:
That all sound good for now. But, Delta does do whatever they want at anytime. Like the news article said, I wonder if a push for a union will take place. Delta did screw the last set of furloughs. They didn't offer any VLT's and just furloughed. If they had a contract, then DL would have been forced to offer VLT's.
hold out DL - the BEST thing going for the company is lack of unions. that is clearly making DL a better company.

wnfan37 said:
hold out DL - the BEST thing going for the company is lack of unions. that is clearly making DL a better company.
What rock have you been under? ;)

wrx said:
What rock have you been under? ;)
Hey DL, here's what you can look forward to with a union:

"We always complain....

In unity,

Rock Salomon
American Airlines Flight Attendant BOS
Association of Professional Flight Attendants Member"

Nice one, WRX.

wnfan37 said:
Hey DL, here's what you can look forward to with a union:

"We always complain....

In unity,

Rock Salomon
American Airlines Flight Attendant BOS
Association of Professional Flight Attendants Member"

Nice one, WRX.
Why dont you post the entire story, instead of just one line?

Nice one, wnfan37. :rolleyes:

All in all, life is not too bad here at Delta, either under a rock, or standing tall on one.

These new rules are painful, but I am looking forward to some aspects that will be implemented. Something important to me is I can maintain my standard of living under them without spending more days at work and the flexibility of our job is maintained.

The big picture is I want to be a flight attendant at Delta making a decent wage in ten years. If Delta cannot make the transition to a streamlined competitor with the LCC's, I eventually will be looking for a job elsewhere. My employer has billions of dollars to pay back. If Delta does not change the way we do business, we will be at/near/in bankruptcy with the other legacy carriers.

These work rules are as humane as possible in this economy.

Pat Friend, President of the AFA (soon to be a divison of the CWA) once said "Over the years, Delta Airlines has maintained its union free status by keeping its wages up near the top of the industry and basically treating its employees well."

I expect both of these trends to continue.

ah

aislehopper said:
All in all, life is not too bad here at Delta, either under a rock, or standing tall on one.

These new rules are painful, but I am looking forward to some aspects that will be implemented. Something important to me is I can maintain my standard of living under them without spending more days at work and the flexibility of our job is maintained.

The big picture is I want to be a flight attendant at Delta making a decent wage in ten years. If Delta cannot make the transition to a streamlined competitor with the LCC's, I eventually will be looking for a job elsewhere. My employer has billions of dollars to pay back. If Delta does not change the way we do business, we will be at/near/in bankruptcy with the other legacy carriers.

These work rules are as humane as possible in this economy.

Pat Friend, President of the AFA (soon to be a divison of the CWA) once said "Over the years, Delta Airlines has maintained its union free status by keeping its wages up near the top of the industry and basically treating its employees well."

I expect both of these trends to continue.

ah
I hope it all works out for you folks at DL. I just wonder if the paycuts you will be taking will be going to fund Song? I read an article and it said that DL is spending millions on Song and can't afford it without paycuts from its employees. If I find the article again, I will post it for you.

Fly safe at DL. "The bird with the wavy gravy tail!" ;)

wrx said:
I just wonder if the paycuts you will be taking will be going to fund Song? I read an article and it said that DL is spending millions on Song and can't afford it without paycuts from its employees. If I find the article again, I will post it for you.
I would be interested in seeing an article that supports the proposition that "Delta cannot spend millions on Song without paycuts from its employees." Outside of a Labor publication, I doubt that one exists.

Delta is trying to get our cost structure in line with the LCC's to ensure our long term viability. This is the motivation for the change in work rules, not to come up with the money to pay for Song. To say that mainline is taking a paycut to fund Song is either a flamebait or defective reasoning.

Song is a different strategy for competing with the LCC's. So is the Delta connection.

Also, to call it a paycut is only telling half of the story. A flight attendant who flies less than 75 hours under the current rules and continues to fly less than 75 hours under the new rules will actually get a small raise. A flight attendant who flies more than 75 hours under the current rules will have to fly a couple of hours more under the new rules to make the same amount. However, this is mitigated by allowing us unlimited hours that will enable us to make more.

As I said earlier, there are some changes that I do not like with the new system. I will add now that the change to the pay system does not concern me too much.

Thanks for your concern and I hope you get back to work soon.

AH

aislehopper said:
Also, to call it a paycut is only telling half of the story.
Thanks for your concern and I hope you get back to work soon.
A paycut, is a paycut no matter how you look at it. It can be raising your medical benefit premiums or a flat out paycut.

Thanks for your concern but, I'm not on furlough.

wrx said:
A paycut, is a paycut no matter how you look at it. It can be raising your medical benefit premiums or a flat out paycut.

Thanks for your concern but, I'm not on furlough.
You are right. A paycut is a paycut, and a paycut is when someone lowers your book rate. However, those of us who fly 75 hours are going to have a slightly larger paycheck. That would be a raise. Those of us who want to take advantage of unlimited flying are going to see a more in our paychecks which will translate into a better lifestyle. Those on reserve are not going to have to worry about surviving on guarantee. They will be able to pick up time and have more control over their lives and earnings. The pay prong of the work rule changes ends up in our favor. We will have more control of our earnings, and we can move them upward if we need more income.

Medical premiums are not tied to work output or hours. They are tied to market forces. In this case, the rising cost of medical care in this country.

Don't be ashamed about being on pfurlough. It's not like you were pfired.

Regards,
ah

Back