FAA proposes another fine for AA

An example of quality union craftsmenship? :lol: From the article: "In April 2008, pilots landing in Los Angeles noticed warning indicators going off, and mechanics traced the problem to the computer, according to an FAA document. Instead of fixing the computer as required by federal rules, the mechanics wrote up the incident as a problem with the auto throttle and the plane flew 10 flights with a broken computer, the FAA said. Another case involves inadequate inspections of rudder components on some Boeing 757 jets. In the third incident, the FAA said mechanics sent a plane back into service before final steps of a thorough maintenance review were checked off as completed. "

Just kidding, couldn't resist a chance to poke fun at unionism :lol:

I guess the gov + AA have a nice working relationship. AA gets ATI and in return the FAA gets to put on a dog n' pony show for the public of how on top of things the FAA is. Gov=good, corporations=bad. Win-Win. :up: :up: :up: I wonder if the fines will be reduced and if there will be news coverage?

I assume you're an aircraft mechanic and an expert one at that!

The fines will continue for as long as management is stupid, mechanics are lazy and the FAA has it in for AA.

The fines will continue for as long as management is stupid, mechanics are lazy and the FAA has it in for AA.

As an a/c mech, I live this point of view every day. I can't tell you how many times I see mechanics go to an aircraft after departure time with nothing more then a cup of coffee. It all comes down to lack of accountablity. We have mechs that are known as red or blue, because all they know how to do is bring either a red or blue roll of acars paper to the a/c. I've seen a manager take a plane OTS because the mech asigned to fix it at the gate can't handle it. We have another mech who can't pass the airport driving test. There is no ACCOUNTABLITY, from the top the bottom.

As an a/c mech, I live this point of view every day. I can't tell you how many times I see mechanics go to an aircraft after departure time with nothing more then a cup of coffee. It all comes down to lack of accountablity. We have mechs that are known as red or blue, because all they know how to do is bring either a red or blue roll of acars paper to the a/c. I've seen a manager take a plane OTS because the mech asigned to fix it at the gate can't handle it. We have another mech who can't pass the airport driving test. There is no ACCOUNTABLITY, from the top the bottom.

Tell us how many times! So they bring a roll of acars paper to answer an inop generator call?
Autopilot inop? Wow I didn't know a roll of acars paper can do an engine trim balance...

Wow, Duke, do you get this acars paper from the same place Jack got his Beanstalk beans?

So you're telling us that since ONE mechanic can't handle the fix, an a/c was taken OTS??????
What does that say about the manager?

Was he the ONLY mechanic on duty????????????
Where are you based, Duke?
There is a serious problem at your station and it is your obligation to step up to the plate and report all those involved......except yourself of course!

In the news report by Reuters. The MD82 aircraft with the computer broken was the air data computer, which the MD82 was reported as having two, and one computer failed.

Is there a test button to test these computer before flight? I would think that the flight crew might check these system before flight, like I would think they would test other systems.

I know that the one of the flight crew does a walk around the aircraft, but sometimes they do not, but that seem to be on thru flight. I quess if they don't smack some birds or they don't see sometime during flight that thing are ok. that ok with be. The good old saying if it aint broke don't fix it.

Its funny that the aircraft flew ten flights, I assume with no problems until it just happen to be landing at LAX then the air data computer fail. :unsure:

Does the air data computer send information to a flight management system ?

Does the auto flight system and auto throttle system send information to a flight management system ?

Maybe this is my the mechanic said that the auto throttle did not work. :unsure:

Maybe bad software in the air data computer or the computer got to warm and want to fail. :unsure:

Any way the flight crew made a safe landing. I love backup systems even if the flight crew is the last backup system. Anybody have their PC crash.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/FAA-proposes...ml?x=0&.v=2

And this is with licensed mechanics. Imagine the fines using unlicensed ones like the company wants.
The bottom line here is the training the mechanics receive, also the pressure to turn that A/C around management don't want to hear will take a few hours more in the smaller stations. the plane is still flyable it will make the pilots work. I agree about the unlicensed helpers because who here will risk themselves to sign the logbooks. Is auto throttle able to be MEL?

The bottom line here is the training the mechanics receive, also the pressure to turn that A/C around management don't want to hear will take a few hours more in the smaller stations. the plane is still flyable it will make the pilots work. I agree about the unlicensed helpers because who here will risk themselves to sign the logbooks. Is auto throttle able to be MEL?
It sounds like someone was not very familiar with the MEL and used an incorrect deferral.

It happens...normally with inexperienced line mechanics under pressure.

I have seen/had pilots hand me the MEL as I walked in the cockpit with the logbook.

Many times they are overlooking related systems that must be taken into consideration. That is why we are all airmen. Nobody will ever rush a pilot through a checklist, and no pilot will ever succeed in rushing me through diagnosing a logbook write-up and making sure it is covered by the MEL before deferring it.

This is nothing new!!!!!! the STP panel on a md80 aircraft is crude at best.Faults can be seen and logged on the digital flight guidance computer, just from pulling a circuit breaker during testing.So just dont assume anything. Also the bite on a airdata computer Not so hot,this is 50S era stuff.The RTS of the computers DFGCs is the best test available for the MD80.It may have well pass this moment failed the next. Just my two cents!!! Its always a judgement call.

Latest posts

Back