NWA Caves in

CHICAGO, April 26 (Reuters) - Negotiators for the union representing Northwest Airlines Corp. (NWACQ.PK: Quote, Profile , Research) flight attendants have reached a tentative labor deal with the bankrupt carrier that could end a strike threat, the union said on Thursday.

The Association of Flight Attendants (AFA) said the deal achieves the requested $195 million a year savings target for the carrier but contains provisions more acceptable to the union, which previously rejected two tentative agreements.

The deal requires approval by AFA leaders before it can be sent to union members for a vote. Last July, the airline used court permission to void the workers' contract and impose concessions.

The AFA has threatened to strike against the No. 5 U.S. airline, which plans to exit bankruptcy by the end of June. But so far the union has been blocked by courts from striking.

A New York bankruptcy court earlier this month denied a motion by the AFA to change a ruling that allowed the airline to void their contract. The two parties have been in periodic labor talks for months.

The new tentative deal protects a $182 million bankruptcy claim that could yield about $15,000 to $18,000 per flight attendant, subject to market conditions, the AFA said.

Northwest has said it needs $1.4 billion a year in total labor savings to restructure.

The AFA argued that Northwest's improved financial performance since last summer invalidated the ruling allowing Northwest to impose pay cuts by voiding the previous contract.

© Reuters 2007. All Rights Reserved.

On the surface, this is good news....

I'm sure the devil is in the details; I'd be curious to see the full proposal (or at least changes to the 1st 2 TA's) when it comes out.

CHICAGO, April 26 (Reuters) - Negotiators for the union representing Northwest Airlines Corp. (NWACQ.PK: Quote, Profile , Research) flight attendants have reached a tentative labor deal with the bankrupt carrier that could end a strike threat, the union said on Thursday.
I assume you're joking with the title of this thread? Yeah, NWA caved in and accepted the exact same amount that they have been asking for since day one.

The FA's lost every court battle and were at risk of losing their claim, so they caved and accepted NWA's long-standing demands of $195M/year. There's really no other way to look at it. The AFA spin that this ends a strike threat is them trying to save face. Regardless, this is good news, and hopefully this gets ratified and we can all move forward.

I assume you're joking with the title of this thread? Yeah, NWA caved in and accepted the exact same amount that they have been asking for since day one.

The FA's lost every court battle and were at risk of losing their claim, so they caved and accepted NWA's long-standing demands of $195M/year. There's really no other way to look at it. The AFA spin that this ends a strike threat is them trying to save face. Regardless, this is good news, and hopefully this gets ratified and we can all move forward.

What kills a skunk is the publicity it gives itself. :shock: ~Abraham Lincoln

I have to assume that the title of this thread is satirical at best...

The fact is that the F/A's had the legal opportunity to strike NWA when the AMFA struck. That was the defining moment of our strike, and their now futile effort at saving face.

We knew the pilots would cross our picket lines, the F/A’s were unknown.

They chose their current path. They can now live with it.

They can claim whatever 'victory' of their choosing. The fact is they got their collective asses handed to them, as did all the other unions...

Welcome to the new Northwest! :(

The FA's lost every court battle and were at risk of losing their claim, so they caved and accepted NWA's long-standing demands of $195M/year. There's really no other way to look at it. :blink: Well at least this part we can agree on. Is it good news? No, just reality. They will accept, they already have by showing up for work under imposed terms. They had their chances and were to scared to do anything but to continue show up for work. Those with half a brain will leave as soon as they get their money.

True...True...True. the pilots went hat-in-hand and the F/A ended up spineless. For all the tough words, they ended up in worse shape than ever. Meanwhile the mechanics were handed...opportunity.

I have to assume that the title of this thread is satirical at best...

The fact is that the F/A's had the legal opportunity to strike NWA when the AMFA struck. That was the defining moment of our strike, and their now futile effort at saving face.

We knew the pilots would cross our picket lines, the F/A’s were unknown.

They chose their current path. They can now live with it.

They can claim whatever 'victory' of their choosing. The fact is they got their collective asses handed to them, as did all the other unions...

Welcome to the new Northwest! :(

NWA didn't cave in. Voting NO here. Highlights, highlights- we know what the lowlights are. Think its a mixed bag as of right now. Flew with a few with a resounding "NO" and some "Yes"

NWA attendants reveal deal's terms The agreement includes sick pay and work-rule improvements for the airline's 8,200 flight attendants.

Northwest Airlines flight attendants would receive higher sick-leave pay and 600 "early out" severance packages under a tentative agreement that the attendants union negotiated with the airline.

The Association of Flight Attendants (AFA) released a summary of the agreement on Friday night. The labor deal will be submitted to the carrier's 8,200 flight attendants for a ratification vote.

Not a word about hourly pay. Only about holding time and sick pay. Those are small ticket items affecting a small number of people. Looks like AFA caved in again.

story here

Well I don't even read the Star Tribune anymore- I think they are being paid by NW to write propaganda.

Only thing stuck out with me was sick pay (so what, I don't call in sick) and 4:15 averaging. Rest is garbage and very ambiguous and vauge that leads to lots of questions.

I think that since they wrote a "super summary" of what the highlights are I suspect it's not a very good one. Just waiting for the whole thing to come out.....

True...True...True. the pilots went hat-in-hand and the F/A ended up spineless. For all the tough words, they ended up in worse shape than ever. Meanwhile the mechanics were handed...opportunity.

AMAZING! When NW has been awarded concessions, how can this be a victory to labor?

NW caved in...err am I missing something here?

The pilots will do whatever they have to do to keep flying but why are the rest of the rank and file employees still at NW?

....."I think that since they wrote a "super summary" of what the highlights are I suspect it's not a very good one. Just waiting for the whole thing to come out.....
Ahh, just like the old days with OPU (our previous union), the iam. Now watch the dog and pony show come around. Pay no attention to the man behind the green curtain. :down:

Voting NO here. Flew with a few with a resounding "NO" and some "Yes"

Oh yes Jen. Just like the sympathy strike vote. Every F/A that came through my station on a daily basis was telling me how much they supported our cause and that they were voting to strike.

The same ones who wouldn't make eye contact with us on the picket line. The same ones who waved at us getting of the hotel bus, the same ones who told us how much they were behind us...as they trotted past to their respective flights...

save your breath...You know it will pass and you will take it, just like you have been ever since your missed opportunity. :up:

Latest posts